Counter-Strike: Global Offensive Beta Survey Available

Sliver

Companion Cube
Reaction score
[br]A new post over at the Counter-Strike blog reveals that a new survey is available to enter into the beta for Counter-Strike: GO. It is a quesitonnaire ran through Steam, and the participants will be picked next week according to their answers.[br]Keys will continue to be distributed to active CS: GO players to give to their friends. The link to the survey can be found here (will open Steam), and the original blog post here. Below is some gameplay video, done by Nicky0123 of the forums, showcasing some of the new Inferno map.[br]
<iframe src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/drcNrjEYDNI?rel=0" frame allowfullscreen></iframe>​

GUI seems a bit intrusive and I hope they have the option of turning off bloom/hdr and such quickly. Psyched to try this out though.

I think the UI seems fine except maybe the chat is a bit big. The viewmodels are masive though.

I'd like to give it a GO (lololol), but from what I see it looks like a modded CS:S.

CS:S I think was legitimate successor to CS 1.6 - the core gameplay, most weapons and map layouts were the same, with subtle changes, but the game got a whole new engine, with up-to-date graphics and physics. On top of that it was included originally with HL2, if anyone didn't feel that the game warrants a full price.

CS:GO on the other hand seems like another rehash, but this time it's only the subtle changes with no overhaul in any of the departments. Do we know anything about the price?

Only Valve could get away with this. This is going to make an almost imperceptible dent into the persistent base of 1.6 and Source.

I think it goes beyond the fact that people will play anything Valve puts out (CZ still has a sizable community, Ricochet dedicated servers regularly pop up)

CS:GO will let Valve play with it's most precious multiplier IP without causing furor amongst the CS/CSS fanbases. To those of us who played CS competitively for years, the changes made are certainly significant enough to call this an entirely new product--at least as significant as SC: Brood War to SC2.

It's a test bed, they aren't claiming--nor do they have to worry about it becoming a resounding success. They have enough money to host official tournaments and a big enough name to pique the attention of professional level PC FPS players who are currently without a well balanced, commonly played and watched game. It has no release date because they're legitimately waiting for the best CS players in the world to be happy.

Casual mode will have some micro-trans elements most likely, and will essentially be an entirely different game than the ladder/competitive play.

Valve did a test run of these kind of features with the competitive TF2 mode with the limited invites a few months back. Again Valve is probing untapped revenue streams and simultaneously providing something awesome to a large part of their fanbase.

Looks awful... seriously how the hell did they get away with the quality of the animations... valve standards are usually so damn high with this kind of stuff.

They're still being worked on. One thing to keep in mind is graphically speaking, the game is meant to scale back even further than CSS--but have the option to look even better. They mean it when they say community developed game.

They mean it when they say community developed game.

And what is that supposed to mean anyway? If we're talking about the competitive community, then what competitive player has a PC that'll have problems running a 2004 game (of course, you won't run CS:S fine on a PC that was capable of running it in 2004, because of all the updates, but you get the point) and would benefit from the fact that CS:GO could scale back further?

Meaning they'll spread the beta far, like with DotA 2, and take the community much more into consideration. I guess community developed is a bit of a hyperbolic term--but the whole malleable release date with a slowly spreading beta thing is pretty cool. I think.

Back