Crysis 2 leaked a month and a half early

why all the hate?
I only played the leak for a few min cuz I didn't wanna spoil it for myself when the game comes out granted its consolized now but still fun.

All the hate because its like every other shooter thats come out in the past several years now, instead of something good.

Or different, or even remotely interesting or off the wall. It's unacceptable. Why would anyone pay for this shitty entertainment?

why all the hate?
I only played the leak for a few min cuz I didn't wanna spoil it for myself when the game comes out granted its consolized now but still fun.

I hated the concept at first. Dumbed down for consoles, doesn't look as good etc etc. Now I've changed my mind due to it being more fun and tighter in design. The first one may have had massive islands, but how much of that could you actually visit in one mission? Nice to look at off a cliff but I can't actually get there. I've also seen some amazing visuals which obviously the console versions won't be capable of but on PC the game can look amazing. The only thing I don't like so far is how the story plays out but the beta is so full of story holes and audio problems that it's no wonder it not very cohesive at the moment.

The areas are so damn tiny; you can't even take advantage of the suit abilities half the time. Especially when the aliens first come into play, they just launch back and forth across the screen in the small provided area; so I can't focus well enough to shoot them. Instead I just hold still and mash 'f' until I latch onto one of them and automatically choke it to death.

Also wtf is with the enemy AI? Half the enemies seem to run up to me, and then just stand there and look at me. Like they actually want to get punched 14-15 times using the exact same animation over and over.

Oh, and boo on the mediocre at best graphics. 3/4 the time motion blur is way over the top, and the DoF doesn't know where to focus.

I did, however, like the beginning. PLACEHOLDER PLACEHOLDER PLACEHOLDER PLACEHOLDER PLACEHOLER etc.

Also wtf is with the enemy AI? Half the enemies seem to run up to me, and then just stand there and look at me. Like they actually want to get punched 14-15 times using the exact same animation over and over.

It's beta, the AI quite clearly still isn't finished yet.

Oh, and boo on the mediocre at best graphics. 3/4 the time motion blur is way over the top, and the DoF doesn't know where to focus.

Again...Beta but just to be clear, wherever you have experienced this are you sure it was running at max graphics settings? Maxed out I think it looks pretty damn good.

I think the Graphics look great....I love the lighting in the first few minutes.

Remember, no linking to warez or admission to or advocating piracy! Be careful.

why all the hate?

I hated the concept at first. Dumbed down for consoles, doesn't look as good etc etc. Now I've changed my mind due to it being more fun and tighter in design. The first one may have had massive islands, but how much of that could you actually visit in one mission? Nice to look at off a cliff but I can't actually get there. I've also seen some amazing visuals which obviously the console versions won't be capable of but on PC the game can look amazing. The only thing I don't like so far is how the story plays out but the beta is so full of story holes and audio problems that it's no wonder it not very cohesive at the moment.

The areas are so damn tiny; you can't even take advantage of the suit abilities half the time. Especially when the aliens first come into play, they just launch back and forth across the screen in the small provided area; so I can't focus well enough to shoot them. Instead I just hold still and mash 'f' until I latch onto one of them and automatically choke it to death.

I did, however, like the beginning. PLACEHOLDER PLACEHOLDER PLACEHOLDER PLACEHOLDER PLACEHOLER etc.
Whoops! You guys sure are silly.

It's beta, the AI quite clearly still isn't finished yet.

Again...Beta but just to be clear, wherever you have experienced this are you sure it was running at max graphics settings? Maxed out I think it looks pretty damn good.

Isn't the build from January? At that point the game is probably 4-6 weeks from being sent out for printing. I'm fairly confident this leak is 99% complete.

The grandeur of it all is a part of why its so bad.

Isn't the build from January? At that point the game is probably 4-6 weeks from being sent out for printing. I'm fairly confident this leak is 99% complete.

Not really, some of the files have the January date on them I believe, but that doesn't mean some of the files are older. If I'm right only the .exe had a January date and it's possible to update the .exe without updating other files like AI files or scripting behaviours. That build could be way older than January.

Seems I received an infraction for just talking about the game, yet there are guys associated with the site posting videos of the leak. Oh well.

It's okay; as long as you don't ADMIT you do x you can talk about it all you want! That's how this works, I think.

Seems I received an infraction for just talking about the game, yet there are guys associated with the site posting videos of the leak. Oh well.

"talking about the game" != "telling everyone that you downloaded and played the leak"

It's okay; as long as you don't ADMIT you do x you can talk about it all you want! That's how this works, I think.

Don't be facetious - we are posting on a website that focuses on and is supported by a games developer/distributor, it's pretty logical why we can't allow open discussion of pirated games, and it's the same reason why we ban people for pirating Valve games. Whether or not people pirate games is entirely outside anyone's control, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to disallow discussion of pirated games.

