Cry Havoc / Reality Engine looks very tasty!

torso boy said:
:dozey: yay, another developer that thinks bump maps are meant to replace polygonal detail instead of add detail.

and isn't it funny, they can't even create their own content!
http://www.humus.ca/3D/index.php?start=8
the brick texture is right off of that self shadow bump mapping/offset mapping demo and I bet the code is too.
and the stony ground texture is off of a different one of his demos(that didn't have offset mapping)

did you ever think that they asked humus to use his textures? (assuming they're even humus'), or maybe they both got the texture from the same texture repository.

either way thats a pretty petty thing to accuse them of.

cereal said:
Wow, some of you are expecting perfect graphics and physics...tough crowd.

They're calling it the reality engine, and it does not look or behave realistically.

I was only really impressed with the lighting efx on fabric and the hue changing depending on lighting. Nothing else there seemed that "wow" to me.

The Mistress said:
I was only really impressed with the lighting efx on fabric and the hue changing depending on lighting. Nothing else there seemed that "wow" to me.

girls are tough to "wow" regardless, right? :p
anyway.. the pop can image looks decent.
i did not check out the videos so i can only go by what u pple have said :)

They're calling it the reality engine, and it does not look or behave realistically.

So, if they called it the Source Engine we would all get the source code? :hmph:

I'm sure this engine can do exactly the same things as the U3 engine. I guess they just don't have as good artists since that walkthrough looked sooooo boring and uninspired. The physics were pretty bouncy as if they hadn't even modified them. The bit about your "eyes" changing depending on the amount of light you're in was the only thing that really made me think "cool".

Gorgon said:
Cheers. :D

WOW 2005 release.

Next year will be a year to remember. Alot of games:

1-Stalker
2-F.E.A.R.
3-CryHavoc
4-Quake4
5-Blablabla

You forgot HL2 :p

Shuzer said:
I dunno, it doesn't look too photorealistic, but this is reaching for it, and falling short only by a little bit:

http://www.artificialstudios.com/screenshot.php?pic=b1.jpg

Atleast, the can.. :| lol
Anyone notice the ATi nod on the can? "Consumer Information Call 1-800-256-X800"

By the time this engine comes out, X800 will be low end..

I do think its funny how companies throw around the term 'Photorealistic' so easily. Games have been boasting "Near Photorealistic Graphics" for quite some time now.. and compared to the previous generation, one might actually believe them. However, If you step back and think about it,. the games of 2008 will be MUCH more photorealistic then this stuff. And then those games will look weak compared to the games in 2010,.

Tim Sweeney, Unreal developer, thinks we'll have real photorealism in 2010. We'll see about that.. I get the feeling there will *allways* be room for improvement.

Unreal 3.0 looks better, everything there looked pre-rendered.

Unreal 3.0 at least has some photo-istic qualities to it.

mortiz said:
Unreal 3.0 looks better, everything there looked pre-rendered.

Unreal 3.0 at least has some photo-istic qualities to it.

You must have missed my post.

The video for the CryHavoc engine was on a 9700 Pro. The video for the Unreal 3 engine was done on a 6800 Ultra. I think if they used a 6800 Ultra for their demo, it would look as good as the Unreal 3 engine.

blahblahblah said:
You must have missed my post.

The video for the CryHavoc engine was on a 9700 Pro. The video for the Unreal 3 engine was done on a 6800 Ultra. I think if they used a 6800 Ultra for their demo, it would look as good as the Unreal 3 engine.

yea I did :) couldn't be bothered reading the whole thread.

Gorgon said:
Cheers. :D

WOW 2005 release.

Next year will be a year to remember. Alot of games:

1-Stalker
2-F.E.A.R.
3-CryHavoc
4-Quake4
5-Blablabla

hehe Let me fix that.

1-F.E.A.R
1-Quake4
1-Pariah
2-Stalker
2-CryHavoc
3-Blablabla

;)

Raziel-Jcd said:
hehe Let me fix that.

1-F.E.A.R
1-Quake4
1-Pariah
2-Stalker
2-CryHavoc
3-Blablabla

;)

LOL,
:cheers:

Pariah ?

:) Oh hey, someone that works there comes to halflife2.net.

f|uke said:
Anyone notice the ATi nod on the can? "Consumer Information Call 1-800-256-X800"

By the time this engine comes out, X800 will be low end..

I do think its funny how companies throw around the term 'Photorealistic' so easily. Games have been boasting "Near Photorealistic Graphics" for quite some time now.. and compared to the previous generation, one might actually believe them. However, If you step back and think about it,. the games of 2008 will be MUCH more photorealistic then this stuff. And then those games will look weak compared to the games in 2010,.

