CS: Source and Engine Update Released

Reaction score
Valve have released an update for CS: Source and the Source Engine via Steam today. The full changelog is as follows:

[br]Counter-Strike: Source
  • Enabled support for SourceTV
  • Fixed a rare bug that caused some bullet impacts to be counted twice
  • Improved map overview support
  • The message of the day file is now required to be in the main game directory
  • Fixed an issue with player names being out of sync with the server
  • Fixed "purple checkerboard" problem for Message of the Day scrollbars
  • Fixed some localization issues related to player chat
  • Death notices are no longer displayed while blind
  • Death notices retain the correct team color even if the player quickly changes teams
  • Bots immediately change their names to match the bot_prefix when it changes
  • Bots join dedicated servers immediately if the bot_quota is nonzero
  • Fixed bug where bots would repeatedly fail to join with an invalid Steam ID
  • Added mp_logdetail at the request of server administrators
Source Engine

• Player sprays now persist through round restarts. The number of rounds a spray survives is determined by r_spray_lifetime
  • Fixed a bug causing the first message from a plug-in message to be colored incorrectly
  • Consistency checking is now skipped during demo playback
  • Added sv_visiblemaxplayers
  • Fixed timing precision error causing slower framerates on servers running continuously for more than a few days
As per usual, to receive the update, simply restart your Steam client.

Yay. Now to try to fill ever square foot of the map with my spray!

So would "r_spray_lifetime 0" stop sprays from appearing at all?

KagePrototype said:
Player sprays now persist through round restarts. The number of rounds a spray survives is determined by r_spray_lifetime

Why did they do that??

"In good standing" I guess that means...I don't know what it means but its good related to anti-cheating. Must be something with VAC2. And yes I did get a hardware survey! Its nice to see Valve updating it instead of letting it be stale.

it hasn't been updated since january ....

bliink said:
Why did they do that??
It's cool, and you know it is :) Before there were magical elf cleaners to wipe all marks at the next round ... hehe
Besides, it'll be turned to 0 for most servers anyway.

EDIT 612: Add VAC LIVES to the news, please :) I want people to visit and great jubilations to ring out.

I'm getting the refrenced memory could not be read over, and over and over again...

Maybe it's becuase the servers i'm joining haven't updated to the patch?

Well PISS. Just when i thought all my cs woes were a thing of the past, this seemingly pointless update comes along and mucks everything up. Ridiculous. Is it something with the source engine that prevents it from being easily patched?

Oh my problem.. Just played for about twenty minutes, got dropped randomly from two servers and topped it off with a 'memory could not be read' error. Can't believe this shit.

something is wrong. everyone is getting kicked everywhere

Grenades are bugged. Everytime you throw one you get dumped to desktop with a memory error. :sniper:

I keep getting dumped to the console every 5 minutes with some entity error. Nice job Valve... :p

AgH CHAOS! Yeah, numerous strange things have been occuring, i think i'll just stand back for a bit.

So glad they finally fixed the display of deaths when blind though. I've been really itching for that update /end blantent sarcasm.

Deemo said:
press Shift + f2

thats demo controls.. thats been in there since the beta way back in august lol.

SourceTV is probably just HLTV for source games.

The steampowered forums are full of whinging little girls at the moment.

Sure there is an issue, go outside and play until it is fixed :)

Cheers,
bbyybb.

if Valve took their opinons each time, they would be psychotic with all the:
steam Rocks, I <3 you for life,
then
Steam is the bane of all that is bad in the world.

very schizophrenic.
But the moderators did say it was fixed, and my steam updated. again.

Very nice.

How come my VAC says "You will be owned soon."

J/K

:) Can't wait to try out SourceTV soon! Hopefully clan servers will get it going soon enough for matches.

I can't even sign on Steam? Does this mean I cheated? Or someone who used my account cheated?

No, you should be able to log onto Steam, and unless VALVe changed how it worked, you just can't log into VAC-enabled servers... Though maybe they just completely block your account... Not sure.

Try again tomorrow, and make sure you have all necessary ports forwarded.

Yet again a CS:S update and yet again no HL2:DM update.... :(

Valve YEAH COME TO SAVE THE MOTHER ****ING DAY YEAH

ahhhhh Im so happy now

Kirkburn said:
Did anyone else get a survey request form?

Yes I did.
There is just 2 questions there about your network speed and they collect a stack of information about your pc.

Guess this is gona be used for the HDR release.

is it just me or is Valve is still completly oblivious to the fact that the ragdolls are screwed up? It seems ever since the last update screwed them over they havent made any effort to correct the problem. Its so unrealsitic to have limbs clip through other body parts, on their own body. And unrealistic deformations like the leg contraints for the knee no longer exist. so it bends in very unnatural ways.

Item physics also seem to be causing a tad more lag than normal as of late too.

DarkViper said:
is it just me or is Valve is still completly oblivious to the fact that the ragdolls are screwed up? It seems ever since the last update screwed them over they havent made any effort to correct the problem. Its so unrealsitic to have limbs clip through other body parts, on their own body. And unrealistic deformations like the leg contraints for the knee no longer exist. so it bends in very unnatural ways.

Item physics also seem to be causing a tad more lag than normal as of late too.
They've said theyre working on fixing the ct arm.

The ragdolls are fine otherwise.

I thought Cliffe said something about tweaking the ragdolls to make them a little more like HL in a recent interview. Hope they aren't identical.

-WorldSpawn- said:
I thought Cliffe said something about tweaking the ragdolls to make them a little more like HL in a recent interview. Hope they aren't identical.

That would be cool. I wrote to him about the CS:S physics and gave a link to a poll I made on these forums (over 90% wanted normal, HL2 physics), but didn't get any response :(. Even though I asked for, at least, a confirmation. Maybe he didn't get my e-mail? It doesn't take much time to write "I got your e-mail", right? BTW: that was about 2 months ago (or more)

I'm still a little bit disappointed as HL2DM player. This is the third update for "CS:S and Source Engine" only. Why won't they release those four extra maps? Are they working on something ultimate interesting? Man... c'mon.

Huh, now it's time for nicer words... Can't wait to see SourceTV in action. So glad that they did start VAC2. Hardware Survey? It can only mean that The Lost Coast and HDR is closer every day! ^^

Back