Computer repair toolkit

Dog--

The Freeman
Reaction score
Anyone have one?

I need a computer repair kit with smaller screwdrivers most of all. I can't seem to find a good one. Mostly looking to repair laptops, but desktop PCs too. I figure this is a good place to ask, as most of you are technically inclined.

I originally started off with a tiny little £5 black box with swappable screwdriver heads, needle nose pliers, jewellery screwdrivers and wire cutters. Ooh found it!

7udo6.jpg

But this was pretty simplistic. It built my first computer but not enough stuff for repairs and other things I wanted to do. I found a company called Sprotek who make really nice kits specifically for computers and got myself the best one I could find, a 145 piece kit which I use for absolutely everything.

zTfJU.jpg

My favourite thing is the extendible magnetic wand for fishing out screws which fall down horrible places, really good for laptop rebuilds especially. The screwdriver has a clockwise and anti-clockwise ratchet (or you can turn it off completely) with a really nice anti-static finish. Comes with a soldering iron, knife, cushioned hammer, cutters, grabbers...pretty much everything you need. Not sure if they still make them but the company 'Sprotek' certainly might be someone to look at.

Damn.. That 145 piece is PERFECT. Magnetic wand sold it for me! It was so perfect I was going to buy it right now, but it seems that kit doesn't exist outside the UK (trust me when I say I've searched). And when the product is around $50, I'm not willing to pay $30 for shipping :(

I really do appreciate the help, however!

Nice find, I know these things are made in China and I guess there are different resellers across Europe and the Americas and this Rosewill company covers that I guess. It's pretty much identical with the same tools, just different coloured plastic. Hope you can track it down..that price is amazing, I had to pay much more :-(

That kit is pretty dope. I think I'll pick it up myself.

Why was I thinking about an application like CCleaner or Glary's Utilities?

I thought he was going to be asking about something like Hiren's Disk.

Ah, that'd explain why I couldn't find it, different name. Thanks higlac! I'm picking it up as well. Awesome looking kit, can't wait to get it and try it out! :D

Just got to wait until newegg gets it in stock, though.

I have a version of that kit from probably almost 10 years ago, it's pretty much exactly the same, right down to the needle-nose pliers never staying in their little compartment. It's a good set, but mine is showing its age. The soldering iron stopped working almost immediately.

I've never needed anything else. Then again, I've never had to "repair" anything"
Not just repair, but assembling as well. Also not just PCs, but any electrical work. I just need a decent toolkit.

I've always needed one, but never realized how bad until I tried cleaning my desktop PC and laptop yesterday. The desktop cleaning went ok, but it wasn't as thorough as I wanted. I didn't have the right tools. The laptop cleaning was a damn nightmare. The screws in the laptop stripped the screwdriver. Let me say that again. The SCREW stripped the SCREWDRIVER. What the ****. I can't even put it back together, because my screwdrivers (yes more than one got ****ed) are all stripped and garbage now.

I had the opposite problem, my screwdrivers stripped the screws. This is after I had to fix the screw-holes with JB weld. The metal insert broke off because the laptop wasn't put back together properly by a previous owner, and someone over-tightened a couple of screws to put it back together, pulling the screwhead through the plastic. I dare not disassemble this netbook again.

All you need is a single screwdriver.
Look who has only ever opened a custom built computer!

My dad got me this little screwdriver with all these bits that store inside it. He got it from a vendor who comes to sell stuff at the dealership he's a mechanic at. Its ****ing perfect for laptops. Its got a hexdriver and super tiny phillips for opening macs, and had flatheads which are pretty handy for prying. Rarely do I need anything else, but I fear the day I lose it/the bits.

AFHfS.jpg

Holy shit Vegeta got some HD update to his avatar. I knew i shouldnt have taken a sneak peak at this place. Everything is so different its frightening me.

Oh well, i gotta run now. Cya sometime in 2013 for my next peak!

Holy shit Vegeta got some HD update to his avatar. I knew i shouldnt have taken a sneak peak at this place. Everything is so different its frightening me.

Oh well, i gotta run now. Cya sometime in 2013 for my next peak!

It takes you that long to peak? What kind of drugs you taking?

I wouldn't advocate buying a whole kit, but if you want to be a Super Repair Nerd Extraordinaire, you'll need:

-regular Phillips (I highly recommend a carbon steel bit)
-smaller Phillips
-micro Phillips for hard drives and laptops
-Allen key set
-Torx set (or a security Torx set, even. Some PCs in the 90s have them, stupidly)
-those ****ing foot long Torx that early Macintosh and G3/4s use
-those ****ing pentalobe Torx that modern Macs use
-a single medium flathead made out of unobtainium to pry open any little shitbox that is stuck together from age and dust

With that you'd be able to open almost any system, save the world, and get the girl.

lol, I was just looking at this thread after asking you about the soldering iron. You know the thread is about two and a half months old though, right?

Also, if you want to open a nintendo wii, you'll also need a triwing screwdriver because nintendo are ****ers like that. Some lady's stuck her driver's license into the optical drive of their wii, and I had to send it out to our console techs to get it out, when I could have done it myself if they didnt use such a stupid ass screw type.

I know it's old, but I figure since I teach people how to take apart computers as a job and probably encounter more old computers than anyone else, I should finally give input.

Unless you're actually employed as a computer technician, any self-respecting computer user should have no business with anything but a custom-built PC. :arms:

I think he is exactly that right now in his life, if I remember correctly.

Back