Composers who could share the same spirit with Half-Life ?

caste

Hunter
Reaction score
Came across my mind that question.

Gaming Community is getting older, since the release of Half-Life 2 EP2 passed so much time, everyone's got older now, video games also are becoming more serious in terms of violence, characters personality, story etc. So recently I started playing Half-Life 2 again and realized how is everything in this game so childish and naive, especially the characters, their personality, the way they talk and everything.
G-Man... can't even describe how stupid he is now, you start the game and finish it then you listen to his speech and right in that moment when you see the way he talks to Freeman, he treats us like we are the kids, spoils us with his unknown mysteries, his voice sounds like we are really playing his game and he is playing with us, after all he sounds like an old man with childish attitude, his smiles, look etc. I can't believe I was so hyped on this back in the day. In Half-Life 2 Episode Two G-Man was a bit different, more serious and creepy, but overall everything is still so childish. After all, it seems that G-Man is growing and changing with us. If VALVe ever come back with the next installment maybe it's about time to make it serious ?? Well, it's all my opinion.

As for me, I'm a big fan of Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross musicians (Nine Inch Nails, How to Destroy Angels, The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl) and I'd love to see their collaboration with VALVe on the soundtrack and sounds effects for the next installments. Their music, sound effects and instruments can go well together with the Half-Life universe, it's something that is way far from childhood or rather say it has nothing to do with it, just listen to his recent releases for the movies such as Gone Girl, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo or new album Hesitation marks. Electronic, guitar and industrial sounds are one of the reasons why they is so close to Half-Life, I'm not surprised why David Fincher, Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross collaborated on The Social Network, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Gone Girl. These movies involve cold reality, technologies, and cold thinking people who is damn good with all this stuff, so everything goes perfect together, it sets the mood and energize you. All this could be applied perfectly to the Half-Life Universe and specifically to the characters who suffers from their kindness and friendshipness, doesn't really fit to the environment that based on the themes like Post-Apocalypse, Transhumanism, Survivalism, Technologies etc. I believe we're still young but not the same who we are used to be, and I think now we need mature and cold spirit in Half-Life. Even the true nature of Gordon Freeman is causing only pain and destruction, such an ideal match to Nine Inch Nails.

half_life_2___episode_two__v2__by_tchiba69-d4xsm45.png
chikadeldragontatuado.jpg
cb0547a35941352ef232e7b957f3a41e.jpg

What do you think guys, what composer VALVe should've collaborated with ?

Last edited:
I'll not argue a lot, but In my opinion, HL needs to keep a "childish" touch:
It's important to have all those little jokes in this serious dark universe.
I don't want a 100% sad&dark game.

We need all those little scripts that make the game alive:
- scientist dying in the elevator - beginning of HL1,
- "Pick Up That Can" - beginning of HL2
- the crazy Father Grigori
- Lamar in the rocket - end of HL2ep2
- Magnusson complaints.
... I have so many in mind.. but, I stop my list here.

Even the crowbar itself is a non-serious weapon, and everybody loves it.

Back