Steam Help Website Leak Mentions HL3

UndeadScottsman

Vortigaunt
Reaction score
These may be faked (as explained below), so nothing to get worked up about. I figured someone would post about them eventually though. Here's the skinny from SteamDB
https://steamdb.info/blog/recent-package-name-additions/
Today we updated SteamDB with package names from Valve's new help website after Nephrite found a method to get them.

Valve recently implemented functionality to automate some frequently asked Steam support questions such as permanently hiding a game from your Steam account and these package names being exposed are a result of them not hiding them when they added this. A similar issue occurred with app names as well.

Due to the way Steam works, we are now also able to guess some app names that were previously unknown based on what packages they are in. An example of this can be found here, where the 3 packages it is connected to clearly indicate what the name of the app would be. We ran a script that detected these kinds of apps and added their name to the "Last Known Name" field in the table on the top. This can also be seen in the app history with the source being "Best guess based on help website disclosure".

While this information comes straight from Valve and many of these kinds of leaks turned out to be real in the past, it is important to note that third-party Steam developers can create and name their own apps/packages, a noteworthy mention of developers doing this are these packages, in which they are trying to XSS Steam. (EDIT: It looks like the XSS packages might have been by Valve themselves. Thanks for letting us know, aiusepsi!)

Many things could also be old entries and as such no longer be in development/coming to Steam. An example of a previous leak that ended up being nothing (yet) is Halo 3.

TLDR: Half-Life 3 still not confirmed.

Here are the HL3 entries.

bYS04AJ.png

Half Life 3 Developer Comp
Half Life 3 for Beta Testing
Half Life 3

Almost made this post--yep it's about time. Also mentioned: Rise of the Tomb Raider :^)

Most likely fake is correct.

With that said, idle references to HL3 at this point are honestly boring and repetitive. Why does the community keep being surprised and excited as soon as any new reference is found? WE KNOW IT'S COMING, GET OVER IT.

With that said, idle references to HL3 at this point are honestly boring and repetitive. Why does the community keep being surprised and excited as soon as any new reference is found? WE KNOW IT'S COMING, GET OVER IT.
There there, I know it's hard.

But isn't it supposed to be Half-Life 3, not Half Life 3?
(Dat smelly smell that smells.)

Well, not everyone keeps up to date on every snippet of information. But regardless, It's more entertaining to be surprised and excited about stuff than to be jaded and grumpy about it, in my experience.

Well, not everyone keeps up to date on every snippet of information. But regardless, It's more entertaining to be surprised and excited about stuff than to be jaded and grumpy about it, in my experience.
Being jaded and grumpy is, at this point, far more realistic.

This is fake. Developers can change the name of their Steam app to whatever they want. I could change Lambda Wars to be called Half-Life 3 if I wanted to right now - and I would even remember to put the dash in unlike the screenshot in OP which says "Half Life 3".

Mark Laidlaw also confirmed via email the other day that this has nothing to do with Valve, so yeah.

Back