Do you ever "jump" when falling asleep?

Xendance

Tank
Reaction score
The general consensus among researchers is that, as your muscles begin to slack and go into a restful state just as you are falling asleep; your brain senses these relaxation signals and misinterprets them, thinking you are falling down.

http://www.byedr.com/Other/870-2-general-3.html

This explains why I sometimes dream of falling off a cliff, or down some stairs and then all of a sudden I jump and wake up.

Weird feeling, but still awesome.

How about you?

I've done that before. Trying to fall asleep and when I'm almost there my muscles twitch and wake me up! bah
I don't get those falling dreams anymore though...

Yeah I get them quite often, I think most people do.

I've done that before. Trying to fall asleep and when I'm almost there my muscles twitch and wake me up! bah
I don't get those falling dreams anymore though...

Yeah, it's annoying.

I used to have falling dreams but haven't for a long time now.

I often twitch as I'm falling asleep.

However, the most epic experience was shortly before last Christmas when I found my dream so funny that I woke myself laughing, and my girlfriend too. ****in brilliant, my subconcious is a funny ****.

I usually do that when im really tired at work or at a place where I shouldnt be asleep

Yeah, I often find myself waking up in an effort not to fall out of my bed, which of course only is a twist of sensations by my mind.
But actually I find them quite funny, I once decided to live through it again, so I just went back to sleep and tried concentrating on my balance organ, and after a while i actually managed to outwit it myself, again feeling the sensation of gravity turning by 90? degrees around my bed, almost knocking me to the ground next to me.

I also sometimes have dreams of falling down stairs, they are the most horrible one can imagine.
I usually wake up in the right moment because I simply realize "oh shi- this is gonna hurt!" and am spared the horrors of losing grip on a stairwell.

I heard the twitching was because relaxation causes your brain to think you're dying. It's what's known as a Myoclonic jerk
EDIT: By the way, I'm not clever, I just knew this because I watch House, and we all know it's never lupus.

I think i get it worse than most people, sometimes when it happens, i literally jump out of the seat

They are embarrassing too, sometimes i doze off in class and when those happen everyone looks at you and thinks you are weird.

My mom has a funny story about those:

This was a while back before her and my dad got married. She was riding in the car with my dad and his parents. She was falling asleep and woke up with a jump, so everyone in the car looks at her, so she says "Every time i fall asleep i wake up with a jerk."

She didnt mean it like that though.

I fell asleep one day in class, and had a leg spasm and kicked, tripping one of the girls walking by me. I laughed REAL hard.

I think i get it worse than most people, sometimes when it happens, i literally jump out of the seat

I've had that before aswell

I do it sometimes when I'm going to sleep. a small falling dream, then I jump awake. Sometimes it's cool, but sometimes it's just annoying.

I've not had that happen for a while but it used to always happen when I was young. I think most people get it when they're younger. That's what it sounds like after reading previous posts, anyways!

I do this almost every night. It SUCKS. I sleep on my side sometimes and this is when it happens most. I've been known to scare the shit out of people with it.

Also it often happens because I have dreams of walking down stairs and tripping on the last one. Then I "jump".

You hate what: this discussion or jumping when you get to sleep? :p

Happens every night for me. But I sleep in a bunk bed so I whack my head everytime. Ouch.

This happened to me once when I was small and prolly had a terrible nightmare because all I remember is "jumping" up all sweaty. Doesn't happen anymore, but every now and then while falling asleep I get a sensation of falling and I almost "jump" but sort of regain consciousness before I do.

I do this almost every night. It SUCKS. I sleep on my side sometimes and this is when it happens most. I've been known to scare the shit out of people with it.

Also it often happens because I have dreams of walking down stairs and tripping on the last one. Then I "jump".

That's right, just like me.

We are so alike, Phobie. Shame you don't ever speak to me anymore.

Oh my god. I get that all the time, even if I just try and fall asleep on your computer chair.

That's right, just like me.

We are so alike, Phobie. Shame you don't ever speak to me anymore.
Are you a scary stalker?

"We have so much in common, Phobie. After all, you should know. You saw a lot of me before you finally betrayed me. It's a shame we don't talk to each other any more. The only contact I get with you now is through my scope. I watched you today, Phobie, and you never even noticed me. I could have killed you today, Phobie, do you know that...?"

Are you a scary stalker?

"We have so much in common, Phobie. After all, you should know. You saw a lot of me before you finally betrayed me. It's a shame we don't talk to each other any more. The only contact I get with you now is through my scope. I watched you today, Phobie, and you never even noticed me. I could have killed you today, Phobie, do you know that...?"
Sounds like something you've experience doing, Sulk.

Only happens when I'm at school. I'll be half asleep and suddenly WHA-BAM I jerk and sit straight up in my chair.

Embarassingly hilariously penisly awesomely awesome.

Is that something I can get a BA in?
You can but it isn't well-regarded by employers. They see it as too new, like media studies, a doss subject. Unfortunately on-the-job experience is far preferable to a bland degree from a crap place that everyone and his dog will regard as a 'soft option'. My advice is to try and arrange work experience positions during summer holidays or something. The more hands-on history you have, the more attractive you will be.

Sulkdodds said:
You can but it isn't well-regarded by employers. They see it as too new, like media studies, a doss subject. Unfortunately on-the-job experience is far preferable to a bland degree from a crap place that everyone and his dog will regard as a 'soft option'. My advice is to try and arrange work experience positions during summer holidays or something. The more hands-on history you have, the more attractive you will be.
Good thing I'm majoring in English then.
unawesome.gif

Pesmerga said:
And we all know how ugly Viperidae is.
unawesome.gif

Occasionally I'll get it, usually if I'm falling asleep in class.

Sometimes I'll dream that someone is punching me through the stomach, as in, taking their fist and pushing it through my stomach. It's really painful and sometimes wakes me up.

I usually get this whenever I doze off in class, it's somewhat embarrassing.
I end up acting like I'm yawning or itching myself.

Yes. They're disturbing. When I was much younger I used to think I was levitating in my sleep...

Muscle spasms, pfft

All the time. I think I might have sleep apneia or something. :(

All th damn time, either that or I twitch. But I'm told that's just stress though.

Back