Tim Sweeney, Unreal developer, thinks we'll have real photorealism in 2010. We'll see about that.. I get the feeling there will *allways* be room for improvement.

You sure the x800 will be low end with this engine? The mansion techdemo was ran on a 9700 with an average of 40 FPS. I consider low end a Geforce mx420 running Doom III @ lowest resolution, lowest quality, and still get average FPS of like 20 fps.

azz0r said:
Apart from its insanely gorgeous bump mapping it looks average.
i agree, we still have a ways to go before photo realism
still, props to those peeps workin so hard on that stuff
its exciting to think of how quickly the industry is growing though
:cheers:

Looks good, but I have a feeling we will be seeing a lot of tech demos for new engines that are targeting 2006 games. So far all they have really been doing is showing off DirectX 9 effects that are easy to add and will be seen in all games around that time.

The physics are the same as I have seen in several games already, so there is nothing new there. It isn't really a big deal to include Havok physics because it seems anybody can do that. The real innovation comes from the ways that programmers and artists combine and use the effects to create unique gameplay.

there is a new techdemo video on their website http://www.artificialstudios.com/techdemos.php

This scene employs complex global illumination effects, such as soft-shadowing, interreflections, and subsurface scattering. Previously only possible using static lightmapping methods, these effects are modelled here in realtime using a technique known as precomputed radiance transfer. Reality's lighting model scales to previous and next-generation hardware, and is also scalable to moving and deformable objects, providing the ultimate solution for next generation games.

(it's the backyard video)

Ill i have to say about that last tech demo is WOW. I seriously cant wait for the game that uses that. Do you guys see the detail in the world? ugh.

the screenshot don looks so amazing
it looks similiar to the cornicles of riddick:escape of butcher bay engine

a few quotes from the engine lead at artificial studios, this has replies about using the same textures that humus used, and comments about the mansion demo (which is now legacy and won't even run anymore), also some info about how the engine compares to UE3.

TimJohnson said:
Hey, I'm the Engine Lead at Artificial Studios.

I must admit we're guilty of laziness in that lobby scene. The lobby was something we threw in at the last minute to demonstrate some nice bump-mapping, parallax, and HDR. I believe the textures were from an old ATI demo, but Humus had done a good job of showing them off in his demo, and our artists hadn't quite grasped the concept of good parallax maps, so being out of time we just threw them in. However those were freeware, and absolutely everything else in all our demos were made in-house.

As to our demos. The Mansion demo was mostly finished in 2003, when the best card we could get was a 9700. We squeezed out every possible feature we could on this card, but of course it's impossible for a 2003 demo to rival a 2004 UE3 demo when they are running a native ps3.0 DX9-min pipeline! Furthermore we've got a very small art team compared to Epic, so it's hard to compete on raw presentation.

Our feature set matches UE3 quite closely these days. In addition we have some things they do not. For example we have adopted PRT as our core pipeline, with heavy tool support. Absolutely everything in the outside world now uses this for the base pass, with our per-pixel effects on top. The Backyard demo is the first example of this. Seeing it in motion is quite something. All interreflections, subsurface scattering, soft shadows transition as the day moves to night, the sun goes down and the moon comes up.

Epic on the other hand have stuck to lightmaps multiply blended with per-pixel lighting for their core architecture. I believe this is a case of legacy technology rather than the demands in the 2006 timeline. We can scale our PRT scenes better than we could our per-pixel scenes! The Backyard demo actually runs decently on a Geforce3. I'm working on normal-mapped LDPRT for our character demo. Keep an eye out for that Wink

We also have some really cool content creation advancements, such as our networked level editor. Anyone can jump on the server and modify the level then play a networked game at the click of a button.

SomeRandomPoster said:
Do we know what resolution on a R9700 that video was made on? Any AA? AF? Tunings on a R9700 just for the purpose of the video? CPU?

TimJohnson said:
The scene ran ~35-40fps with FP16 HDR at 800x600 on 9700 Pro, with a 2Ghz Athlon. Video sys specs were slightly different, capture software takes a huge hit. We had an insane amount of per-pixel lights lying around, nothing was static, and we applied rigid body physics to everything we could. Was quite a stress test ;)

TimJohnson said:
We did the Mansion scene so long ago that it's become legacy and won't run any more. So on that count I'm afraid not. However, we will be making our Runtime demo available in under a month. This will include binaries, tools, and three scenes. The Garden, Warehouse (lots of physics), and an island gameplay demo not yet seen.

I'll note these are still isolated licensing demos, they are not representative of our work in progress game or intended for the general public. For this reason we may only provide them upon request. However you're welcome to take a look. Info will be posted on our site when we launch.

quotes from this thread http://www.beyond3d.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=16344

i can't wait to get the binary demos!

Back