Counter-strike 2 in development

Deacon

Reaction score
We all know that Half-Life 2 will have an excellent physics engine. What you may not know is that Counter-Strike 2 is in development right now using the Source engine (which is the same engine HL2 uses). This means physics will likely be a big part of CS2. What do you guys want to see in the physics department?

This is what i read on counter-strike nation
Read More: http://csnation.counter-strike.net/articles.php/155/

sorry not sure on doing a link am a n00b

I think most people in here was aware of that....I have been for a long time atleast(although of course first new that it would be in the Source engine after it was revealed at the E3-show)

don't think that if you shoot a guy in the arm or leg it will matter. might be the same. i was watching the e3 demo and when the zombie got shot in the leg he just kept moving forward unstuned.

I hope they fix the terrible clipping issues that exist in CS. Also I love the fact that shooting someone will actually leave a bullet wound in them.

kewl did'nt realise they were gonna have that so if u shoot somoene they will have a woond on em

Well they fixed the clipping. In one e-mail Gabe said something along the lines of, "Clipping is bad" (I forgot the actualy word he used)

Theres no official release for CS2, but im 100%positive it will be made, why wouldnt it be?

its already being made SpuD......... why do people still say things like "im sure it will be", "it will cost"
etc. etc. when blatantly 100000000000000 posts ahve been confirming its being made and almost sure it will be a free mod.

Kam

Where has there been posts confirming its out?

Well i can't wait for cs2, hope it doesnt get as boring as cs did

i never liked cs. hopefully this one will be good. im more into raven shield

Although I started out playing CS, I am completely turned off by the community around it now. Especially when one compares it to the lovely folks that hang out in this forum. Honestly, a remarkably higher degree of intelligence and maturity (with the exeptions that prove the rule).

Inevitably, whatever CS2 becomes will alienate much of the existing CS fanbase, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some will probably migrate to the new game, but I'm sure many will resolutely stick to the old. CS is simple and straightforward, and a lot of HL2's new features would make CS2 too complex for the current crowd, I feel.

aww, dj loves us :p

anywho, hopefully alot of the 133t layers out there will be put of if the CS2 turns out to be complex, *Stone crosses his fingers, so I can actually stop playing against bots etc, and actualy try and enjoy the game for what it's meant to be...

cs aint fun anyomre, all i play now is good old d2. But it would be nice to see the new features and what not in cs.

Originally posted by djkanuk
Although I started out playing CS, I am completely turned off by the community around it now. Especially when one compares it to the lovely folks that hang out in this forum. Honestly, a remarkably higher degree of intelligence and maturity (with the exeptions that prove the rule).

Inevitably, whatever CS2 becomes will alienate much of the existing CS fanbase, which isn't necessarily a bad thing. Some will probably migrate to the new game, but I'm sure many will resolutely stick to the old. CS is simple and straightforward, and a lot of HL2's new features would make CS2 too complex for the current crowd, I feel.

Not necessarily. CS2 will be basically the same game except with a better engine, better graphics, physics, etc. They might put in more weapons, but that is precicely what people like about CS.

If CS2 comes out, I'm sure the whole "community" will switch over in a few months after it's release.

Ya knowing me i'll play it for a month or two, stop playing it then start again a few months later.

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
Not necessarily. CS2 will be basically the same game except with a better engine, better graphics, physics, etc. They might put in more weapons, but that is precicely what people like about CS.
These are not small changes, and a game like CS is finley balanced, and even very minor changes set off huge debates in the community. You can't even compare that to adding realistic physics. Camping behind crates-- blow up the crates.

What frustrates me most about the CS community is the narrowmindedness. Most of the "l33t" players out there are l33t because they play the same damn map over and over, and play it the same damn way every time. Introducing the physics means that the environment isn't an absolute anymore, it's variable. And that probably scares a lot of players more than they'd admit.

I just hope that they stop bullets going through 3 foot of stone wall and kill people. Very annoying, realistic. . . .

These are not small changes, and a game like CS is finley balanced, and even very minor changes set off huge debates in the community. You can't even compare that to adding realistic physics. Camping behind crates-- blow up the crates.

What frustrates me most about the CS community is the narrowmindedness. Most of the "l33t" players out there are l33t because they play the same damn map over and over, and play it the same damn way every time. Introducing the physics means that the environment isn't an absolute anymore, it's variable. And that probably scares a lot of players more than they'd admit.

It is possible to implement crates that blow up in CS1, but they didn't do it for the same resons. Just because it will use the source engine doesn't mean it will inherit all the properties of HL2; as we already know it can be very flexible.

Yes, there might be debates in the community, but soon they'll agree to move to CS2. There is no more reason for them to keep playing a 5-year old game.

Originally posted by 82ross
I just hope that they stop bullets going through 3 foot of stone wall and kill people. Very annoying, realistic. . . .

