Dark Souls coming to PC

Yeah and you can fly to my house and then I don't know what will happen. We can the Xbox controller 360. I'll pay you €4

Xbox 360 wired controllers go for around $60 here, I'd happily grab one for $30.

USB is how 360 and PS3 controllers connect to the console so.... yes. They don't call it universal for nothing.

Debating whether I should buy this or not. I got it for 360 last year, but sadly it red ringed around December. I've been trying to decide whether its actually worth trying to fix (warranty is long gone) or replace, since Dark Souls would likely be the only game I play on it, and we seem to be nearing another console generation anyways.

What do you guys think?

If you want to give it a try, I hear RROD'd Xboxes are relatively easy to fix. I've had this saved away in my documents for a while in case it happened again out of warranty (of course I've sold mine now so I guess I'll just go ahead and free up that 3kb).

Edit: Now that I think about it I have no idea if this information will still be relevant as they've updated the guts of the 360 a few times to reduce failure rates. Might pay to do your own research instead. :v

I used to fix these on my college campus for $30 a pop. It was so easy and I had a corner on the market since people played the shit out of their systems.
Go to Radioshack and get some Arctic Clean and Arctic Silver 5 (NOT CERAMIQUE). Go to Home Depot and get 8 1/4 inch machine screws, 16 nylon washers, and 16 metal washers. If you don't want to go to the store, they sell repair kits on eBay for really cheap that come with tools.
Take apart the Xbox, be sure you have a good screwdriver set with a bunch of different tips. Here's a helpful video:
Get some q-tips and dab them first in the thermal paste remover (Arctic Clean 1) and clean off all the old paste off both the GPU and the CPU until it's clear and shiny.
Once the paste is gone off the chips, dip a q-tip in the thermal surface purifier (Arctic Clean 2) and clean the chip with it, the remover is highly acidic and can damage the chip if you don't clean all of it off.
Clean off both the heatsinks and remove the x-clamp holders with a wrench. You can ditch the x-clamps at this point, you won't be needing them again.
You need to re-heat the CPU, GPU, and Memory Chips. I use a heat gun that I got from Home Depot, but you can also use a hair dryer as well with a high heat setting.
Flip the board over and on the bottom go over the CPU, GPU, and Memory chips for about 20-30 seconds each. Make sure you go in a circular pattern with the heat gun/dryer and not stationary! Let the board sit for 20 minutes and don't touch or move it until the 20 minutes is up!
Flip it back over and now do the same thing with the top of the chips. Let it sit for 20 minutes again.
Set out your 8 screws and put a metal washer on first followed by a nylon washer on each.
Apply a small amount of Arctic Silver 5 to the GPU and CPU and use a credit card/index card to smooth it out to cover the chip. IT should be about the thickness of a sheet of paper.
Take your screws and put them into the holes on the bottom of the board, put tape over the end of each screw to keep them in the slot.
Flip over the board and put a nylon washer on first and a metal washer on second to each screw. Put the GPU heatsink on first and line it up with all of the screws. Hold it together and flip over and rest the heatsink on your knee and remove each piece of tape and screw in the screws to the heatsink. Make it tight but not too tight.
Repeat the same process for the CPU heatsink.
Place the motherboard back into the metal housing and plug in the fan and replace the shroud and the CD drive. Replace the power board and power up the system and insert a game.
If there's no problems, screw the motherboard back into the housing and close it back up. If it still gives the RROD, check for what the error code by pressing the sync button and the eject button. Look up your code online to see if it's a hardware issue or a software issue.
Enjoy your resurrected Xbox!

FPS lock might be much harder to fix than resolution. Depending on how the game is coding making it run at 60fps might double the gameplay speed.

FPS lock might be much harder to fix than resolution. Depending on how the game is coding making it run at 60fps might double the gameplay speed.
Oh come on, no modern game engine is this limited, right?

Reportedly when you take the FPS cap off LA Noir it ****s up the driving physics.

Well that doesn't necessarily mean that the engine is incapable of running at higher fps with a simple setting change (to the engine I mean). If they really are using an engine that's totally incapable of changing the FPS without having to reprogram everything or whatever, then that's really awful.

Yeah I'd be down for that as long as it was still in good condition.

Just released. Steam forums are exploding with problems, naturally..

No keybinding. Also, I believe only mouse 1 works in terms of mouse control. Everything is listed as xbox controls on screen. Crashing on start up for Win 7 64 Bit, and Win 8. Some can't change the language.

I'll probably get it if I can find an xbox controller that isn't $30...
Wait, no keybinding? what the ****?

Wait, no keybinding? what the ****?
No keybinding is total bullshit unless he's talking about rearranging the controller setup. You can rebind keyboard controls just fine from ever other source I've seen.

I strongly apologize for this awful port on behalf of From. Jesus, I'm really glad I waited to buy it on steam. Awfulness.

If you get the resolution fix and a controller, it runs fine and you can play it fine. But that's absolutely unacceptable for a PC port of what should be a quality company.

I personally blame namco bandai and darkside.

