CS:GO Steam Workshop Support Is Live!

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Counter-Strike: Global Offensive has become Valve's 5th game to feature Steam Workshop support for mods and additional content. The game received map workshop support earlier today after the conclusion of a short beta period earlier this year. Similarly to Portal 2, CS:GO features map only workshop support which allows users to view, download and rate a variety of different community created Counter-Strike maps. At time of writing, around 100 maps have already been uploaded including variations on existing maps, recreations of classics and the odd custom game mode.

slide-jpg.23969

Workshop support wasn't the only talking point from today's update, as the classic hostage rescue map cs_assault has been added to the game. Be sure to check out the Steam Workshop and the official post over at the Counter-Strike blog to read all about the game's most recent update and Steam's CS:GO celebratory weekend sale.

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    130.6 KB · Views: 19,947
cs_assault was the first map I played in the original CS and I've probably clocked over a 1000 hours on it now I think. Great to see it back again, they've adjusted the terrorist bias by adding skylights (with breakable glass) on the roof of the warehouse. It's an interesting mechanic which does shake up the turtling problems that the map has long suffered from.

with this update...how is this any different than custom maps that any random server would have? just saying I've played many user generated maps on custom servers and I guess I'm confused on why this is any different than before.

I guess I'm confused on why this is any different than before.

Its mainly that the maps reach a much wider audience. A large number of people are turned off from custom content because of the tedium of tracking it down and sifting the good from the bad. An officially supported interface puts every single player a few clicks away from the most popular stuff. Which in theory leads to more people playing them and thus more servers supporting them.. hopefully.

Back