Day of Defeat: Source - New Screenshots

M1RAG3

Reaction score
Kali from the Day of Defeat Pexsus Gaming Network recently sent word that he had tracked down multiple new screenshots of the game. Two of the screens are comparison shots between DoD and DoD:S. Also there are many new screenshots of Flash and Avalanche, showing off some of the beautiful new level geometry and ragdoll physics.[br]

[br]Thanks again to Kali for the great DoD:S news. To see the rest of the screenshots head on over to their site by clicking here.

For some reason, those screens don't float my boat. BiA better hurry... or I'll wait. :(

the screens don't flow my boat either, water refraction is the best attribute that sells a screenshot :D

I dont like the rock textures, it reminds me of HL1 too much. With the source engine, they should be able to add some depth to the rocks and gravel, seeing as how that is the landscape of most levels.

they don't look anything that spectacular.

but I already bought it :)

the main thing is if it's fun

Wow! DOD:S is amazing! I think I'll buy a Pentium Pro to celebrate! The graphics are so good, no one is going to be playing Tetris anymore!

Roland Deschain said:
I think I'll wait till Call of Duty 2 comes around the corner.

yea that game looks awesome. But still there has to be room for both.

I had to look twice before confirming they were Source engine screenshots. Pretty disappointing, really :(

Now those definately look better then the original Avalanche, hopefully with the new models and the added particle effects, it will look a whole lot better.

]-UnderTOW-[ said:
I seriously doubt CoD2 is set in WW2.

It is. Why wouldn't it be? Course instead of Europe they've moved south to North Africa.

Dissapointed yes, but I reckon the game looks much nicer in motion. I hope anyway.

At this point in time, Brothers In Arms floats my boat.

bgesley426 said:
It is. Why wouldn't it be? Course instead of Europe they've moved south to North Africa.

so im guessing its the battle between the British that occupied North Africa, to the Axis invaders Italy. (CoD2)

dod:source is lookin pretty nice.

until i see all the maps i aint got an opinion on the game really. ill wait till other people have bought the game to tell me what it is like. :D

The only one im lookin forward too is Bf2 :naughty:

I never even played Day of Defeat......Can't wait ^_^

The only thing that puts me off is the models, but im sure sum1 will make a pack of new ones :p

Looks like crap. The HL1 engine can do the same, look at the textures and the map itself. It's too blocky.

Going against most comments here - i actually like what they've done, granted it's not upto CS:S quality, but they've captured the mood of the original just right. The gameplay is again far different to CS:S and there are far more players involved in your average game. When I first played DoD, graphics weren't an issue - gameplay was, and the same distinction will apply to DoD:S in my opinion.

r~ Defrag said:
I had to look twice before confirming they were Source engine screenshots. Pretty disappointing, really :(
It says it in large writing across the middle of the shot...

I reckon these maps are up to CS:S quality. Avalanche here looks just as good as many CS:S maps... a lot of which look more barren.

Compare THIS with THIS. I think we shouldn't assume DoD:S will be uglier than CS:S.

If it seems like DoD on Source hasn't improved on the original as much as CS:S did... thats becaue HL1 Counterstrike was munting. :x Whereas the original DoD looked fairly nice in the first place.

IMO :imu:

if you criticize DoD:Source, Shens imo army will be after you.. UH Ohz/

:imu: :imu: :imu: :imu: :imu: :imu: :imu: :imu: :imu: :imu:

I was never getting it anyway,but i have to say i could'nt really tell the differance bewteen the comparsion shots at the top.
Bring on c.o.d 2.

Betelgeuze said:
WTF , I made those comparison shots
... hmm not nice

Complain to Pexgames. If they refuse, make a big deal about it in forums and whatnot.

it looks pretty nice.. :).. but in the in game videos it looks a VERY lot like the old DOD :s

I hope the atmoshpere has changed, I really did not like that in DOD. But my intuition says this is a tame port of everything.

Not something that my cash is going to...

I can't say I'm particularly impressed with the screens, everything looks a little too generic (sandbags especially) and the lumpy detrius just looks plain bad. As for it looking better than CS:S, well perhaps against the more basic maps like Dust and Aztec, but compared to the more recent CS:S offerings of a revamped Prodigy, train and the new compound (which is sublime) they don't hold much of a candle I'm afraid.

As for it looking better than CS:S, well perhaps against the more basic maps like Dust and Aztec, but compared to the more recent CS:S offerings of a revamped Prodigy, train and the new compound (which is sublime) they don't hold much of a candle I'm afraid.

True true.
But like you say, recent CS:S maps represent the very best of a mod which has been on release for months. These DoD screens are showing the earliest of pre-public beta stuff, so right now I'm going to be optimistic for the future of DoD:S.

Noobulon said:
I reckon these maps are up to CS:S quality. Avalanche here looks just as good as many CS:S maps... a lot of which look more barren.

Compare THIS with THIS. I think we shouldn't assume DoD:S will be uglier than CS:S.

If it seems like DoD on Source hasn't improved on the original as much as CS:S did... thats becaue HL1 Counterstrike was munting. :x Whereas the original DoD looked fairly nice in the first place.

IMO :imu:

I agree - I actually thought that DoD now looks a lot better than CS ever has (without any custom stuff). DoD had rain, some good smoke effects from grenades and those awesome detail textures that got introduced in... whatever version - I can't remember. Unfortunately, pretty much everyone plays with cl_particlefx 0 so they don't see the smoke or rain and the detail textures can be disabled as well. Hopefully, cl_particlefx will be a locked command players can't fiddle with.

Right now, I think DoD:S could really benefit with a little bit of fog to create some nice depth.

SeriousStu said:
I think DoD:S could really benefit with a little bit of fog to create some nice depth.

That's just what I was thinking actually. It works real nice in de_dust.

Imagine smoggy atmospherics which actually comes from the exploding nades and shells... that would be cool....

The central area of Avalanche would have a permanent fog of smoke thrown up by nades...

Great that the best WW2 MP shooter ever made is getting better graphics :)

No other shooter even comes close imo..

Looks alright. I'm sure they will update the player models. Plus, it's not even beta stages yet.

Back