Well I mean, they weren't planning on releasing it on PC until it was petitioned by fans. I can understand being upset if they had planned to do this for a while and promised it would be optimized for PC, but they didnt do either of those things. They were very transparent on the type of port it was going to be, so no-one should be surprised.

I'm happy that it seems to be very playable. It's basically the console version + some stuff and moddable. So it's not like it's worse than the console version is, like say, Resident Evil 4's port. This is their first real PC effort (I know they made some other PC game no one ever heard of) and I hope it was/will be a financial success so they can make PC an actual development focus for the next game and while I wouldn't expect a simultaneous launch, at least have a more feature-complete PC version.

Well I mean, they weren't planning on releasing it on PC until it was petitioned by fans. I can understand being upset if they had planned to do this for a while and promised it would be optimized for PC, but they didnt do either of those things. They were very transparent on the type of port it was going to be, so no-one should be surprised.
That's no excuse. If they didn't want to do it, they didn't have to. It's not like we're putting them up to the stocks or something.

But they decided to do it, so it's their fault it was a shitty job and yeah we wanted a PC version, but only if they put effort into it. Took a guy a week and 23 minutes to make a resolution fix, why they **** couldn't they in half the time with their team?

And this fix was made without access to the source code. It's just sad.

This fix is also not completely stable (as far as I've read), but I get your point about that.

Don't get me wrong, it's a bad port and that is one of the main reasons I have held off on buying it (until it goes on sale anyways). I just feel reluctant to throw a developer that was 1) not experienced with developing for the PC, and 2) trying to port a game that wasn't originally designed with porting in mind, under the bus. Then again, maybe you all know more about this process than I do and it's not as monumental as I think it is...

There's definitely a good bit of backstory, but you'll have to search the internet. Also if you do the Artorias of the Abyss dlc DO NOT

kill Sif, save him instead. You'll get an alternate intro cinematic when you encounter him that is rather sad.

Just "got" the game.

I play with a PC XBOX controller and it works perfectly for this game. The resolution thing isn't a big deal, it doesn't look that bad. I tried the fix but it just ****s up my game, so I just play vanilla and it looks just fine to me. My only problem is the FPS thing. It lags too much. It's never horrid lag or anything, but enough to be annoying and make this a non-purchase. I might pick it up for a console though. It is a very good game so far. I've died like 4 times already and played for like an hour. ****ing hard. I beat the first boss with no potion things left and maybe like 2 units of health left. Very close battle.

The console doesn't fix the framerate issues. And which boss are you referring to as the first boss? Asylum or Taurus? Cause Taurus is the first boss.

And ZT- you played 30 hours and got to Blighttown? You should be a fair farther than that by then, I think. I don't really remember, by the time I finished I had logged about 80 hours and that was doing all the side stuff too, plus some bro op and pvp. What are you talking about with backtracking? The only backtracking you should have to do is to run back to Sen's after ringing both bells. It gets moderately easier once you get the Lordvessel, though, I guess, which lets you teleport from bonfire to bonfire. The PC version apparently added a bunch more port locations too (it was really limited and annoying in the console version).

The bonfire system works amazingly.(Except in new londo ruins where there isn't one because the place is filled with ~GHOSTS~) The game is supposed to play like that- it punishes being awful. Demon's was the same way. It's an arcade-y format, and supposed to work like older games with the checkpoint system. You could call it tedious, but it trains you. You get better as it forces you to play. You'll find you have to start over a lot less, and easy enemies won't bother you nearly as much. It's one of the few games these days that doesn't MAKE you get better, it ALLOWS you to get better. IF you don't get better, the game doesn't care. There is no forgiveness if you can't learn.

Quicksaving has spoiled games bigtime.

The bonfire system works amazingly.(Except in new londo ruins where there isn't one because the place is filled with ~GHOSTS~) The game is supposed to play like that- it punishes being awful. Demon's was the same way. It's an arcade-y format, and supposed to work like older games with the checkpoint system. You could call it tedious, but it trains you. You get better as it forces you to play. You'll find you have to start over a lot less, and easy enemies won't bother you nearly as much. It's one of the few games these days that doesn't MAKE you get better, it ALLOWS you to get better. IF you don't get better, the game doesn't care. There is no forgiveness if you can't learn.

Quicksaving has spoiled games bigtime.
Reading this reminded me of Ninja Gaiden (NES) and the hours and hours and hours I spent on it. I beat it one time. That was about a month ago. I've been playing for like 15 years or so and beat it ONCE. Games have been spoiled by quick saves, I agree. Dark Souls did it right.

Sooo much backtracking.
Go to darkroot garden (orwhateveritscalled) oh look, a secret door. Oh, some eastern armor is behind those doors? Great! I could use some good armor to beat that pesky boss. Lets go see how much the key is. 20000 Souls. Oh... well... time to go to a bonfire and start grinding! Goes to darkroot bonfire. Grinds golems a million times. Goes to bell tower, grinds the same bad guys a million times.

