Community Half-Life Comic Series Announced

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
While Half-Life is still one franchise Valve appears unwilling or unprepared to create an official comic series for, it would seem members of the community are jumping the gun and creating their own. Created by ex-ValveTime staff members Ross Gardner and Michael Pelletier, the recently announced "Half-Life: A Place in the West" takes place in the early few years following the Resonance Cascade and subsequent destruction of Black Mesa, placing it in the relatively unexplored period of time between both Half-Life and Half-Life 2.

HLComic.PNG

The relatively brief synopsis provided on the website homepage describes how the six-part comic series will follow three individuals who are "drawn to a strange, half-destroyed American city called Franklin", meaning that, while the story is set in the same fictional universe as the games we know and love, it will likely not feature any established characters or locations.

Unlike most community comics, A Place in the West was not created in Garry's Mod or the Source Filmmaker, instead adopting a hand-drawn art style similar to those used in Valve's own comic series. The series has been in production since May 2014 after originally being conceived in late 2013, and we've been told that each individual issue will feature around 30-40 pages released across six parts over a number months, reaching well into 2015.

page_0.png page_1.png page_2.png
While the first three pages of the first issue, "Following Portents", feature no dialogue or any indication about the kind of writing we can expect from the rest of the series, we shouldn't have to wait all that long to find out given the next part is due out in just under two weeks on Monday, November 3rd 2014. Given the relative lack of Half-Life news or content these past few years and with the tenth anniversary of Half-Life 2 coming up in just under a month, conditions for releasing this comic series could hardly be more ideal!

Last edited:
Looks good. I'll definitely be watching. Needs a hell of a lot more than two pages because it looks very promising already.

This is what Valve should have been doing all along. Good on these guys for getting it done and trying to expand on the HL universe.

This is what Valve should have been doing all along. Good on these guys for getting it done and trying to expand on the HL universe.
Valve doing this post-2008 without using it as build up for a new game would be a huge mistake. While Half-Life super nerds like us would just like the universe to be expanded a bit more, the vast majority of fans would be pretty pissed off at how or why Valve wasn't releasing a game, and was instead resorting to comic books.

A couple of comics, or other mediums, to fill in a ~10 year gap in the series would have gone over well. I think Marc's BreenGrub Twitter is a microcosm that can attest to that. Sure, it was eaten up mainly by Half-Life super nerds like us, but I think even the community at large would have been open to a larger, more developed continuation or side-scroll of the story through a medium like comics (only if Valve really is "continuing to work" on the next game).

I hope this comic reaches the larger community.

Last edited:
This is very cool. I shall anticipate the release of the first part. And of course, I expect each part to be delayed -- not for lack of punctuality or anything on the part of the team; I just don't think it would be truly "Half-Life" if we didn't wait unexpectedly long for the release.

i always wanted something that bridged the gap between HL1 and HL2

i just hope they don't treat the alien invasion like it's some generic zombie outbreak thing

the ones that go "humanity was the real enemy all along"

i always wanted something that bridged the gap between HL1 and HL2

i just hope they don't treat the alien invasion like it's some generic zombie outbreak thing

the ones that go "humanity was the real enemy all along"
Hey, stop spoiling The Walking Dead !

Back