Crytek2Engine news

DEATH eVADER

Space Core
Reaction score
I recently found out that the Crysis demo was pushed back to 26th OCT, which is bad for me as I have to wait longer (Well, OrBox is coming on the 10th, so that will keep me occupied :D), but I've also found out that the CryEngine2 game tool will be shipping alongside the demo, so we get an idea of the power of the tools before the game ships.

With what I have seen, the tools are very intuitive and easy to use (Though I guess will have to wait till they come out ;) ) so I may actually be able to bring across some of my game designs now. At first I'll need to see how low FPS becomes when filling a whole street with a whole pack of North Korean Zombies. Yeah, I'm thinking of making a zombie mod :p

Within the past year, Crytek have practically racked up a multitude of companies and organisations who will be using their Crytek 2 Engine, guessing due to the ease of their tools.

These are some of the highlights:

1st Educational Institution Licenses CryENGINE 2?(Educational Purposes)
Reloaded Studios Chooses CryENGINE 2?(MMO project)
XLGames Selects CryENGINE 2?(MMO project)
ENTROPIA UNIVERSE SELECTS CryENGINE 2?(MMO next-gen update)
New FPS powered by Crytek's CryENGINE 2?(FPS project)
WeMade Entertainment Licenses CryENGINE?(MMORPG+RTS mix)
Avatar Reality, Inc. Licenses CryENGINE 2? (MMO)

With that in mind, are there any projects that you interested in seeing more off, or hoping to help create?

Interestings, lots of MMO projects using DX10 graphics?

An MMO on the CryEngine2? Can't imagine that'll work well, unless they design the game in a way that limits the number of people around you. Or they somehow find a sufficient subscriber base who all happen to have rich parents and ridiculously overpowered computer.

Could be a "Lets just plan for 5 years down the road, and hope computers will be able to run it better then" type of thing.

An MMO on the CryEngine2? Can't imagine that'll work well, unless they design the game in a way that limits the number of people around you. Or they somehow find a sufficient subscriber base who all happen to have rich parents and ridiculously overpowered computer.

Well poly's disappear if you don't have a LOS to those polys. Whether that happens to model skeletons as well is another thing all together.

Not forgetting that servers are dedicated networking machines to handle this kind of load

Cryengine 2 is good for large open outdoor areas. In the beta a medium sized map is 4 square miles.

Ugh, can people stop making mmo's and think that they're cash cows?

The area where Valve fall down with Source is definitely the tools. Hammer is like something out of the dark ages when it comes to map creation.

The area where Valve fall down with Source is definitely the tools. Hammer is like something out of the dark ages when it comes to map creation.

Agreed. Valve needs to work on tools a lot more to become viable to other companies. They are slowly making progress with things such as real-time lighting and such, but nowhere near as intuitive as the WYSIWYG editor that is CryTek tools.

For CryTek, they do have nice tools. It is indeed one of the advantages to the system.

About all of the MMO's, some probably won't get finished, or we won't hear about them for years (and by then, computers will be a lot more powerful). Don't expect Crysis level graphics in MMO's though. They will probably be a little less than that, but still good looking.

Ugh, can people stop making mmo's and think that they're cash cows?

It is possible to play Entropia without spending real money, it just takes time to become skilled in Sweating creatures before you can start making proper money.

Right now, my character is worth 50p :|:D

Agreed. Valve needs to work on tools a lot more to become viable to other companies. They are slowly making progress with things such as real-time lighting and such, but nowhere near as intuitive as the WYSIWYG editor that is CryTek tools.

For CryTek, they do have nice tools. It is indeed one of the advantages to the system.

About all of the MMO's, some probably won't get finished, or we won't hear about them for years (and by then, computers will be a lot more powerful). Don't expect Crysis level graphics in MMO's though. They will probably be a little less than that, but still good looking.

Your telling me, what they atleast need to do is bring hammer upto a par, with say.. unrealed 2, so there's some form previewing fot lighting in the actual editor.

Light preview would be nice. But I don't see how they would pull that off with the current lighting they use, it would take to long I imagine. I myself would like the engine to treat models the same way it treats brushed lightning wise. And I would like a GUI for importing models, sounds, textures.

If they modified source in a way to work without needing to compile maps for the current .bsp maps we have now we'd be getting somewhere. Until then though we are stuck with an old format.

Light preview would be nice. But I don't see how they would pull that off with the current lighting they use, it would take to long I imagine. I myself would like the engine to treat models the same way it treats brushed lightning wise. And I would like a GUI for importing models, sounds, textures.
Yeah, the only reason UnrealEd can do lighting preview is because their lighting doesn't bounce so you get a less realistic effect that's quick to render.

Lightmaps for models would only work on specific models. Curved models would look like crap, and the engine would have to unwrap the model itself and would probably do a bad job. You could do it yourself in 3dsmax, or use a program like giles.

Back