Ctf_quarry_v2 [Release]

PogoP

Reaction score
Hey guys!

Wow, it's certainly been some time since I last posted on here!

Anyway, for the past month and a half I've been working on my own custom TF2 map. It was set in a Quarry but it has now evolved into a Cavern sort of setting.

Version 1 of Quarry was released last Wednesday, and it has been received extremely well by the public. However, ther were a few things that could have been better in the map, as pointed out by others and myself. So, I present to you, ctf_quarry_v2! This is the second and hopefully final version of the map.

Here's a few screenshots (Ignore the difference in the watermarks, some of the areas haven't changed in the maps so I decided not to update the screenshots with new '_v2' watermarks:

ctf_quarry_v20060.jpg

ctf_quarry00005.jpg

ctf_quarry00003.jpg

ctf_quarry_v20045.jpg

ctf_quarry_v20041.jpg

ctf_quarry00004.jpg

ctf_quarry_v20043.jpg

And here's the download link.

http://files.filefront.com/ctf+quarry+v2zip/;9267839;/fileinfo.html

For more information, check out this link at the Steampowered forums:

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?p=7090271#post7090271

That link also links (wow!) to the version 1 thread of my map over at Steampowered.

Anyway, it was a pleasure working on this map, and I await your feedback!

Cheers guys,

-Pogo.

Looks great!

Our server is coming up around this weekend, we'll play it and I'll tell you what the local community thinks of it

Hey Pogo! Long time no see.

Shoot me an email and I'll try to check this out over the weekend. Looking great so far! :)

looks really good. do you have your own server because then could you post the ip for it

Nice, looks good, look forward to playing it on a server...

EDIT: wow, its big too, 50KB :O, maybe the biggest map ive seen, maybe too big...

I should add this is the best custom map I have yet to see

Nice, looks good, look forward to playing it on a server...

EDIT: wow, its big too, 50KB :O, maybe the biggest map ive seen, maybe too big...

Valve's TF2 maps are 50/60 Mb in size. However, I didn't do lightmap optimization. Pretty much everything uses 8 instead of the default 16.
I don't know how much that would have lowered the filesize by, but I imagine it wouldn't be less than 35 Mb in size afterwards anyway.

My reason for lowering the default is that I think it gives the Source engine a more 'next-gen' feel, defined shadows rather than the blurry shadows like in the Goldsource engine. However, I should have done lightmap optimization; it totally slipped my mind.

Wide distribution and playing of my map isn't really an issue for me. It's more a work of art of mine, something that I have enjoyed creating over the past month and a half. If people don't download it because they think the file size is too big, then that's their choice. I just wanted to make a piece for my portfolio more than anything!

Though it is really nice to see people enjoying it; hearing people's comments is really humbling.

Thanks guys!

Those minecarts annoyed me, but overall it's a very good map. At least it isn't as bad as mountaincoaster, which half of my deaths are due to the train.

Those minecarts annoyed me, but overall it's a very good map. At least it isn't as bad as mountaincoaster, which half of my deaths are due to the train.

Hahaha, I must've spent a half an hour trying to ride those things.

Back