Dexter Season 8 (tag spoilers)

Eejit

The Freeman
Reaction score
Continuing the tradition of a thread per season...

SO! Final season! Looking good so far.

So I was initially thinking that this English chick might be a serial killer trying to lure out the BHB, but that nice little twist shows she was actually in league with Harry - so I don't see a motive for her any more.

Actually
I'm thinking she's the one behind the new brain butcher, as in she's the one coercing other people to kill.

I considered that with the latest episode too, but then

What kind of convoluted motive does she have? Are her victims people who would fit Dex's code or something? Trying to get closer to him?

She probably wants to pit her "creations" against each other for sport.

Finally got to watch episode 2. Yeah, i'm not sure whats going on with that. Its shaping up to be a good season though. I'd be kind of let down if its a predictable twist though.

I got the feeling that most people would have had thoughts about Dr. Vogel being the 'Brain Surgeon' initially. If that's a hunch the writers intended us to feel then it makes sense it was something of a red herring to make her as "untrustworthy" to the viewer as she was in Dexter's view and give her an air of mystery. Unless they're double bluffing of course. In that case, though, I don't think Vogel turning out to be the killer would be a particularly interesting or moving plot line. In my view, the overwhelming reaction to that would be "Oh, so it is her then, okay" rather than anything of shock or lack of expectation.
Think the season's got great potential to be a good ride.

Keep in mind the potential uses for that character given this is meant to be the last season of Dexter. Adds another dimension to whether or not they may be the killer.

I'm worried for Deb now. I mean, it was one thing for Dex to be trying to help, but this lady is probably going to manipulate the shit out of her. She may be a psychopath herself. Also, Dex drugging her took me by surprise. She's going to be pissed as **** when she wakes up.[/quote]

Wild Speculation Time

~ Vogel was considering having Deb overdose on pills in her house in Ep3, and would have had Dex not handcuffed her - it had to look natural. Watch the scene where they bring Deb back to her house after the confession attempt - where Vogel looks when, how she reacts.
~ Vogel murdered Harry by making him OD on his medication to stop him from betraying Dexter to the police or telling Dexter to abandon the Code experiment. Same MO as she was going to do to Deb.

~ This will come out and shit will go down.

Wild Speculation Time

~ Vogel was considering having Deb overdose on pills in her house in Ep3, and would have had Dex not handcuffed her - it had to look natural. Watch the scene where they bring Deb back to her house after the confession attempt - where Vogel looks when, how she reacts.
~ Vogel murdered Harry by making him OD on his medication to stop him from betraying Dexter to the police or telling Dexter to abandon the Code experiment. Same MO as she was going to do to Deb.

~ This will come out and shit will go down.

That's a very good speculation. Almost wish I didn't read it.

Shit I didn't think this would be on till Sept or later.

edit: Caught up to Ep 4

Deb really going bipolar at the end there.

So...

Dexter taking on a disciple. Don't know if I like it. Also, preview of Hannah returning next Episode. They must be gearing up for the inevitable shit storm at the end because both of these things have the potential to blow up in Dexter and Vogel's faces at once.

Totally had forgotten about Hannah. Caught both me and my sister completely off guard. Should be an interesting episode tonight. Dex taking whats his face under his wing is lame, that story's been played before. Hopefully it doesn't last long. Theres a shitload of people who are aware of Dexter now though. Deb, Hannah, Vogel, the kid. Something's going to slip for sure.

Looks like shit's going to get crazier with Deb going batshit over Miranda Hannah. And Dexter being a neglectful teacher cost him a neighbor. I'm guessing Hannah's going to be his savior or downfall.

Looks like shit's going to get crazier with Deb going batshit over Miranda Hannah. And Dexter being a neglectful teacher cost him a neighbor. I'm guessing Hannah's going to be his savior or downfall.

Hannah is playing him. Probably married the "rich dude" (forgot his name) for the life insurance money. Obviously, with her history, she'll be the first investigated in his murder/disappearance. No worries though because she can easily attest for Dexter's motive to kill "rich dude" (i.e. jealous ex-boyfriend) and expose him for the killer he is with all that she knows about his previous murders. She'll be wanting to take a stab at him after what he did to her. The whole "you're the only one I could be honest to" is a ruse to manipulate Dexter.

