Difference between PRO and Normal

tuemmykids

Reaction score
Hi, i just signed up!!
I have a question. Im getting a Radeon 9800 (NON-PRO) 128 MB and i would like to know the difference between the PRO and non PRO version. I used to use nVidia cards so i have no idea with ATi stuff. Would be nice if u could tell me! :)

Get the non-pro, but you should wait until a week or so before HL2 comes out. The price will be much better then.

The big difference is the clock speeds ;0)
It's like Geforce's normal and titanium versions or like FX's normal and ultra versions

It's all in the clock speeds - the non Pro has lower clock speeds than the Pro version, which makes it less powerful. Sure, you can overclock (or attempt to) it to the Pro speeds, but what's to stop you from overclocking the Pro to even higher speeds? If you want the best, get the Pro. I'd recommend you get it over the non-pro, it costs a little more, but it's worth it.

Added: You also can't get the non-pro in 256mb memory.

oh well. i already ordered the non pro. it would have cost me €150 more to get the pro version. (Yes i live in germany, and yes i dont like where i live)

Ok, seeing as this is an appropriate thread I might as well ask a seperate question here. I'm a student [on a severe budget!] and looking at buying a new computer [almost entirely for HL2 ;) ]. I've seen a model at one of the sites I visit thats got good specs all round, what I'm looking for at a reasonable price. Thing is, it comes with a Radeon 9600 128MB. Now, this is probably a really idiotic question but around how long do you guys think such a card would last me in terms of gaming etc? I bought a Geforce2 MX400 not so long back, state of the art at the time but now its, well, obsolete ;) I'm just wondering how long this card would last a low budget student before sinking back into underpowered obscurity?

Cheers,
- Tommmo
:cheers:

Overclocking a nonpro requires a flash of the bios too...

The 9600 is actually already kinda old if your computer's primary task is gaming.
I would save some more cash to
buy a radeon 9700 non-pro instead..

Originally posted by 3DDuL
The 9600 is actually already kinda old
and if your computer's primary task is gaming.
I would save some more cash to
buy a radeon 9700 non-pro instead..

I'd recommend staying away from non-pros. The 9600 is old, yes, but the optimum choice would be to go for the 9500 Pro in that situation.

Originally posted by dawdler
Overclocking a nonpro requires a flash of the bios too...
How can i do that? Could it break my Card?
I used to have a GeForce 2 MX 400... it was ok fo HL. I mostly got 100 fps at 800 x 600.

Originally posted by Abom|nation
I'd recommend staying away from non-pros. The 9600 is old, yes, but the optimum choice would be to go for the 9500 Pro in that situation.

Abom|nation:I belive they've stopped makin those... :eek:
tuemmykids: It's really simple to overclock a graphics card. You download a program and start to change the speeds on the core and memory. The only way your card could be damaged is if clock too much without proper cooling.

The 9600 is actually already kinda old and if your computer's primary task is gaming I would save some more cash to buy a radeon 9700 non-pro instead..

The 9600 isn't old... WTF.

9600 is the middle of the road for ATi cards, it'll last as long as your preferences arn't exactly high. It's a DirectX9 card at that, so you'll definately be getting your money's worth since you can play not only Half-Life 2, but other games which will come out later on that support DirectX9 features. Don't be fooled by the people that think that if you can't play at 1600x1200 at atleast 60fps with everything on... it's not good enough... well sorry but some people (like me) can't even go past 1024x768 so I don't care.

The card is new, and ATi made it to fit the performance market. I myself have to cope with a Geforce 4 Ti 4200(which isn't that bad) before I get a better card. I'm aiming for a Radeon 9700 pro or Radeon 9800 pro because I want DirectX9 support, aswell as lots of speed. I definately won't move onto PCI Express... I'll stick to AGP 8x till games get too taxing and I require new hardware(more CPU power included)... which will take a while.

No company makes games for the exclusively for the enthusiast market, if they did they'd go bankrupt... you're safe man.

tuemmykids: It's really simple to overclock a graphics card. You download a program and start to change the speeds on the core and memory. The only way your card could be damaged is if clock too much without proper cooling.
Cool, thanks.
Originally posted by bonanzaguy
this thread really should be in the hardware forum... :/
Ya, i know but nobody ever looks there. I'd have to wait forever until somebody replies.