Don't be facetious - we are posting on a website that focuses on and is supported by a games developer/distributor, it's pretty logical why we can't allow open discussion of pirated games, and it's the same reason why we ban people for pirating Valve games. Whether or not people pirate games is entirely outside anyone's control, but I think it's perfectly reasonable to disallow discussion of pirated games.

Well, the reasonableness of it depends on what you define as "discussion of pirated games." For instance, I wouldn't consider talking about gameplay elements discovered by people who played the leak to be discussion on the piracy involved in learning about the gameplay. I would consider talking about the dates on specific files in the leak as talking about it though.

But thats just me.

I think it pretty much centers around careful language. There are videos and stuff of the leak online, so you could learn plenty from that and discuss that... but any reference to YOU having played it, downloaded it, or installed it on your hard drive is verboten!

If this is too difficult for you guys to semantically navigate, just don't discuss the leak. It's not a difficult rule to follow.

"talking about the game" != "telling everyone that you downloaded and played the leak"

At no point did I actually say I have played it, only described things that are easily viewable from any number of the YouTube videos of every level in the game. Like I said, I had only spoken about what I've seen and information from a number of sources available in many places on the net. It still seems to me that the person posting actual footage from the beta has not received any infraction at all. If you can find any point where I mentioned having played this myself then please do, otherwise it seems a bit unfair giving me an infraction for talking about something which was started by a moderator.

any reference to YOU having played it, downloaded it, or installed it on your hard drive is verboten!

Please, show me where I did this.

Avoiding any kind of discussion about a leaked/pirated game should be the safest way to obey the (fair) rules of this forum. I'm talking about videos, too.

Why don't we close this thread?

When you say things like "I had a lot of fun", you implicate yourself.

Wow, don't become criminals, you'd be telling on yourself all the time. Oh, wait. . er, never mind.

omg I've missed so much news in the past week. this is insane, I can't believe the entire PC game is now on the interwebs. I feel sorry for all that coding all for nothing, I'd be pissed if that was my game out there

The Lost World Returns mod is being worked on for Crysis 2 now I believe. I want it so bad :(

omg I've missed so much news in the past week. this is insane, I can't believe the entire PC game is now on the interwebs. I feel sorry for all that coding all for nothing, I'd be pissed if that was my game out there

I strongly doubt there is any real loss.. if anything they're getting free beta testing and HUGE exposure. I didn't even know the release date of Crysis 2 before all this happened.

Please, show me where I did this.

Not really, some of the files have the January date on them I believe, but that doesn't mean some of the files are older.

I hated the concept at first. Dumbed down for consoles, doesn't look as good etc etc. Now I've changed my mind due to it being more fun and tighter in design. [...] I've also seen some amazing visuals which obviously the console versions won't be capable of but on PC the game can look amazing. The only thing I don't like so far is how the story plays out but the beta is so full of story holes and audio problems that it's no wonder it not very cohesive at the moment.

Although I'm sure you were just talking about all the videos you've been watching, right?

Although I'm sure you were just talking about all the videos you've been watching, right?

They actually could be taken that way. No where does he actually state he played it.

Either way, it's generally working toward the same thing - the ambiguity of Stemot's wording is part of the problem. When the HL2 beta was leaked, discussion of the content, leaked files etc. were all banned. By all means, discuss the leak as a news item, but Stemot's posts - regardless of what he has or hasn't done - is tantamount to the same thing. It's not about sematics.

They actually could be taken that way. No where does he actually state he played it.

He does say now he's changed his mind about it "due to it being fun". That's pretty damn close even if there's still a touch of ambiguity.

Either way. It doesn't matter. Technically ALL discussion of or reference to pirating content is illegal and we're supposed to permaban for it. Like Samon said during the leak of HL2 we didn't even allow discussion of the beta content or distribution of beta files like screenshots and video. There's no reason to think this is any different.

We go easy on you guys as long as you don't directly state that you have pirated something because hey, it's a fact of the internet, but technically even implying that isn't allowed. If you want to push the boundaries of what's allowed with ambiguous language or coyness, that's fine, but don't whine about it when you suffer consequences.

KA only gave you guys a normal infraction for it. You should be grateful. Like I said, direct admission of pirated content is supposed to result in permaban.

KA only gave you guys a normal infraction for it. You should be grateful. Like I said, direct admission of pirated content is supposed to result in permaban.

I'm not quite sure what you were expecting when you made this thread. But okay.

Among other things I assume he was hoping people wouldn't admit to pirating it. Jeez. He even said "be careful". And then you guys even complain about getting infracted. I mean come on.

10 points is a bit much....imo
Would you prefer to be banned? Feel free to continue whining to KA about how he moderates and I'm sure he'll be more than happy to oblige you.

I'm not quite sure what you were expecting when you made this thread. But okay.
Like tav said, I did explicitly warn people in the first post. Also, this is big news, so if I hadn't posted it, somebody else certainly would have.

Among other things I assume he was hoping people wouldn't admit to pirating it. Jeez. He even said "be careful". And then you guys even complain about getting infracted. I mean come on.

Indeed.

Back