company of heroes help needed please!

• Thread starter Deleted member 56031
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 56031

I really want to get this game with the expansion off of steam BUT I downloaded the opposing fronts demo and it keeps crashing! My pc is basically brand new and it has only ever crashed with 2 games before this and the RA 3 beta (emphasis on beta).

Is this typical of opposing fronts?
Is it fixed with the patches?
Is it cos I use vista 64 bit?
Is it cos I have a quad core processor?

please help :(

EDIT: I also keep hearing lots of stories of dreadful drm issues but this game still gets great praise so is it really worth it??

There's no DRM. You don't need a cd to run it. The only problem you might encounter is if you log into an account that was registered on a different cd key. Then all that happens is it asks you to reinsert the cd.

Honestly, at this point I would wait on buying the game. Relic has almost abandoned coherent support for the game lately as they're spending so much time on DOW2. Wait at least until September; then we'll know whether the support devs were really on vacation or just not paying attention.

well i've got:
q6600 intel processor
nvidia 9600gt sli
4GB RAM
vista home premium 64 bit

Well I'm guessing it's the 64-bit Vista. I got Company of Heroes: Opposing Fronts for free with my new comp (where I happen to have 64-bit XP installed) and the game kept on crashing at the first cinematics, I didn't even get to play. Crashing is actually a common problem on my new comp, the only games that work 100% perfectly are Age of Empires 3 and Darkstar One, and this is the reason I'm going to replace the OS with 32-bit XP Professional. It's cool that the 64-bit OS is capable of fully utilising my hardware, but it's not worth not being able to play anything.

I think i figured it out!

No other games have started to crash on me until i upgraded drivers now HL2 EP2 crashed on me. I think it's the new physX nvidia drivers that are causing the problems and others seem to be getting them as well. I'm downgrading then we'll see what happens.

Back