Dark Souls coming to PC

Stigmata

The Freeman
Reaction score
http://gamingbolt.com/dark-souls-prepare-to-die-edition-coming-to-pc-in-august

There we have it. Dark Souls is finally confirmed for the PC. The front cover of PC Action magazine has confirmed the existence of a PC version of Dark Souls. It’s called “Dark Souls: Prepare to Die Edition”, and it will be released this August.

There’s a preview in the magazine as well where they talk about the graphics and other technical things.

There are new bosses as well in the PC version, and that should be [probably] enough of an incentive for people to buy it, along with the superior graphics of course. Gamepad will be supported.

I approve. Discuss or I kill you.

damn you! I haven't posted on here in a while but I thought this bit of news would warrant my return...

anyway, as one of the 92k petition signers I am very excited for this
DaS is a fantastic game and deserves to be appreciated by another chunk of the gaming population
plus new bosses? better graphics? maybe no lag in Blighttown?
SIGN ME UP!

I know very little about the game other than the general buzz about its difficulty. Someone describe it to me!

I've heard good things. Definitely will keep an eye on it for when I can build a decent PC.

Oh god yes. The sole reason why I never bought DeS or DaS was that I barely touch my PS3 nowadays.

maybe no lag in Blighttown?

Wishful thinking. But yea I'm glad this is going to PC. Seems like the calling for a game like Dark Souls would be bigger there then on console anyway.

I was intrigued by Demons Souls back when it was released and ever since then, what with not owning a PS3, I've felt like I missed out on something good. Dark Souls will be a close to definite purchase for me, as long as it's a competent port.

Hopefully it's not over £24.99.

Yeah, not gonna happen. Regardless of whether it's a good port or not, a successful console game on PC is gonna be a damn sight more than £24.99.

It's funny though, the amount of people that complain about the price of video games. I remember the days when SNeS games cost £60+... :confused:

A real shame about GFWL. I signed the petition even though I consider such petitions worthless. That's how saddening it is. 'Never-buy' for me also.

Add me to that list. I'm not going through the GTA IV/Bioshock 2 (yea, I know, I still regret the purchase) fiasco again with those damn client updates.

Random Reddit dude makes a valid point:
DISCLAIMER: I do not like GFWL, and I wish it wouldn't use it. But...
The other side of the coin is that the port may not occur without it. Since the game is made with it's multiplayer features so deeply enrooted in the gameplay, launching the game with GFWL is significantly easier then without it since it shares a lot of source code with Xbox Live.
Without GFWL they will have to find another platform that is compatible with the game's code structure that supports the ability to seamlessly interact with the game the way GFWL does. If they don't, then they would have to code such a platform from scratch which would easily run up several million dollars in cost. The other alternative is reprogram the game to fit an existing platform, but that's the same thing as taking apart a car to replace it's frame.
I have a fear that this game would not be able to launch without GFWL.

Worth a try. There would never be a PC version of Dark Souls without petitions.

I guess that since they same the multyplayer is core of the gameplay,it means you cant pause in singleplayer like the other tons of games like that?

Dang.

Yeah, you can't pause. Hope you don't get Jehovah's Witnesses often.

As much as it may be necessary, it doesn't stop it being a godawful system.

However, this being something that is being put in out of necessity rather than anything else, I may still buy this.

I've thought about this for a while... And I don't think I will buy Dark Souls until I have graduated. Namely because it sounds terribly stressful, and I already have a ton of anxiety. lol.

If you don't buy Dark Souls because you won't be able to pause, I have no pity for you missing out on a great game.

This is so tempting.. comes out in a day. -20% at greenmangaming.

Need to hear how the controls are first. Also need to decide if it is worth ruining my entire life over.
Also Guild Wars 2.

It's not REALLY as bad as people make it out to be. (It's one of the few games lately that takes the old formula for action games- the game doesn't make you get better, you get better.) Likewise, there are more than enough safe areas to make pausing not an issue. And if you have to drop it at a point that will make you die, then oh well, it happens a lot anyway, real life is more important.

As the game takes place (While connected to the internet) almost entirely in a state of seamless multiplayer-esque shit, pausing would be IMPOSSIBLE. It would make the game incredibly more unfun for those portions and all that shiznizzle.

As a dickwraith I would be pissed off if the host paused when I invaded and just sat there to piss me off, because there are a lot of dishonorable hollows online.

After beating Gothic 2: Night of The Raven, I felt like I could pretty much beat any RPG so long as I was patient. (Took me like two months at least) And for the first 30% of the game there was like a 8/10 chance you would die against any single enemy. Then by the time you reached the 50% mark it was like a 5/10 chance you would die against any enemy.

So I was like "Yeah, I could play Dark Souls, I am super patient and slow", but I am just anticipating this world of stress and pain I couldn't even fathom.