Hannah will be Dexter's downfall.

Wouldn't be surprised, can't forget what she did to Debra and then lying about it. Debra has every right to be psycho in this case.

Next episode will be Deb vs Hannah. Don't know how it will play out, but I can see Deb taking out Hannah before she can do much to Dex. Though that in and of itself could be what gets both Deb and Dex into more trouble

Well, Zack's dead. Hannah obviously isn't the killer. Did the preview show Dexter sedating Vogul?

Well, Zack's dead. Hannah obviously isn't the killer. Did the preview show Dexter sedating Vogul?
Never for an instant thought Hannah was the killer. I avoid watching the previews because they spoil ****ing everything, so thanks for at least being ambiguous about it. Not that its surprising. Was pretty obvious the whole time it was Vogul. The dude they got before only killed women, and the Brain Surgeon killed dudes. Obviously Dex is going to figure it out now, how could he not? She is the last one Zack was with, she's the only one besides Deb and Hannah that knows Dex and Zack knew each other.

DM, are you still not sure that its Vogul? I mean, after Dex found Zack they showed Vogul holding the jar with the brain scoop...

She was holding the god damn brain scoop up and admiring it bro. I mean, it could be that it was another "gift" but she already found it when Dex calls? Its not 100% but its pretty freaking close.

One other thing though... how did the blood from Zack get on Cassie's body? The only person who had it out for Zack (besides crazy ass Brain Surgeon/Vogel who clearly didn't mind if he died), is Quinn. I mean, yeah Quinn wants the promotion and to solve his case, but it would be really out of character for him to kill some lady for it, and besides why would he have chosen Cassie? But there's so much evidence to say he did, like how the murder happened and the wounds received, and how he was trying to get Dex to agree that they were done by the same person.

I was having my doubts about it being a whole new character, it's kind of late in the game for that, so I guess she's the only one that makes sense.

But why would Vogel kill Zach Hamilton? After wanting him to learn the code and discouraging Dexter from killing him, it seems a bit strange she would waste him and for what? To send Dexter a message? Why would she want Dexter to know he'd got the wrong person and attract his suspicion?

What we know of Vogel is that she studies Psychopaths and has strange methods for rehabilitating them rather than having them be locked up or killed. Killing Zach would buck that trend quite massively.

As for the brain scoop, the look on her face wasn't of admiration, it seemed more like fear. Plus wasn't she on the phone, I'm assuming, trying to get hold of Dexter? The Brain Surgeon sent them to her doorstep, she never had to find them.

It would be pretty weird at this stage to have Vogel turn out to be The Brain Surgeon. But we'll see.

But why would Vogel kill Zach Hamilton? After wanting him to learn the code and discouraging Dexter from killing him, it seems a bit strange she would waste him and for what? To send Dexter a message? Why would she want Dexter to know he'd got the wrong person and attract his suspicion?

What we know of Vogel is that she studies Psychopaths and has strange methods for rehabilitating them rather than having them be locked up or killed. Killing Zach would buck that trend quite massively.

As for the brain scoop, the look on her face wasn't of admiration, it seemed more like fear. Plus wasn't she on the phone, I'm assuming, trying to get hold of Dexter? The Brain Surgeon sent them to her doorstep, she never had to find them.

It would be pretty weird at this stage to have Vogel turn out to be The Brain Surgeon. But we'll see.
She's playing some kind of game with Dex, I'm sure of it. When Hannah asked her how she got started studying at dinner, Vogel quickly changed topic saying its a "long story I don't want to bore you with." And Lyle Sussman certainly didn't seem surprised when she "found herself a hero" in Dexter. Maybe she's not the one doing the killing, but I'm sure she's not being truthful with Dex, and probably knows exactly who it is.

Maybe she's not the one doing the killing, but I'm sure she's not being truthful with Dex, and probably knows exactly who it is.
This I could believe. I mean, she has been continuing to study Dex throughout her time with him, she might be throwing in variables to see how he reacts and responds. If it's like a "This whole thing was a bit of an experiment" story then it would make a bit more sense.

From the looks of the preview(s), the final 3 episodes are going to be kicking it into very high gear. Excellent.

