Dead Space film revealed, games confirmed as a possible trilogy

Tollbooth Willie

The Freeman
Reaction score
Electronic Arts' Visceral Games made headlines last week for both losing two top executives and showing off its wares at Comic-con 2009 in San Diego. Today, the studio formerly known as EA Redwood Shores was in the news again, with Variety revealing a live-action film based on Dead Space is in the works.

Coming soon-ish to a theater near you...

The Hollywood trade reported that EA has partnered with Marty Bowen and Wyck Godfrey, the cofounders and heads of the Temple Hill production company. The outfit is also behind the forthcoming Gears of War movie, which is in development at Legendary Pictures and has director Len Wiseman (Underworld, Live Free or Die Hard) attached. It was also involved with the first film based on the popular teen vampire Twilight novels and the forthcoming Nicholas Sparks adaptation, Dear John.

Dead Space, too, has a director on board--D.J. Caruso, who was at the helm of last year's critically panned action-thriller Eagle Eye. Prior to that dubious project, he directed 2007's better reviewed Disturbia and several episodes of the acclaimed TV series The Shield.

No release date or actor information has been revealed for the Dead Space film, which is just one of five EA game-based movies in development. Mass Effect, Dante's Inferno, Army of Two, and The Sims are also being brought to the big screen. Also notably, Dead Space was made into a straight-to-DVD and cable animated feature prequel by Starz Media last year. Finally, the game's plot is reminiscent of several films, such as the horror-thrillers Alien (1979) and Event Horizon (1997).
Not sure how to feel about this. Never really seen Disturbia, but The Shield was a great series. Not getting hopes up on this still. Also Mass Effect and Army of Two? Huh? When the ****?

Today's article also appeared to reveal the future of the Dead Space game series. According to Variety, EA "is working on the second and third installments" in the Dead Space series, raising the possibility of a trilogy. However, as of press time, EA had not confirmed if the two projects include the already announced Dead Space: Extraction (see below) or the hinted-at Dead Space 2.
If the next few games are as good as the first outing then I'm all for it. Of course this is EA so its likely it will be milked like a whorebitch.

Finally, the game's plot is reminiscent of several films, such as the horror-thrillers Alien (1979) and Event Horizon (1997).

Exactly. It's gonna seem unorignal, even ignoring the fact that as a game - film adaptation it has a 99% chance of being shit already.

Shia LaBeouf confirmed for Isaac Clarke.
Rather than drop kicking and stomping his foot on the heads of infected fetus necromorphs with a raging "HUUAGH!" Shia will instead crawl away from them on his ass kicking wildly and screaming "NONONONO".

I liked Disturbia, and I liked Silent Hill which could mean horror games to film adaptions work, personally I don't know how they could muck up a Dead Space film, its basically Event Horizon anyway.

Sorta off-topic, but it's a shame the two top guys responsible for the original Dead Space defected to f*cking Activision, hopefully this won't mean that Dead Space 2/3 will be shittier.

Also, I liked Dead Space downfall.

Also, I wouldn't really call Dead Space for "Event Horizon" because

1. The "Artifact" is a manmade copy of the original.

2. As far as we know, the 'monsters' aren't coming from some alternate dimension outside the known universe that is likened to 'hell'.

If anything, I'd bloody say Event Horizon has more in common with Doom 3s storyline than Dead Space's.

Rather than drop kicking and stomping his foot on the heads of infected fetus necromorphs with a raging "HUUAGH!" Shia will instead crawl away from them on his ass kicking wildly and screaming "NONONONO".

So, so true.

What a surprise, EA made a good game and now it's time to milk it for everything it's got.

I want to see a Fallout movie based on the first two, not the third.

so how do you guys feel about Dead space for PC? I saw it cheap in a shop but I'm not sure if it's any good.

Warcraft movie oh shit.

LOS ANGELES, Calif. – July 22, 2009 -- Blizzard Entertainment, Inc. and Legendary Pictures announced today that Sam Raimi has signed on to direct the eagerly-anticipated major motion picture based on Blizzard Entertainment’s award-winning Warcraft® universe. Raimi has, in the course of his career, clearly demonstrated a genius for developing and adapting existing fictional universes for mainstream audiences while staying true to the spirit of the original content.

Raimi directed the Spider-Man trilogy, which has broken box-office records around the world and garnered five Academy Award® nominations. Known for his imaginative filmmaking style, richly drawn characters and offbeat humor, Raimi wrote and directed the cult classic, The Evil Dead and produced 30 Days Of Night. He most recently wrote and directed the supernatural thriller, Drag Me To Hell.

"At its core, Warcraft is a fantastic, action-packed story," said Raimi. "I am thrilled to work with such a dynamite production team to bring this project to the big screen."

