CS:GO Update Overhauls Player Animation, Rigging, Hitboxes

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
This evening's CS:GO patch has dropped something of a bombshell, with Valve announcing they have totally revamped the game's player animation system. As shown by the image below, the game's previously-rectangular hitboxes have been replaced with more realistic and suitable rounded versions, meaning you should no longer unfairly miss a carefully aimed headshot.

hitboxes.png

These new hitboxes are far from the only changes, however, as all existing body animations have been upgraded to be smoother and to better reflect the player's actions at any given moment. New additions such as weapon deploys, bomb defusing, and ladder-climbing should also make it easier than ever to instantly read what any given player is up to at a moment's notice. Overhauling the entire system was likely no easy feat, and it's extremely interesting to see just how far Valve will go to improve CS:GO in what will likely prove a visually-subtle yet extremely meaningful way.

Several gameplay changes have also been made, including nerfs to the M4A1-S and buffs to the Dual Berettas, so head on over to the full changelog over on the CS:GO blog to learn more before you jump into a game! Once you've had a chance to play, share your thoughts below!

Last edited:
Hhhooooollleeeeeeyyyy shit DAMN SON that is waaaaay more than I expected

so thats why there wasnt any big updates in the last months. This is great!!!!

Wait for something that more than likely won't happen? What's the point?
I wouldn't say "more than likely" when Erik Johnson has been quoted as saying "I'm sure it'll end up on Source 2 at some point. Counter-Strike is growing." It's something Valve seems to be interested in. I would agree with you if you were saying TF2 will not likely make it to the new engine, however. Either way, I'd rather not argue about this, I'm just optimistic and it's the next logical step for Source 2, I would think.

I wouldn't say "more than likely" when Erik Johnson has been quoted as saying "I'm sure it'll end up on Source 2 at some point. Counter-Strike is growing." It's something Valve seems to be interested in. I would agree with you if you were saying TF2 will not likely make it to the new engine, however. Either way, I'd rather not argue about this, I'm just optimistic and it's the next logical step for Source 2, I would think.
CS:GO will be ported to Source 2 if and when there is a need -- which numerous people from Valve have said will be a while. CS:GO works fine on Source 1, and the effort necessary to port it to Source 2 is way too much for no benefit. Dota 2 needed it because the tools and functionality Valve would have otherwise shipped for custom games would have been terrible in regards to what is actually possible these days. Old Hammer still works fine for CS:GO.

CS:GO will be ported to Source 2 if and when there is a need -- which numerous people from Valve have said will be a while. CS:GO works fine on Source 1, and the effort necessary to port it to Source 2 is way too much for no benefit. Dota 2 needed it because the tools and functionality Valve would have otherwise shipped for custom games would have been terrible in regards to what is actually possible these days. Old Hammer still works fine for CS:GO.
Right. It won't be needed for some time. I just thought with CS:GO's popularity and Valve's push for more UGC on Source 2 that it would be something in the works coming relatively soon.

Right. It won't be needed for some time. I just thought with CS:GO's popularity and Valve's push for more UGC on Source 2 that it would be something in the works coming relatively soon.
I haven't read the quotes Nick is talking about from Valve, but the messy branches of Source 1 with it's modular additions over the years mean the CSGO version of the engine is repurposed for what they need for CSGO, naturally because Source 1 long pre-dates CSGO. I'm sure from an architecture, content creation, Steam integration etc perspective, working with Source 2 is an absolute dream compared to the hotch potch modularity and antiquated backbone of Source 1.

In terms of how that reflects on the time it takes to work on updates or roll out new features, I'm personally in agreement with you that Valve will have that on their mind to move to Source 2. Computer hardware has changed a lot since Source 1 too, and naturally Source 2 is better adjusted to what people currently have. On that basis alone, even without considering the developmental improvements, it will add value to their customers making it inevitable in my mind.

Back