Knew The Brain Surgeon wouldn't be Vogel. Her son, though? Interesting. Seems like it's gonna be the Vogels VS. the Morgans now.

From the looks of the preview(s), the final 3 episodes are going to be kicking it into very high gear. Excellent.
I didn't watch them, but its good to know things will finally pick up for the ending. Me and my sister were just talking about how low-key this has been for a finale episode.

Just saw the episode prior to the last two. Things are certainly heating up for the final moments of the show.

Vogel's death was an obvious possibility, but it certainly ramps up the tension for the two remaining episodes. We have Clayton, Saxon, and Dexter (as well as Deb and Hannah, loose cannon she is) about to collide. Dexter is trying to straddle two worlds, and I predict a season 4-esque ending (they had similar themes).

Dangit Harrison.

Well I think it's true Dexter's weak point is trying to live both worlds. If he was around, he could have helped Harrison. It will be a complication when he's trying to take down psycho guy. I doubt he could've prevented Vogul's death either way.

I honestly feel like the series is going to end on a whimper. It started off good, but its gone way downhill as far as a season to give closure. It just doesn't feel like a special season, especially not a series finale. It feels like a normal filler season, as if they're going to make more after this. There's not really any tension. The only way for Dex to get caught as a serial will be if he royally ****s up, and if that happens it will feel forced and shoehorned in by lazy writers because there's no time left to create any buildup. There's nobody that's on his case for being a serial killer. At worst he's going to get caught for aiding and abeting Hannah.

Idunno, I feel like I will be disappointed witrh the way it ends. Last season would have been a phenominal way to end it. But they totally wrapped that up with basically no ill effects at all. I mean, LaGuerta's death and her investigation resulted in absolutely nothing.

His side hobby is blood spatter analysis for the police. I don't see him getting in trouble for that either :p

Just saw most recent ep, and the tension is still there for the final one. More than that, the aura of finality was brought home. Dexter's change as a person, revelations about himself, and how there's more at stake than just his life, helped with the sense that there's finality and no going back. He's on the precipice of a new beginning. No matter what happens.

Just saw most recent ep, and the tension is still there for the final one. More than that, the aura of finality was brought home. Dexter's change as a person, revelations about himself, and how there's more at stake than just his life, helped with the sense that there's finality and no going back. He's on the precipice of a new beginning. No matter what happens.
Eh, I feel a lot differently about it. I don't know if the tension and stress from last season threw my expectation out of whack, but he seems to be in the same spot as he's always in during normal seasons. It doesn't feel like anything unique is happening, everything is getting wrapped up the same way it has in every other season except for last year's. It honestly feels like the Dexter TV show is not supposed to end this season. Its got nothing of a "series ending" vibe going for me. I feel like I wouldn't even care if I just didn't even see the next and final episode, its just not at all thrilling to me.

It should have ended last season. THAT would have been an ending.

Yvonne Strahovski is hot.

But, even she's not enough to save this sinking ship.
Brace yourselves for what is likely going to be one of the worst series finales since BSG.

Eh, I feel a lot differently about it. I don't know if the tension and stress from last season threw my expectation out of whack, but he seems to be in the same spot as he's always in during normal seasons. It doesn't feel like anything unique is happening, everything is getting wrapped up the same way it has in every other season except for last year's. It honestly feels like the Dexter TV show is not supposed to end this season. Its got nothing of a "series ending" vibe going for me. I feel like I wouldn't even care if I just didn't even see the next and final episode, its just not at all thrilling to me.

It should have ended last season. THAT would have been an ending.

Well, I was definitely disappointed with the middle part of the season, since it was pretty tame at certain points. It actually made me wonder if they were playing it safe due to spin-off possibilities (rumors being what they were). I could be unpleasantly surprised, with the finale being prosaic enough to serve the sole purpose of paving the way for said spin-off. Or, even if there are no plans for such a thing, the show might still end on a dull note. It's definitely possible for Dexter to return to more or less status quo, if the right characters die. But yeah, if last season's finale was the final episode, I could have handled that. I tend to detest vague endings, though.

The ending was just...wha? Disappointment doesn't even begin to describe what I'm feeling right now.

Back