CS:GO Update Hints At Inferno Rework

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
The first update to Counter-Strike: Global Offensive in a month has introduced a small number of minor changes, the largest of which hints at a continuing trend. Following the release of an overhauled Nuke back in February, the map has been added to the Active Duty map group, allowing it to be played both in competitive matchmaking and professional tournaments, starting at ESL One Cologne 2016 in July. It replaces classic map Inferno, which has instead been moved to the Reserves map group.

Csgo-de-inferno.png
While this may not seem particularly important at face value, the last two classic maps to be relegated to the Reserve pool were later re-released by Valve with all new visuals, overhauled layouts, and a subsequent resurgence in the competitive scene. This include Train in December 2014 and Nuke in February 2016, both of which featured as older maps dating back to CS 1.6 or earlier, with designs and outdated visuals barely distinguishable from CS:S. This profile also fits Inferno, which is one of the oldest maps currently in circulation, and one of the "worst" looking in regards to visual fidelity and polish. While it is easy to get excited, or disappointed, for an Inferno remake, but it'll likely be a long time before we see Inferno return (likely in the 10-12 month range, based on previous examples).

nuke_blog.png

Other changes introduced with tonight's CS:GO update include a new main menu UI option to sign up for upcoming beta programs and minor tweaks to Tulip and Mirage, so head on over to the changelog to check out the update for yourself.

I like this. Inferno is the only map left (active duty) that looks like Counter-Strike Source. I bet it won't have huge gameplay changes, just minor tweaks. This is especially nice because it will give mappers even more new high res textures and models :)

I like inferno a lot as-is so I hope they don't change too much gameplay wise.

Back