• Still Alive

Votes: 20 74.1%
  • Want You Gone

Votes: 7 25.9%

• Total voters

EWLTM

Medic
Reaction score
So how you liked ,,When you gone''? Is it better than ,,Still Alive''? Personally i like ,, When you gone'' more, as it's much more energetic.

Still Alive will always hold a special place in my heart. I immediately taught myself how to play it on piano as soon as completing Portal. I impress randoms and parties I go to, with a keyboard nearby, to this day by playing it.

I think they really set the bar high with Still Alive. I was listening to the new one and it just didn't stick to me like Still Alive. It's not bad but... it's just not as catchy.

I think they really set the bar high with Still Alive. I was listening to the new one and it just didn't stick to me like Still Alive. It's not bad but... it's just not as catchy.

Exactly. Still Alive also sounded more... well, robotic? It seemed believable that GlaDOS actually designed and attempted to "sing" the song. Her attempted singing in the new one really threw me off. It just sounded like a subpar voice that was completely drowned in autotune (no offense to whoever the voice actor is). TBH, I left the credits going only to see if there was some sort of extra ending at the end (I'm glad I did.. "I'm in space!").

Still Alive, I prefer the Lyrics and had a tinge of Naive written all over it

Exactly. Still Alive also sounded more... well, robotic? It seemed believable that GlaDOS actually designed and attempted to "sing" the song. Her attempted singing in the new one really threw me off. It just sounded like a subpar voice that was completely drowned in autotune (no offense to whoever the voice actor is). TBH, I left the credits going only to see if there was some sort of extra ending at the end (I'm glad I did.. "I'm in space!").

The fact that it's autotuned is an element to the song in my opinion. GlaDOS is AI.

Fixed song name in poll. Was going to fix OP but, what is this I don't even.

I think I prefer "Want you gone" to be honest, still alive never really did anything for me really.

I didn't really like either. I guess "still alive" because it was surprising and funny first time I saw it. "Want You Gone" had a cooler beat to it, tho.

Still Alive:
1. Was unexpected as a way to end a game
2. Was unexpected because it came from an enemy we'd just killed
3. Was very simple musically to start with, with complexity ramping over the course of the song
4. Had ascii-art
5. Had amusing form names and addendums

I don't think #2 should be overlooked. In the original Little Shop of Horrors play, the plant eats everyone and all of the characters die. Then the curtains go down, and everyone comes out on stage to do their bows. In the Little Shop of Horrors movie (the 2nd one), they initially filmed this ending and used it for test audiences, who universally hated it. The conclusion the director/producers reached is that it was too much of a downer ending, and even though it was the same as the play, in the play the *actors* came out at the end and bowed in front of the audience, so even though it's breaking the 4th wall, the audience knew "oh, actually they didn't all die". But in the movie, they just die, and that's the end.

It's funny, "Want You Gone" was leaked on Youtube awhile back, and everyone was calling "FAKE, FAKE! The new song is supposed to be called 'Artificial Heart'." I remember thinking, "I hope the real song is at least as good as the fake song." Then it turns out it WAS the real song, just with a slightly different arrangement. (I actually kind of liked the old leaked arrangement a little better)

As it stands, Still Alive is still the better out of the two. It's a bit catchier, I liked how GLaDOS was more robotic in the way she "spoke" the song rather than sang it, (actually the leaked "Want You Gone" was more like that) and it just felt a lot more fitting and less tacked on at the end.

However, that all being said, "si lontana da scienza" > both of those songs.

I prefer "Want You Gone" as a stand-alone song; it's got a better beat and it's easier to sing along with in the car. "Still Alive" was only really memorable because it was such a shock at the end of the game - honestly, who was expecting GLaDOS to start singing at all, let alone this cute, tongue-in-cheek little retrospective of everything that had happened?

Not that I don't love it anyway, though - Valve just needs to have GLaDOS release a CD or something.

And I agree with Darkside, "si lontana da scienza" beats them both. I cried ;_;

I found "Under Potatoes" in the CGF but it doesn't compare to the full "Si Lontana da Scienza" I hope they release the full version of that, it sends a shiver down my spine.

Still Alive:
1. Was unexpected as a way to end a game
2. Was unexpected because it came from an enemy we'd just killed

These two points stick with me. The novelty was completely and utter gone, and I was actually expecting better than just another take of the "lol glados song" formula. Pretty much left my PC after a minute, came back to watch the epilogue.

I like the tune of Want You Gone better, but there is no way they could have topped Still Alive's lyrics.

Back