Charles Roven’s producing talents were recently seen with last summer’s blockbuster The Dark Knight, which grossed in excess of $1 billion, was nominated for eight Academy Awards® and won two. His body of work also includes the widely acclaimed Batman Begins and the sci-fi classic 12 Monkeys. Roven, with Atlas producing partner Alex Gartner, will be producing with Legendary Pictures CEO Thomas Tull, Legendary’s Chief Creative Officer Jon Jashni, Raimi and Raimi’s producing partner Joshua Donen. Raimi’s partner, Robert Tapert, will be an Executive Producer and Blizzard Entertainment’s Senior Vice President of Creative Development, Chris Metzen, a Co-Producer.

"Partnering with Sam Raimi exemplifies Legendary's mandate of marrying the highest quality intellectual property to world-class filmmakers" said Legendary’s Tull. "Sam's passion for 'Warcraft' is undeniable and we know that he will create an incredible film worthy of Blizzard's phenomenal franchise. We look forward to collaborating with our partners at Warner Bros. and continuing our successful relationship with Chuck in bringing this rich new world to the screen."

"Blizzard Entertainment and Legendary Pictures have a shared vision for this film and we searched at length to find the very best director to bring that vision to life," said Paul Sams, chief operating officer of Blizzard Entertainment. "From our first conversation with Sam, we could tell he was the perfect choice. Sam knows how to simultaneously satisfy the enthusiasts and the mainstream audience that might be experiencing that content for the first time. We're looking forward to working with him to achieve that here."

"Blizzard Entertainment’s Warcraft has become a second home for millions of players and Sam’s experience and talent make him the perfect director for this remarkable and action-packed world," said Atlas’ Roven. "Alex and I are proud to be working with Sam and re-teaming with our friends at Legendary and Warner Bros."

The film will fall under Legendary Pictures’ co-production and co-financing deal with Warner Bros. "Warcraft is emblematic of the kind of branded, event films for which our studio is best known. We have enjoyed great success with our partners at Legendary, and this is an incredible opportunity for us to work with Sam on a project that is so eagerly anticipated by so many," said Jeff Robinov, President, Warner Bros. Pictures Group.

Blizzard Entertainment’s Warcraft universe is a rich fantasy setting that revolves around the epic conflict between the opposing forces of the Horde and the Alliance. Since its debut in 1994, Warcraft has developed a loyal following across the globe, with several bestselling, award-winning PC games and a range of popular licensed products including novels, action figures, apparel, comic books, board games, and more. World of Warcraft®, Blizzard Entertainment’s subscription-based massively multiplayer online role-playing game set in the Warcraft universe, is the most popular game of its kind in the world. Its most recent expansion, Wrath of the Lich King™, is the fastest-selling PC game of all time, with more than 2.8 million copies sold in its first 24 hours of availability and more than 4 million in its first month.

Further details about the upcoming Warcraft movie, including cast and targeted release date, will be revealed as development progresses.

http://www.blizzard.com/us/press/090721.html

I'm surprised no-one posted this yet.

How the **** are they going to make a Sims and WoW movie?

dark science/dark sci fi are always amazing in my book

A warcraft movie could be good considering warcraft has a pretty good story and characters but like nomad said how the fraq would a sims movie work.

I think I'm the only one in the world that found Dead Space to be ****ing boring as hell.

Video game movies always seem to fail. World of Warcraft will be some human, on a quest to.. save someone. Then theres a giant LOTR battle. The end.

Sims will be like a sitcom with no talking and 1+ hours long.

I think I'm the only one in the world that found Dead Space to be ****ing boring as hell.
I think I'm not the only one in the world who found your comment to be pointless and without any real contribution to the thread.

Get out.

Anyway, back on topic, I hope we get a Dead Space 2 fairly soon, like maybe end of 2010 or 2011!

Anyway, back on topic, I hope we get a Dead Space 2 fairly soon, like maybe end of 2010 or 2011!

I doubt it, considering Visceral Games is now working on Dante's Inferno which is supposed to come out next year. Still, I hope it will come out as soon as possible.

Don't know why people say HL2 is overrated, it didn't recieve the sort of publicity of the likes of Halo 3 or MGS 4 got. Not to mention it deserved every bit of its publicity.

And a sims movie? That makes zero sense.

I doubt it, considering Visceral Games is now working on Dante's Inferno which is supposed to come out next year. Still, I hope it will come out as soon as possible.

*cough*look at call of cuty WAW*cough*

Call Of Duty 5 wasn't made by the same team who made Call Of Duty 4 though.

Well, the film is probably going to be a mess, but I have hope for the game sequels. It'll be interesting to see how they can improve on the gameplay without just making more of the same. That'd just be too predictable.

Still, DS was sweet.

I'm with everyone here on the subject about the sims movie... And a mass effect movie? better not **** that shit up....

Back