dm_agora

DvS

Reaction score
Hello.

I've been working on this map for about a month now, and although it doesn't seem like much compared to some other quality maps, I'd like to think I've come a long way.

It was inspired by the deathmatch genre in it's entirety although much of it comes from the quake family. It is built 100% with displacements, and there is not a single visible world brush in the entire level.

It features large asteroids on orbit around the map and smaller ones are floating inside it waiting to be grabbed. It's worth a mention that the small asteroids won't respawn until they've all been thrown off the map.

dm_agora0004.jpg

dm_agora0006.jpg

dm_agora0008.jpg

dm_agora0012.jpg

dm_agora0013.jpg

http://h l2world.com/kronok/maps/dm_agora.rar <- remove space

(if link doesn't work, it's because of word filters)

Thanks.

PS: there is an easter egg ;)

I love this idea, has anyone else made maps like this?

Very pretty :) What are your system specs?

I love your skybox, how did you make a 3d skybox with that texture?

Id love to get a starry night like that..

Nice dm level, looks very well put together.

genocide604 said:
I love your skybox, how did you make a 3d skybox with that texture?

Id love to get a starry night like that..

Nice dm level, looks very well put together.

The only thing in my 3d skybox are two rotating asteroids, the rest is a good old 2d skybox.

Very pretty What are your system specs?

2800 barton & radeon 9700 pro.. I can play it with full AA @ 1280x960, I resized the pictures to suit forums.

Anyone know of a server hosting it? I want to play it with some people.

Hey! are you the guy that made dm_tribute? Becaues it looks exactly friggn' the same. I kindda figure you are...because that is the same backround and everything. I must say, You know how to use your displacement maps. You've got a really good style to your maps. Keep em' comming.

On annother note....have you ever thought of making a displacement map tutorial? :D

(like a serious expert one)

Fender357 said:
Hey! are you the guy that made dm_tribute? Becaues it looks exactly friggn' the same. I kindda figure you are...because that is the same backround and everything. I must say, You know how to use your displacement maps. You've got a really good style to your maps. Keep em' comming.

No, the maker of dm_tribute played a beta of my map before even thinking of making his map.

So..beautiful...words cannot describe...should have sent... a poet...

I saw your map earlier sometime, looks really good...it is devious.dll isnt it?

Great work. I would want to have footraces on there or something.

How did you get your asteriods to respawn when they exited the map?

Thanks

DvS said:
No, the maker of dm_tribute played a beta of my map before even thinking of making his map.

Seriously? That guy's a jack ass. He completely copied your style. BOYCOT DM_TRIBUTE!!!!

Fender357 said:
Seriously? That guy's a jack ass. He completely copied your style. BOYCOT DM_TRIBUTE!!!!
"Get your idea by this map by any chance?" - some guy on dm_tribute's feedback linking to 'dm_platform' older name of agora
"Well the techniques i could use are perfectly shown in dm_platform from DvS ... but my map concept is completly different ..." - his reply

Great job, thats killer! I'm assuming that those are also custom textures, which I'll say are very, very nice. The part that amazes me the most is your texture alignment. Reminds me alot of Q3 DM for some reason, even though I despise it, you did a great job. Overall, totally stunning map! :thumbs:

that map is awsome you release it in time to enter it in the compitition

I would love to have a displacement tutorial from this chap. I have major respect for this work.

jmjneary said:
that map is awsome you release it in time to enter it in the compitition

Seeing as the deadline was 15 days ago, that could be a tad tricky.

My review:

Graphics/Style : 11/10 (i luv it)

FPS Rate: 9/10 (i get 98 all the time and i have AA on :D )

Placement of Weapons : 8/10 (not bad, but nothing special... )

Obstacles/Gameplay 8.5/10 ( the map could have some obstacles in the middle of the "roads" ; i'm not talking about stuff that can be picked with gravgun)

Overall: 9.1 :)

Excellent map. ;)

BTW, did you know that "agora" (the name of the map) means "now" in portuguese?
And I'm portuguese. :D

this is very impressive - kinda reminds me of Unreal Tournament

I wana know how you lined up thoes "roads". If you made it tiny peice by peice or just how you made them, they look really smooth.

TCfromBN said:
I wana know how you lined up thoes "roads". If you made it tiny peice by peice or just how you made them, they look really smooth.

It took three years, so ofcourse it's damn smooth.

Just kidding, the original brushes look nothing like those pictured, and they themselves were aligned perfectly before I began displacing.

Back