Do we have any wildlife left?

Reaction score
What with the influx of pretty vicious creatures on both land and sea in the form of antlions and leeches, does Earth have much animal wildlife left anymore? We certainly don't see any. The oceans certainly seem to have been infested with carnivorous leeches by the millions, and all the outside areas we've seen have had ant-lions swarming over everything that moves. Even White Forest had no wildlife in it ... and it's a forest.

Do we have anything left, do you think? What could survive?

We have birds and cats at least. I'd say we have, at the very least, lots of insects left. I don't think that our wildlife has been totally subplanted. I'd say there's a good bit left, we've only seen a small part of Earth.

as far as we know: Crows, Seagulls, Pigeons, Cats, Rats (removed from the game), Most insects are still around

Id guess there are still alot of animals around that werent shown in the game that still exist

You can still hear the rats if you listen carefully inside some City 17's buildings.

I expect the larger animals would be the most hard hit, they usually are when catastrophes strike. Things like insects and birds definitely survived. Anyway, wildlife tends to avoid humans. You're not likely to walk into a random bear when trekking through the forest and shooting teh alienz.

Big animals were probably almost entirely wiped out, they'd never be able to compete with headcrabs and, in particular, antlion swarms would overwhelm them no matter how strong.

Although, I could see mountainous areas supporting life because the antlions wouldn't be able to burrow the stone easily and headcrabs would be few in far between.

Most animals living in water below 1000 m probably survived. None of the aliens we have seen are even remotely capable of surviving under such pressure, and ichtyosaurs clearly also need light (also, we have no indication there is water that deep on Xen or other places). Some remote islands may have kept their wildlife population.

Also, in my opinion, komodo dragons are probably the only big animals that could actually fight and win against most xenofauna (except antlions, of course).

However, it's very likely that a large quantity of small animals survived.

Oh, and by the way, doesn't some of the textures in the game confirm the survival of seashells?

Armored sea life likely didn't suffer much, the leeches most likely can't bite through them.

I'd imagine many carnivorous animals survived; bears for example

There's crows, pigeons, and seagulls, if you've noticed.
And of course that cat....

I'd imagine many carnivorous animals survived; bears for example

I doubt that. Bears are worse at defending themselves than, say, Bison, and if bison got wiped out (which we don't know if they are, we haven't seen much of North America to be honest, and European and Caucasus bison were extinct or nearly extinct before the resonance cascade), then bears probably got too. Though there is a chance that polar bears survived, since those areas just aren't very interesting to, in particular, antlions (easily the most efficient alien wildlife in killing things). But I'm fairly sure that all other kind of bears died. Big animals react very poorly to change.

Large animals living in regions unsuitable for antlions are probably fine. So mountain lions, some bears, anything living in boggy areas etc.
The sea leeches don't seem to be present in fresh water bodies in HL2, though this could be more of a game mechanic than an indication that they need to live in salt water.

I doubt that.

Yeah sorry about that, I had a dumb sandwich for lunch. What I was meant to say was that the creatures that can adapt to the new environment will ultimately live, whilst others will eventually become extinct.
I guess if Valve were to ever make a RPG, they would hire a few biologists to draw out Xen/Earth creatures ability to survive

Elephants and Giraffes can defend against attacks from Lions and Cheetahs, which are faster and probably stronger than Antlions.

Now if Gargantuas got into Africa, stuffs gettin killed, fast.

Man, I get sad when I remember older threads from users who have spent so long writing reports on this subject, and then see new people struggling again. Poor whales, they were having a hard time enough putting up with the humans, and now them leeches got 'em extincteded.

What about sharks? Do you think they can survive the leeches? I guess it depends on whether leeches are as dangerous as they were in HL1 or HL2.

I'm guessing that higher alltitude animals, and animals in remote locations would not be safe for the time being.

Back