Did anyone notice this?

I

Ironfingers

Does anyone notice that the solder AI in the 600 meg video SUCK. Does anyone think that issue would be fixed when the game is released... (I hope so) :eek:

Weve already talked about this a few times in other threads, and we mainly concluded that the AI was actually turned off for part of that movie.

Valve wouldn't let the AI be that bad when they release the game.

The AI is excellent. Hopefully, they'll be even smarter once it's gold.

I believe he's referring to the little urban battle with Barney. In that scene, the soldier AI has been turned off, just for the sake of showing off other aspects of the game. However, in many other instances, the AI is turned on, and it shows. They're very cunning, if you watch some of the scenes.

-Vert

Originally posted by Ironfingers
Does anyone notice that the solder AI in the 600 meg video SUCK. Does anyone think that issue would be fixed when the game is released... (I hope so) :eek:

ugh has been discussed over and over and OVER. AI was wak there on purpose. They wouldnt move at all just to show off how the monsters would kill them n shit.

u tell me a game where someone can push a table up agaisnt a door, and the ai tries to get threw but cant, so he hammers the room with bullets from the windows, then goes back for the door, but harder, and kicks it open....adn u run up to find out its like an ambush...4-5 combines surround the room your in and start hammering it with rounds. u ****ing tell me

Originally posted by [Hunter]Ridic
u tell me a game where someone can push a table up agaisnt a door, and the ai tries to get threw but cant, so he hammers the room with bullets from the windows, then goes back for the door, but harder, and kicks it open.

2 guys, one shot the window and the other kicked the door!Even better.

One thing I'm wondering...was the one guy shooting the windows to suppress you while the other guy broke in? He was just trying to keep you from moving up the stairs, right?

-Vert

The part where the Soldier ai would just stad there and shoot you, and not take cover. Other then that. Pushing against the door, shooting though the window, Its all CLEVER.

u tell me a game where someone can push a table up agaisnt a door, and the ai tries to get threw but cant, so he hammers the room with bullets from the windows, then goes back for the door, uses the other solder as a battering ram.

:bounce:

What was he supposed to do when there are 5 people shooting at him and throwing grenades from different directions?

Originally posted by Vertigo
One thing I'm wondering...was the one guy shooting the windows to suppress you while the other guy broke in? He was just trying to keep you from moving up the stairs, right?

-Vert

I think the idea is just to pour fire into the room where the player is (so I don't think he was really aiming anywhere in praticular) and keep him pinned down or at least distracted while the other soldier kicks in the door. The guy who was playing no doubt knew exactly what was going to happen so he reacted quick to the door being kicked in but someone who didn't might have been focused on trying to shoot the guy through the window or perhaps they might be still standing in front of the door. Either way you probbly would have taken a lot more damage.

-Straylight

Originally posted by Vertigo
I believe he's referring to the little urban battle with Barney. In that scene, the soldier AI has been turned off, just for the sake of showing off other aspects of the game. However, in many other instances, the AI is turned on, and it shows. They're very cunning, if you watch some of the scenes.

-Vert
samething goes to the scene with da ant lions?

guys, what im wondering (yes i know the door kicking down of the door wasnt scripted) if the door kicking scene will be used as a regular routine in the game or as a "bearly ever" type, when it only happens like 3 or 4 times the entire game. i hope this can be used with EVERY door in the game, considering how it would scare the shit out of you! that would be great.

riight.. how you going to bust a crap in an iron plated doors? :x

The door kicking thing is not a pre-scripted, scene specific event. It is definately part of soldier AI. If you didn't close or block the door, they wouldn't have done it.

You think the door kicking thing was cool? How about the camera that comes in through the mail slot, sees you, retracts, and then something huge starts battering down the door! :)

The AI in the Barney scene was clearly turned off: the soldiers didn't even return fire or react to being shot when you came up behind them (actually, the ones on the barricade seemed to be making jerking off motions with their hands for some reason). But even if it wasn't their AI for "defend barricade" was pretty good: popping up and down to fire and then reload. They weren't supposed to run around at that point: they were supposed to hold a position and lay down supressing fire until the cavalry arrived.

you're all dumb.. in some of the videos.. the ai is on.. (the soldier kicking the door in.) .. in some they are off. ( a guy just standing there waiting for you to grenade him to help defend barney.) ...

what we do know: in hl2 there won't be any parts of the game with the ai off.. this was just off in some sections of the game to show the good guys ai better.

indeed.. but i think it would be fun if they showed a part twice. one with the opponents ai turned off and one with the opponents ai turned on. so we would really see the diffrence

Back