Ya and that would stop people from using wall hacks

I think that the engine should be used to do my physics homework for me while I play CS
HAHAHAHA GENIUS GENIUS FUNNY YOU ARE FUNNY

BWAHAHAA that's good shit :D

Anyway all I'm interested in seeing is alot more balance in the weapons. It's like WOW that guy has an AK!!! And wow, the old AWP + Deagle combo, that's a surprise... and OMG not an M4. Yeah you get the point ;)

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
It is possible to implement crates that blow up in CS1, but they didn't do it for the same resons. Just because it will use the source engine doesn't mean it will inherit all the properties of HL2; as we already know it can be very flexible.
True enough. And maybe CS players won't be as bothered by such inconsistencies as a HL singleplayer would be. There's no way we would stand for a game with advanced physics, but where that crate wouldn't blow up. Well, maybe all the crates will be made out of titanium.

True enough. And maybe CS players won't be as bothered by such inconsistencies as a HL singleplayer would be. There's no way we would stand for a game with advanced physics, but where that crate wouldn't blow up. Well, maybe all the crates will be made out of titanium.

I just though about this, and realized that there aren't much weapons in CS capable of blowing up a crate. The only one is the HE grenade. They could just replace that with something else and we are all set.

Or replace wooden crates (which are not to be blown up) with metal ones. Not a big deal.

there should be a rocket launcher just like tfc to blow up crates and ppl that get in its path :)

Makes sense. Have you thought about any other features of the main current maps that might get tricky in Source? Water in Aztec? Particle 'dust' in Dust?

What about the vent in Assault? That could get ripped apart by arms fire, or a frag at least.

Interesting possibilities.

Unfortunatelly, I'm one of those sorry people who only play de_dust :(

One interesting thing would be a cart full of watermelons (the ones we saw in the tech demo) placed in one of the "hot spots." Then watch the pieces roll all over the place as gunfire erupts :)

The possibilities are endless.

Makes sense. Have you thought about any other features of the main current maps that might get tricky in Source? Water in Aztec? Particle 'dust' in Dust?

What about the vent in Assault? That could get ripped apart by arms fire, or a frag at least.

Interesting possibilities.

Why would water in a source version of aztec be tricky? If anything recreating maps will be easier.

Originally posted by 82ross

I agree with you for the most part. The reason that happens on aztec is the fact that those used to be crates in an earlier version. They never added the 3rd layer needed to keep from shooting through it.

adding physics to cs might not always fit out for some of the old maps. for example, if you shoot off the vent in cs_assault, the ct's are screwed because now the t's can just guard two spots (back door and front area) vs the three before.

does anyone know if there will be advanced cheat protection? i'm sick of aimbotters and wallhak3rs

most used phrases by me in cs (when i used to plaY):
bah
ahhh nuts
HAHAHA KILLED THEM ALL
grrr

Originally posted by deepers
adding physics to cs might not always fit out for some of the old maps. for example, if you shoot off the vent in cs_assault, the ct's are screwed because now the t's can just guard two spots (back door and front area) vs the three before.

does anyone know if there will be advanced cheat protection? i'm sick of aimbotters and wallhak3rs
the devs could add a large stack of crates directly under the roof entrance, so if the vent is destroyed the ct's can still jump down safely.

And what will happen to the wooden bridge in Aztec?

Originally posted by stigmata
the devs could add a large stack of crates directly under the roof entrance, so if the vent is destroyed the ct's can still jump down safely.

And what will happen to the wooden bridge in Aztec?

hopefully it will be destroyable and force people to use a different route.(i can't remember whats across the bridge, but i do know what your talking about, i also dont know if there is another way to whatevers on the other side, heh)

but don't you think it would be better to have new maps? rather than just recreating old ones? sure the old ones would be cool and might be redone, but the main maps should be new i think, then release old ones later.

Perhaps CS2 is the big secret multiplayer thing Gabe has been talking about
Think about it, wouldn't HL2 sales be boosted if they included the world's most popular FPS at release?

Originally posted by SpuD
Where has there been posts confirming its out?

ive seen atleast 2 interviews with valve employees saying CS2 is being worked on, Gooseman confirmed it himself somwhere.

i cant beleieve some of the stupid shit speculation that people come up with on here like:
CS2 will cost £10000 and be a pay-to-play and like only available on steam blah blah blah.
Valve has always been good to the HL community where others ie: EA the money grabbing bastards haven't. Why would they change now??

grrrr
Kam

Originally posted by Sushi
Perhaps CS2 is the big secret multiplayer thing Gabe has been talking about
Think about it, wouldn't HL2 sales be boosted if they included the world's most popular FPS at release?
I thought of that too, but it just seems to unlikely somehow. I mean we haven't heard anything and then suddenly CS2 is in HL2? The CS community is too big- there would have been news by now. And it then there's the whole marketing thing. CS is basically bigger than HL, so it doesn't need to be thrown in with HL2 to get people interested.

TF2 has already been announced as being in development, so we know that's coming at some point. The only questions are how and when.

Nice thought, though, that they might surprise us. Can't think of what else it might be...

Back