DAMN WINDOWS 7 AGAIN!!

Stormy

Companion Cube
Reaction score
Ehg Windows 7 is being a complete piece of shit and I'm really hoping someone here can help me out!

I'm trying to install zbrush 3.1 and half way thought the install it stops and gives me a:

"Error 1926. Could not set file security for file C:\Windows\system32\"

Having a hunt around on the net I found a little information, one such piece suggest that the system32 file was set to read only. So I have a peak and Yes! it is.. Great.. problem solved right? Well no, I untick the box hit ok and BAM! it wont turn off. And this I am unable to install zbrush, Anyone have an idea why windows is being a nob?

Let me get this right... win7 is a "complete piece of shit" because it won't let some arbitrary installer **** with your system32 directory?

Somebody's doing it wrong, and I'll give you a hint... it ain't windows 7.

EDIT: Given that it's a $600 app, and given where you most likely got the installer from, I'd say there's a fair chance windows 7 being a "complete piece of shit" might've just saved your arse.

Did you run the executable as administrator?

Right, that's the first thing I do when I download some torrent and it fails to write to my system32 directory ;)

I'm asking this question on the assumption that what he is trying to do is legitimate and the installer is legitimate. He said nothing about torrents or anything, so I am merely asking.

Is that how I need to install files? As admin? The account I am using does have admin access as full.

When I right clicked and installed as admin it seemed to open the installer twice :S

Is that how I need to install files? As admin? The account I am using does have admin access as full.

When I right clicked and installed as admin it seemed to open the installer twice :S

Well, considering DreamThrall did bring up the fact, you should be sure that whatever installation file you have is not malware.

Files in Windows 7, from my experience anyway, can be run normally, without administrator privileges, or with administrator privileges. Sometimes a file needs to have administrator privileges in order to do certain write operations on the hard drive or some other things.

You can either right click on a file and choose to run as administrator, or you can go to the file properties and go to the compatibility tab and check the box that makes sure it is run as administrator all the time. That is, if you know what you are doing and you trust the file.

I'm probably not the best person to be trying to help though. I don't know a whole lot about Windows 7 and I am still new to it(relatively).

It is a legit copy of zbrush which I have borrowed from my work play so its pretty annoying it wont install.

I have try running in compatibility mode using xp sp2 and with admin permissions on but its still not having any of it

2wokpqg.jpg

You should try turning off UAC and see if that solves it. That's cured thousands of problems for many people.

It is a legit copy of zbrush which I have borrowed from my work play so its pretty annoying it wont install.

I have try running in compatibility mode using xp sp2 and with admin permissions on but its still not having any of it

I smell a fish here.

Are you sure that program is not doing something other than install?

In other words... Is this a legit-ware? Did your "Place of Work" actually paid for this?

If not, I would C&D.

Good Luck.

^^ I have already turned off all the UAC settings a wile back when I was first having problems installing stuff.

That thread was the first thing I found when I was having the problem but no one seems to have any way of solving it which is a bit of a pain. I'll carry on hunting around and probably sign up to the zbc forums tomorrow when I get a chance and ask around there.

Thanks for trying to help out tho guys xxx

Also it is a legit copy, Disney wont allow any pirated mumbojumbo on their machines.

Also it is a legit copy, Disney wont allow any pirated mumbojumbo on their machines.

Got it! :thumbs:

I'm fresh out of ideas, and whatever came to mind has already been ruled out by others.

Forums can be your best friends right about now.

Good Luck.

You do realize its not telling you what file its having a problem with right? Its just saying its in the system32 folder. I dont get how you could have "checked the file" without knowing what it was. And your system32 folder should be read only.

How much space do you have left on the C: drive?

You do realize its not telling you what file its having a problem with right? Its just saying its in the system32 folder. I dont get how you could have "checked the file" without knowing what it was. And your system32 folder should be read only.

I'm quite sure he meant the system32 folder itself, not a particular file.

And yeah, that folder should be read-only. I wouldn't use a program that decides the best way to install itself is by throwing it's junk in an important system folder like that.

with admin permissions on but its still not having any of it

Also, when you say this ^, do you mean you right click the installer .exe file and choose "Run as administrator" ? Because if not, thats what you should be doing.

Hi guys . I have the problem . any body solved it ? this is my problem :

I am having an issue installing ZBrush3 on Windows7 Ultimate 32-bit OS.

First off, I am the only account on the OS and I am running this on Bootcamp on a Macbook Pro

When I run the installer I get the error message:

Error 1926. Could not set file security for file C:\Windows\system32\, Error: 0. Verify that you have sufficient priveleges to modify the security permissions for this file.

I did some research on http://www.zbrushcentral.com/showt [...] ge=4&pp=15 and read about changing privilleges on the system32 folder.

I went to the location, however it gives me another error when attempting to clear the Attributes square Read-only (Only applies to files in folder). When Square is clear, after clicking Apply, selecting the only not grayed out option Apply changes to this folder, subfolders and files, and clicking OK, I recieve a message:

You will need to provide administrator permission to change these attributes.

I then click Continue and get another error: An error occurred applying attributes to the file: C:\Windows\system32\12520437.cpx Access is denied.

I have the option here to to select Ignore, Ignore All, Try Again, Cancel. I chose Try Again, but the message keeps popping up. So I tried Ignore All, this takes me to a dialog box of Aplying attirbutes... then it looks as if process was completed. However when I right click and go to system32 preferences again, I sill see the Read only box filled in.

I then attempted to go into the security tab and chage user privilages.

When going here, I see my Username, selct it, and click edit. When I try to allow Full control for the location and click either Apply or OK I get the following dialog box message:

You are about to change the permission settings on system folders, which can result in unexpected access problems and reduce security. Do you want to continue?

I click Yes and get an Error Apply Security dialog box with the following dialog:

An error occurred while applying security information to: C:\Windows Access is denied.

I select Continue and get dialog box Windows Security Unable to save permission changes on Windows. Acces is denied.

Can someone please tell me why Windows7 is giving so many permission issues when I am the ONLY USER ON THE COMPUTER?

Thank you,

Back