I still can't stress enough how shitty as hell this port sounds and how better off you pc peasants will be not buying this game until it either gets resolved (which probably won't happen given From's incompetence here), or you get a console and join the master race.

Oh shit is it out? Maybe I'll wait for a Steam sale >_>

The game is kind of misrepresented by the hype it gets from people who say it's THE HARDEST GAME EVER and will consume your soul and etc etc. It's not so much that it's difficult, it's just extremely unforgiving and requires patience. There will undoubtedly be moments of frustration and a lot of the game is punctuated by a sense of dread at the very real possibility that you'll lose all your hard earned souls and have to repeat an area, but it rewards diligence.

I mean sure, it's hard too, but you adapt.

I had this preordered a while back after a night of drunken miscalculation, but after reading more and more about how terrible the port sounded I cancelled and got Sleeping Dogs instead (which is a lot of fun btw). Today it sounds like the naughty pegleg eyepatch types have been playing Dark Souls and word is that the port is every bit as rough as was feared.

tqr13.png

JaeLw.png

Wh7K6.png

jcgij43n.jpg

All ugly due to internal resolution lock. HOWEVER, some guy on neoGAF has reportedly fixed that res lock already:

data2012-08-2319-29-00ojjb.png

data2012-08-2319-18-3m8kbf.png

I'll wait to read more about fixes and then perhaps this port could be worth a budget buy.

Yeah. I read it took the guy 23 minutes to do something the devs were too incompetent to do. Also glad someone else is playing Sleeping Dogs. : )

Stay the hell away from mouse and keyboard. Theb iggest problem I know of is that the fops is locked at 30 and if it dips much lwoer than that for even a few seconds you're shot back to the main menu, or the game just crashes. I forget which.

In their defense they never planned to make this. PC f*ggots who are too gay to get a console and stop playing on their inferior macbook vistas made a petition and From pretty much had to whip this shit up. That said they're goddamned idiots for not letting someone competent do it.

moral of the story if you are a pc peasant kill yourself f*ggot lmao

Could you expand on what's wrong with the port? I don't really get it from those screenshots, I also don't really care about graphics.

I have heard that a controller is highly recommended though.

Edit: Oh, that is pretty ugly. Hmm..
The port is locked into rendering at 1024x720 with all other resolutions upscaled/stretched. That's almost unheard of for a non-indie, 3D game and it's the reason those first 4 pics look all smeared and blurry. Then there's the frame rate limit and the devs have talked about struggling to eliminate the FPS drops from the console version. There's also GFWL. To me it just sounds like they've spunked out one of the most half-arsed ports ever because they assume PC gamers are all eyeless partygame Wii casual dipshits like Willie.

However, check the last two screenshots and you'll see what the guy on neoGAF has done. Assuming he releases that as a mod soon then it'll work like any port should.

Of course if graphics don't bother you then that specifically is not a big deal, but you also have to wonder where else they've scrimped on quality assurance if the overall level of polish is so low. There's also the question of the level of effort they've put in for the price they're asking (PC Alan Wake was ten bucks cheaper iirc and it was excellently done), which is what made me cancel the preorder in the end.

EDIT: here's another pic of what Durante the guy on neoGAF is doing with his resolution fix.

data-2012-08-23-19-44chun5.jpg

If this guy has fixed the resolution and can fix the fps lock to prevent the boot to menu issue I'd say go for a purchase once that's all been sorted. I'd wait longer in case any other serious bugs or issues pop up, though. Can never be too careful.

Just released. Steam forums are exploding with problems, naturally..

No keybinding. Also, I believe only mouse 1 works in terms of mouse control. Everything is listed as xbox controls on screen. Crashing on start up for Win 7 64 Bit, and Win 8. Some can't change the language.

I'll probably get it if I can find an xbox controller that isn't $30...

I have an xbox controller for PC.. Should I just not buy it though? Seems to be a lot of problems not even related to controls. Then there are the problems with controls.

Maybe wait a week and see if any fixes are being released. GMG has a 20% off coupon until the 31st.

I'll probably get it if I can find an xbox controller that isn't $30...
Wait, are you saying $30 is a lot for an xbox controller? Official controllers for current gen consoles are usually higher than that I thought. 30 is a nice price.

Yea I got mine brand new from Walmart for about $25-$35. It's an official Microsoft XBOX controller and everything too.

I think I'll wait a bit and see if it gets it's fixes. Thanks ZT.

Wait, are you saying $30 is a lot for an xbox controller? Official controllers for current gen consoles are usually higher than that I thought. 30 is a nice price.

Cheapest I found was $25 on amazon (not including shipping) I am on a tight budget. I don't want to spend $70 in total for one game..

I'm sure you'll find other uses for the controller. Or maybe you won't because you're all hipster and only casually play videogames.

You can drive to my house and give it to me when you're done, I'll pay you $20.

Back