counterstrike 1 for free?

If I remember correctly, the first Counter Strike was a free mod, so yes you get to download it from Steam. Condition Zero on the other hand, thats an entirely different game and you have to pay seperate for it.

Dumb Dude said:
If I remember correctly, the first Counter Strike was a free mod, so yes you get to download it from Steam. Condition Zero on the other hand, thats an entirely different game and you have to pay seperate for it.
Dumb Dude is correct. You can either BUY Counter-Strike, or buy Half-Life, and then download CS. You will also be able to download all of the awesome mods out there FOR Half-Life. IE: Natural-Selection, They Hunger, etc.

Half-Life is a better buy in the amount of games you can get..

Actually, it doesn't seem that you can download old CS or DOD for free anymore.

You can't with the new retail packages, but if you have a key from an old one you still can.

CyberPitz said:
Dumb Dude is correct. You can either BUY Counter-Strike, or buy Half-Life, and then download CS. You will also be able to download all of the awesome mods out there FOR Half-Life. IE: Natural-Selection, They Hunger, etc.

Half-Life is a better buy in the amount of games you can get..

Uh if its not the Sierra version of HL1 but the EA package HL1 Anthology, no he won't get CS free. BTW you cannot download CS 1.6 for free.

The one he linked to is the sierra version. Just make sure when you buy it that it is the sierra version or you will not be able to download counterstrike.

Your HL key gets you everything half-life related on Steam.

The first betas are out there, but they only run on certain HL patchs (I forget which) cant use the base game but you cant use a too newer patch.. or even a fairly old one now o_O CS went tits up for me around the time they changed all the HL netcode.

so should i just buy counterstrike 1 anthology? (the half life i linked to comes with TFC) :-\ I want to know for sure that if i buy half life 1 i can download CS 1.

The packages avaliable now if you want CS, you'd have to get the CS Anthology.

is it worth it? i mean, i play CS source all the time, but i have another computer that wont hold cs source, so i want to buy the first one for it.

Is it a fun game? is it worth the 19 dollars?

Let me just say that you will get annoyed by some gameplay details if you're used to source. And why would you run 1.6 on a slow pc if you have a fast one?

clone dad said:
is it worth it? i mean, i play CS source all the time, but i have another computer that wont hold cs source, so i want to buy the first one for it.

Is it a fun game? is it worth the 19 dollars?

Hell yes, if you play on LAN. I'd go so far to say that CS 1.6 should only be played on LAN, otherwise the hit registration is pretty much a crapshoot. Online 1.6 is frustrating compared to Source. If you think that 1.6 will register like source online, you are damned wrong.

On LAN though, no game even comes close to 1.6.

Why don't you just buy the Half-Life package from Steam for 20 dollars? Don't have to worry about ordering or going out and buying, it's all electronic and safe.

0mar said:
Hell yes, if you play on LAN. I'd go so far to say that CS 1.6 should only be played on LAN, otherwise the hit registration is pretty much a crapshoot. Online 1.6 is frustrating compared to Source. If you think that 1.6 will register like source online, you are damned wrong.

ok....will i have to buy a copy for each computer on my LAN?

DiSTuRbEd said:
Uh if its not the Sierra version of HL1 but the EA package HL1 Anthology, no he won't get CS free. BTW you cannot download CS 1.6 for free.
I havn't even SEEN the EA package yet...hence why I havn't said anything about it..

I'm going off of how I do it to this day. \=

0mar said:

Funny, the usual banter about Source is how 'bad' the hitbox / detections are and how easy it is to pull of headshots.

Anyway, listen to the others and get the Sierra version, much better value there.

Back