Do you change your music style depending on what season it is?

Reaction score
I've noticed that I change what kind of music I listen to when it's summer and when it's winter. It Probably has to do with the huge difference in seasons we experience up here, it goes from being 30C in the summer to a 20C below in just a couple of month, not to mention the lack of sunshine in the winter. Everything is dark (and people committing suicide) so no wonder you got some mood swings.

I've noticed that I listen to a lot of -tech music (techhouse, techno etc), ambient and stuff like that in the summer and a lot of happy chiptunes in the winter. It's pretty common that people are down when it's winter, so I guess I need something uberhappy (thanks TF2 for using ?ber again) to keep me going.

Do you feel the same? The darkness is slowly approaching, so I've already started with my chiptunes :)

As a bonus, have a piece of Trentemoller... on the house:

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAQWpTIjusY[/youtube]

I only listen to a few artists primarily, and discover a new one or "rediscover" an existing one seemingly at random.

Seasonality just changes the way I look at the same music I listen to all year round.

For example, when I listen to Immortal (metal band who write songs about snow and winter) in the winter, I take the music as inspiration to marvel at the beauty of the season. When I listen in summer, I use it in an escapist sense and maybe with a hint of defiance at the wearying heat; I think about how the hot weather is evanescent, vague thoughts about the cyclical nature of everything, the idea of timelessness (specifically in relation to the timelessness of winter, but timelessness in general by extension).

I guess I listen to music either to revel or be reassured, but often the same music can be bent to both purposes. And no season stops me listening to metal of some form or other.

I only listen to a few artists primarily, and discover a new one or "rediscover" an existing one seemingly at random.

Pretty much.

My music tastes don't really change. I'll listen to any of my artists at any time and somehow my brain will work it all out on its own so it "fits". Sometimes I'll view songs in a different way depending on the environment, but that's it.

It really used to bug me, because there were often times back in the day where I'd play something amidst my mates and they'd say "No, man! We need some summer music!" and I'd say "What the ****, what's summer music? It's not like this is winter music. What are you on about?".

The only seasonal song I have is "Happy Christmas (War is Over) by John Lennon, that can only be listened to during winter

Well I can sorta relate, on rainy days I like to listen to more atmospheric music like Skinny Puppy, or any moody music, like Mansons's Mechanical Animals album.

Back