DDoS attack on Dota 2

Zink

Headcrab
Reaction score
I was playing a match on Dota 2, then my teammates were disconnecting from the match more frequently than usual. Normally the player has a disconnection and they get back on in about 1-2 minutes. This was not the case, instead the player was booted of the match and was coming back less than 30 seconds. My ping was 92 ms and I never got disconnected once but my teammates and the other team did. It was like a domino effect one teammate would disconnect when the other rejoined. I played the match out, then after the match I got disconnected from the Dota 2 server. I exited the game then restarted Dota 2 and nothing had changed. I was still disconnected from the server. I then went to try the browser and then the dreaded error -118 came up. I then figured out that Dota 2 was being DDoS'd, but not steam. I did notice that steam was DDoS'd for a 2 seconds but it stopped. The main issue is that Dota 2 is being DDoS'd. Please help and thank you for taking the time to read this.​

Well for me right now, Steam is down, including the client and the store

Hopefully they shut it down and nobody ever gets to play it again

It's not only dota2... There are many rummors of a group called 'Lizard Group' That had been doing DDoS to many gaming servers, including PlayStation Network, XboxLive, Blizzard... Dota2 Is still playable but sometimes i got 90% packet loss, nobody can play, server disconnects everyone and sometimes there's no reconnect button...

It's not only dota2... There are many rummors of a group called 'Lizard Group' That had been doing DDoS to many gaming servers, including PlayStation Network, XboxLive, Blizzard... Dota2 Is still playable but sometimes i got 90% packet loss, nobody can play, server disconnects everyone and sometimes there's no reconnect button...
This isn't the same event. This thread started half a year ago. At the current time the "Lizard Group" haven't targeted Valve at all.

What is up with that "Lizard Group"? Do they have any reasoning for a DDoS attack, or did someone just think it would be an absolute riot to clog up Sony and Microsoft?

Another attack also happened during the steam winter sales in 2013-2014, and it happened almost everyday. In February & March of 2014, they had attacked individual games and steam, but the attack happened here and there. However, I had no idea about the "lizard group". My only answer to this is Winter steam sales=DDoS attack=Steam Community disorder. I hope this winter can be handled a bit better than the last.

Back