Confirmed: HL2 will be available via STEAM..

heheh

Apos beat me to it too. He posted it 2 minutes before I did. I just ended up deleting it.

Steam is were you Pay for the game and download it from Valve.
Appaerntley

Originally posted by GOoch
Steam is were you Pay for the game and download it from Valve.
Appaerntley

What about cd verification? Or if you delete your copy of the download? CD KEYS?

WTF? So you download HL2 through steam? Steam a free program? Well at Ebgames.com i preordered HL2 so wtf? I thought its going on shelves...someone explain this.

Originally posted by tokin
WTF? So you download HL2 through steam? Steam a free program? Well at Ebgames.com i preordered HL2 so wtf? I thought its going on shelves...someone explain this.

HL2 will be on the shelves. Steam as i see it is a program, that you pay valve and use to download the game. I guess its for those hardcore geeks who find it hard to leave their rooms to go to a store.

Oh and just incase you know. Pre-ordering games doesnt mean that you'll get it early, or on the day of the release. The companies concentrate on first shipping out the copies to stores, then take care of pre-orders. For other shit like Max Payne people bitched that they got their games like 3 weeks later from the release date. Pre-ordering is only to ensure that you WILL get it, cuz sometimes games get sold out quick and dont come back for a while with more copies. So if you want it faster pre-ordering aint your thing.

THE Box Jesus thats just card board or plastic,, Give me the game ill download it no question. Then guess what ill go to the shop and buy it again. Ill support my favorate Developer:bounce:

Originally posted by bonanzaguy
yus~!

/me wants the silver box w/ HL2 logo

**** the ****ing box ****ers. All i want is that ****ing cd with the ****ing cd key, you ****s.

Not just any box, but the limited edtion box. You got a box fettish or something m8 what about the god DAM Game.?

damn straight. and all the crappy breakable things that come inside it too! :D

Hey, I want HL2 as much as the next guy. If I know for sure I can get HL2 earlier than the stores through Steam then I'll go for it, if it's the same I would just rather get it in store.

Originally posted by GOoch
Depending on bandwith youll get it faster.

Jesus G0och, 118+ posts in half a month. Slow down youll hurt yourself.

I'm guessing HL2 will probably be 2-3 CDs, so the download could take me about 2-3 hours depending if they did some kind of super compressing.

Off topic m8 .. :) But i like to keep the Noobs on the right track.
It was the day of the HL2 vids that got the post count riseing, We were all that exited, What more can i say. There are alot lot worse than me.!

Back on Topic..!

Originally posted by Jager
I'm guessing HL2 will probably be 2-3 CDs, so the download could take me about 2-3 hours depending if they did some kind of super compressing.

showing off your crazy T3? 3 cd's in 2-3 hrs? Thats ****in 2gb's + to download. And im sure the Steam's download rate would be all that great.

this is what steam is and/or is going to be once it is finished.

Be able to purchase games online

Be able to recieve updates automatically without having to download or be like wtf? a new patch is out.

Beta test games

STEAM is going to be the next gamespy but 100x better..

(you can download steam if you look for the link, it roxorz)

Official steam explanation

Steam is a broadband business platform for direct software delivery and content management. At its core, Steam is a distributed file system and shared set of technology components that can be implemented into any software application.

With Steam, developers are given integrated tools for direct-content publishing, flexible billing, ensured-version control, anti-cheating, anti-piracy, and more.

Steam consumers enjoy the benefit of starting their favorite applications within minutes of confirming their purchase. They can access their applications from any PC. They are no longer challenged to find the latest updates for these applications. And they no longer need to wonder if their device drivers are compatible with the latest software.

The Steam SDK also includes an integrated set of communications tools and Valve’s Graphic User Interface (V-GUI) that provide built-in support for a variety of services such as instant messaging, configuration, and server browsing.

Acctualy come to think of it i had to download the last CS BETA through steam when i was Beta Testing it.!

I would have thought a lot more people knew/had Steam. I got it when they released CS 1.6. Its very handy as it updates mods whenever you join a server which is a newer version. I'll probably end up getting it through Steam, and then get one of the Limited Edition boxes when it hits the shelves as well :cool:

Originally posted by Alzxul
I would have thought a lot more people knew/had Steam. I got it when they released CS 1.6.

isnt the latest cs 1.5?

Well CS1.6 is one of the perks of having Steam :cool: they suspended the downloading of it I believe because so many people wanted it, and therefore not everyone has got it/been able to update to 1.6. So no, 1.5 isn't the latest.

Originally posted by THUGENSTEIN
showing off your crazy T3? 3 cd's in 2-3 hrs? Thats ****in 2gb's + to download. And im sure the Steam's download rate would be all that great.

Well actually a good DSL provider within 1.5 miles should give you a T1 (1.544mbits) of throughput for download. A T1 can download over 600 mb per hour. With compressed images you could grab 3 CDs in 3 hours. Most CDs don't cram in a full 700Mb.

The bigger question is how much bandwidth Steam has behind it for delivering content out.

Steam's original concept including accessing software from anywhere. They made it sound like I could sit down at your PC and bring up my copy of halflife, which I doubt. Maybe I could install it again, but it is questionable how all that works. I believe i read that updates and patches to HL2 would be delivered through Steam.

Downloading an entire retail game seems rather odd. Too much hassle to deal with a download then have to burn it to 3 or 4 cd's. That's a massive download even for people like me with cable. I think I'll avoid the headaches and get mine by mail..

Can someone tell me the limit for T1, T2 and T3?

We dont use those words in Sweden, we only use BBB or ADSL :)

Internationally T1s types are referred to as ISDN, a PRI. It is a term used for business connections. Many home ADSL limits in the stats top out at the equivalent of a T1.

T1/DS1 = 1.544 megabits/s or 24 channels of 64k
It is the North American equivalent to an E1 in Europe. E1 being 30 channels of 64k

In the states it is also referred to as a DS-1 (being made of 24 DS-0 channels). Under a PRI config the 24th channel is a control channel, while as a DS-1 all 24 channels can carry data.

T2/DS-2 not seen much, around 6 Mb/s, 4xT1

T3 = ~45mb

Above that you see OC speeds
OC1 is 51Mb
OC3 is 155mb (3xOC-1)
OC12 is 622 Mb (12xOC-1)
etc...

With steam you could start playing the single player mode before the download was complete. If its anything like the current steam anyway. Then you download the later levels as you play or at a later date.

1st Post ;)

Back