Could someone do a simple (I think) modification of HL2:DM for me?

Yarr Pf Doom

Reaction score
Well, as the title says, I'm looking for someone that wants to do a little bit of coding for me. I'd do it myself if it wasn't for the fact I only started with C++ about 2 weeks ago. And I actually want to focus on the designing the maps in this little project of mine.
So basically I want to create a mod where the maps are a course filled with puzzles, tactical combat situations, and stuff like that, focussed on needing a team to solve it.
Now for the details about what I'd like to have:
-only one team
-no weapons when being spawned
-not being able to pick up a weapon you already have
-killing another player: -1 point, dying (not by another player): everyone else +1 point, no other automatic means of scoring

Unless other people can think of something else needed, that should be it.
To whoever that wants to do this for me: thank you very much, and I'll make sure to give you credit for it.

Did you miss the 'o' key when picking your username?

looks like it...
It would be better if you just hire/recrute a programmer...
now people will think like "NathanBayFilms" said...

Well you aren't supposed to be killing eachother, and that's why I said 1 team, because usually people on the same team don't kill eachother.
And I'm not looking for someone to do all the work for me, I'm looking for someone to do the part that I can't do (the programming that is).

do you mean something like the co-op mode on HL2: DM? :|

I feel quite stupid now for not having noticed that.
On the other hand, there were only 5 servers with coop maps, and the one I tried was just shooting zombies, not quite what I had in mind. The names of the other maps seemed to imply more of the same.

sooo...whats c++? :hmph: , in coop you have to work as a team and move forward together its quite hard in places. :p

i will only support this so long as the team is full of chewbaccas that go rrrarrrrarra when they fire their weapons. :dork:

I've got to say... "Could someone do a simple (I think) modification of HL2: DM for me?" that title...
well when I've read what you want I really dislike to see this...
you got to know that "programming" is 1 of the hardest jobs in game design.
not to judge on the other types of jobs in game design (I love them all!! :D )
but for me it feels like this is just some simple shit 1 guy got to do and he'll be kicked away ("KThnxBai")
feels a bit disrespectful.

So you might consider to read my previous post and rethink how you'd like to get an "programmer/coder" in your team... you scared me with this so I think other programmers will too.

nothing to judge it's your mod only some tips ;)
I can see you weren't known what it takes for a programmer in your title: "(I think)". maybe I talked a bit too rough but dont take it too serious only some tips ^^
so what I simply try to say:
this what you want isn't easy or fast done.

I know how hard programming can be and how many code is required sometimes for something that seems an easy job to do. But I really have no idea of the codestructure of the source engine. For all I know, removing the loadout could be as simple as removing a codeblock somewhere, but it could just as easily mean you have to rewrite a whole part, and then track down every reference to the old code to adjust that as well.
I actually kinda hoped most of this would be easy for someone who knows his/her way around in the source engine code.

for removing weapons when you spawn
you just create a block with hammer at the spawn point
I think ctrl+T when selected to attach a trigger then scroll through the list to find 'weapon_strip' or something like that.
Good luck :D

Back