Apologies for extending an off topic thread...thanks for the comments guys, its difficult for me to go higher end of the graphics market at the moment. I'll see if I can stretch to a 9700, I'm just looking for a card with staying power that's not gonna be obsolete in a year.

Cheers again for help,
- Tommmo

Ah, so you deliberately posted in the wrong forum to serve your own ends? Nice.

I noticed that this thread [not posted by me] had the right subject area, just replied hoping to get some help from the experts who had already replied.

i have a mother****ing geforce 2 gts..

saving up for the 9700 in late sept.

I was in the store yesterday pricing out cards. I'm looking at getting a 9700 Pro instead of a 9800 which is just way to much for me to afford right now. Much cheaper and still a top performer. A quantum leap from my curent Hercules Geforce 2 Ultra

I'm looking at upgrading mine too.
I priced it out the other night and it would cost me upwards of about $1300. That's for a gig of DDR ram, a 2.3Ghz chip and a Radeon 9800 256mb Pro though. Going to talk to my friend who knows places to get deals and such soon.

Upgrades are fun but expensive lol.
:cheers:
Cheers!

The Radeon 9600 Pro is a good card and should serve your gaming needs for a while. It is not top of the line, but it is still very good for gaming. However, something like the 9700 Pro or the 9800 pro would be able to serve your game purposes for an even longer time and you'll be able to play current and upcoming games at higher graphic settings than the 9600 pro. Still, it is a very good card.

Anyway, the 9800 pro cards are very good. However, I would not suggest the 256mb version. It is better than the 128mb version, but not by that much. In my opinion, it is certainly NOT worth and extra 100$.

only difference is clock speeds...

If you are getting a 9800np(like i am tommorow) open each box up right in the store(as i do many times) and examine the card..

You want the 2.8ns memory or even 3.0ns memory if you have either of these two you will be able to flash the bios to a 9800pro and it will work guarunteed. Once you get like 3.1/3.3 or something your chances of getting 9800pro speeds are alot less likley.

(%95 of the time you cannot just overclock and reach 9800pro speeds because the RAM runs hotter and cannot handle it, By flashing the bios though you are upping the power that the card requires from the agp slot, and by doing this you can achieve higher memory speeds because the RAM runs cooler and can overclock ALOT more)

Originally posted by Tommmo
I bought a Geforce2 MX400 not so long back, state of the art at the time but now its, well, obsolete ;)

LoL the Geforce2 Mx400 was never state of the art, i should know i used to have one.:cheers:

Originally posted by Tommmo
its difficult for me to go higher end of the graphics market at the moment. I'll see if I can stretch to a 9700, I'm just looking for a card with staying power that's not gonna be obsolete in a year.

Cheers again for help,
- Tommmo

Tommmo, it may be difficult for u to get a good card (right away) that will actually last u a good while but its just MHO that it would be well worth the wait.

my friend has a 9700 PRO and hes considering getting a new card.. not cause he has money to throw around, but because even the 9700 PRO is quickly becoming obsolete..

we are afterall talking about a computer industry market.. and we all know how technology comes and goes so quick.. i think of it this way, save up, get the best hardware at the time and hopefully it lasts awhile.

this way of shopping has benefitted me.. so thats my advice to u, save up and get a kickass card.. u won't need to spend money in video for a while after that.

Question: If I get a 9800 pro 256mb, will it bottleneck my 2200+

it will require some higher core speeds, but i think you will get a good advantidge from it

Mmmm... i normally wait till games are considerably slow or dont work at all!

I still have my Geforce 3 ti powered computer from almost 3 years ago. And i havent had a game fail or not work at maxium settings and high resolution.

The day i fall into trouble is the day i upgrade.

Originally posted by coolUK007
Mmmm... i normally wait till games are considerably slow or dont work at all!

I still have my Geforce 3 ti powered computer from almost 3 years ago. And i havent had a game fail or not work at maxium settings and high resolution.

The day i fall into trouble is the day i upgrade.

i've heard that Doom3 susgested to be run by a GeForce4 TI or higher card for maximum performance... i also heard that the GeForce3 starts to slow down/stagger just a little when every setting/detail for Doom3 is set to max.. but don't worry coolUK007, ur card still should be good for awhile :)

Back