Cool new interview at HL2world.

Replace the asterisks with 'www.hl2w0rld.com'. Except it's an 'o' instead of a zero.

Edit: Great interview there.

Doug Lombardi said:
What is Half-Life 3?
Good stuff, I would say "Nice find" but I noticed you were one of the people to submit a question. :p

Interesting information.

That Hammer is going to implement lightning in the 3D view is great news for mappers :)

The "What is Half-Life 3?" line does make me raise an eyebrow :D

Check out the incoming 'big technology' announced in the next few weeks; I reckon image-based rendering, but I'm hoping for some new shadow tech. or displacement mapping...

Unified lighting would be nice, but highly unlikely.

I guess maybe there won't be a Half-Life 3, rather just a few more episodes of Half-Life 2?

interesting stuff.
i wonder how much updating the Source engine can take before Valve will need to build a new engine.

They shouldn't ever need to build a new engine - it's modular. They can replace/upgrade parts as required.

Technically, Epic have never built a new engine - it's all still the Unreal engine, being constantly updated. They just like to slap a new title on it every so often.

I thought Epic have started from scratch at least once though??

No, I don't think so. Massive modifications to the engine each time, but I think it's the same basic thing.

SWAT_Pointman asks:
What's the current status Team Fortress 2? Has it been forgotten?

[Doug Lombardi] TF news is coming soon.

LOL!!!!!!!!!!

Why are we still worried about competition to the point of censoring that website?

It was never about competition, just general disapproval. Personally, I don't care. It's in Munro's hands.

I think Munro disliked that they posted leak shots and discussion, which we don't allow here.

Also I heard something about them organizing an attack on this site, or something like that. Don't really know though.

Hmmm, I did enjoy the classic "TF news coming soon" that we've been enjoying for over half a decade. It's great.

ríomhaire said:
OMG lombardi'd!
So true :p

I just laughed out loud when I read about the TF news coming 'soon'. Don't get me wrong, I'm a big fan of Valve, but that's hilarious :D

Ennui said:
I think Munro disliked that they posted leak shots and discussion, which we don't allow here.

Also I heard something about them organizing an attack on this site, or something like that. Don't really know though.

If they want war, they got war.

*Gets keyboard out*

"What's the current status Team Fortress 2? Has it been forgotten?

[Doug Lombardi] TF news is coming soon."

I can remember when they said TF2 will come shorty after Half-Life 2 is released. Shortly has now been 1 year,

I can remember when they said TF2 news will come shorty after Half-Life 2 is released. Shortly has now been 1 year,

Corrected :)

Either way, I'm very excited for what's upcoming :D EVen though it will probably take a long long time until we see some of these things, I'm very excited for what VALVe is planning!

Iced_Eagle said:
Corrected :)

Ooops, yeah, I meant news.

I'm personally looking forward to the Source version of Half-Life deathmatch.

Ennui said:
I guess maybe there won't be a Half-Life 3, rather just a few more episodes of Half-Life 2?
I think there will be, eventually. The story is too big not to have a hl3.

HL1:DM:source. Why? Dm is boring look how barely anyone plays quake 4. Why are valve wasting effort on it.

Argh AArrrgh

7. The next question was submitted by pcgamer58.
pcgamer58 asks:
How far along is HL1:DM Source currently?

[Doug Lombardi] It's close. Won't be this year, but should be out very
early in 2006.

Why would it take so long to make a simple deathmatch conversion of HL1:S... You'd think that just about everything is done already. Unless of course, they're planning a much bigger. I think it'd be cool if they re-'candy coated' the original models and guns just for DM... It'd be like HL2 deathmath, but with the old weapons...

I think that it'd be neat.

Pi Mu Rho said:
They shouldn't ever need to build a new engine - it's modular. They can replace/upgrade parts as required.

Technically, Epic have never built a new engine - it's all still the Unreal engine, being constantly updated. They just like to slap a new title on it every so often.

i suppose but if an engine requires massive amounts of totally new stuff, isn't it easier just to start from scratch? sorry im not a coder so i really don't have an idea on this..

Dr. Freeman said:
i suppose but if an engine requires massive amounts of totally new stuff, isn't it easier just to start from scratch? sorry im not a coder so i really don't have an idea on this..

But that's the idea; it'll never need massive amounts of stuff done to it from one product iteration to the next, because of the constant updates it receives

Back