Community Based Half Life Mod Project

Pez

Headcrab
Reaction score
I am looking for enthusiasts who want to get involved in building a Half Life mod with a twist. The twist is that the story, code, models and assets are free to anyone to contribute and improve upon. I will make all the source repository publicly available on github.com and it is the community's contribution that drives and progresses every aspect of the game.

Rather than have a team of a few selected people working in a private source repository; I want to build a mod where anyone can chip in to improve the code, models, design to evolve the game. You just need to submit a patch to contribute and patches that improve the game will be applied.

Before I start to build the infrastructure (continuous integration, issue tracker, web server, dependency build tool, etc) to start the project, I want to get a number of how many people would be interested to contribute to this project.

Let me know your thoughts too.

Sounds like a really interesting and unique idea. You should definitely make sure you have an infrastructure in place to prevent trolls from damaging the mod or any of the assets.

Sounds like a really interesting and unique idea. You should definitely make sure you have an infrastructure in place to prevent trolls from damaging the mod or any of the assets.

Thanks for the encouraging words. To get the project started, I have created the git repo: https://github.com/algolicious/hl2mod

It is empty at the moment but will add the base code and README next week. I am also trying to bring innovation too and my first R&D idea that I am currently working on is adaptive AI using Bayesian learning (using my experience in algorithmic trading). Instead of statically setting the difficulty to either {easy, normal, difficult} I have written code that adapts the difficulty on how well you are performing using computational statistics so will increase or decrease the difficulty in real time.

I also want to make clear that I want it to be in the Half Life universe; perhaps exploring another character like a city 17 settler or keeping it to Gordon Freeman. Obviously limiting the scope is needed too (very much like the Minerva mod).

Back