I want to upgrade my pyromancy! All I have to do is save this weird guy from a barrel in the sewers. Okay. Did that. So... how about you upgrade my pyromancy? No. Okay... oh, I guess I have to run back to the beginning area to talk to you about pyromancy? Even though you are right here? Great. More backtracking.

Need the drakesword? Oh, shoot, well, I don't really have enough dexterity to wield this bow properly, and I don't own enough arrows. Guess it's time to do some red-dragon stairs grinding and undead berg grinding. For the millionth time. Okay. I am leveled. Now I have to get to the merchant. I have to kill those two armored skeleton guards again, for the 50th time. Okay. Buy arrows. Run back upstairs, shoot dragon's tail for 20 minutes.
Cool, the drake sword. That entire endeavor only took me.. 2 hours (because the first time I was short a few arrows) What a fun and challenging way to achieve a new weapon boring and arbitrary way to achieve a new weapon.

And this just continues, I know for example, that Domhnall the merchant moves from the blight town entrance to a secluded area on a bridge at the beginning area. Great! Now if I want to buy something from him, I have to run all the way back to the beginning area, kill those lvl 1 skeletons for the 100th time, jump onto the bridge, inch myself across, and talk to him.
WHY?? That's not challenging, that's POINTLESS. That's like if I wanted to go to dunkin donuts, but suddenly dunkin donuts moves, and I find out it moves back to my home town where I no longer live. So I have to travel there, but instead of it being on a street corner, the dunkin donuts is hidden beneath a bridge.

It's not about the lack of quicksaves or anything like that. It's the fact that in order to level, get gear, find a new location, locate a boss, or just about anything in the game, it involves you grinding the same enemies in the same exact spots over and over again regardless if you die. This leaves the scope of "challenge" and enters into the world of monotony.

Except that you don't need to do any of that.

There is an alternate entrance to the forest[did you even go fight the moonlight butterfly/the hydra?] (which, by the way, you didn't need to go into that early at all) and 20k souls isn't that bad at all once you get to the point where you're SUPPOSED to go fight Sif.

The drake sword is unnecessary and doesn't scale so it becomes useless past a certain point (you should start upgrading weapons as soon as you can anyway and they'll start to beat the drake sword).

There is no grinding, period. You only grind as much as you feel you need to.

You can beat the game at level 6 with the starting equipment if you really felt like it. It'd be hard as dicks, but that's how the game is made.

What I think the problem is is that you're trying to powergame because other games tell you that you should be the absolute best with equipment and shit and that's not what Dark Souls is about at all. I wore the Elite Knight set for pretty much the entire game, because I hate how all the other armor looks.

It's exploration and wonder. Yeah it can get frustrating, but if you're having too much trouble on the easier areas than you're doing something really wrong.

It is the best sword I have found in the entire game so far, except the Black Knight Sword which is incredibly slow.
Bro up. Slow swords are best swords. :cool:

I didn't use magic at all. Magic is for pussies.

Reactions: MFL
Magic is kind of cheap tbh. If I ever had too much trouble downing an enemy I'd just grab whatever the best pyromancies I had to do half the work for me. There probably should have been a requirement for using it besides souls, since I always tended to have enough to get the best ones anyway.

ZT, you are suffering a major case of going the wrong damn way. XD. Which happens a lot in Dark Souls, from my experience. Then again, no one is ever there to tell you the right way. Ever.

All the game does is tell you certain death is down the corridor, sit back in it's leather recliner, light up a smoke, and stare at you.

One of the reasons I love this game is that it holds up a mirror to the kind of gamer I am. Am I going to keep going down? I always think this has to be it, this has to be the bottom of hell. But it goes deeper. And the dread worsens each time. How much more worse can it get?

The game is defined by two moments, each of which occurs at different points for different people.

1: The point where you look down that corridor and start walking forward, because **** you game.

2: The moment in the darkness, in the unknown, where you stop, self-reflect, stare into the abyss, and say to yourself, "I am in over my head.", and run the **** back into the incandescent sunlight. Like a bitch.

The cycle continues for me on my first playthrough. Nota Bene: **** the Tomb. Didn't know about the damn lantern till twenty deaths in.

Magic is a crutch. Play through it first without it.

Don't read wiki's. Don't read lore. If you deserve it, you'll figure it out. That's how the story and the mechanics and the gear and everything about how this game works.

"All you get is a very, very generalized idea of what is going on"

Is this so wrong? All of the subplots aren't necessary to the primary goal presented to you, like quite a bit of the material you previously mentioned working through. I guess I should have said "if you want", rather than "if you deserve". My bad. I objectively have a raging bias. Like what you like, I certainly don't mind.

Personally I think the ambiguous setup only furthers the setting and mood of the game, much like one did in HL1.

"it's a matter of laziness"

I disagree. I believe that the various story elements are portrayed as they are on purpose. Ambiguous and uncertain by design.

There's story to dark souls, but there's more lore. Neither is necessary to enjoy the game.

I got the game and installed the fix and WOW, with a 360 PC controller, it's like I'm playing on console with better graphics. So glad I can finally play this game, it's really fun.

Back