Do you play pub games, or only with friends?

Do you play pub games, or do you only play with friends?

• Pub games plz

Votes: 5 27.8%
  • I play with anyone

Votes: 13 72.2%

• Total voters

Frits

Hunter
Reaction score
After more than a year of L4D, most players can be labeled as either experienced or new (as even L4D1 still seems to attract new players). By now, most tricks are more or less known; IME, playing the game can even elicit warm, cozy feelings because we've visited that airport, hospital, or whatever, so often it starts feeling like our very own living room. ;)

However, after all that time I find pub games more and more frustrating. I play Versus mostly, and often hit 'Quick connect' so I can jump straight into the action. Recently however, I've encountered quite some teams that don't play very well, and after some time seeing X or Y getting achievement Z confirms my idea that I've just been playing with brand new, inexperienced players. Which isn't bad per se, but when you yourself are ready to fend off the more known Versus tricks and the rest of your team falls prey to what's been repeated for dozens of times now, I get kinda disappointed.

The other situation would be that you yourself are in a good team but the other team doesn't play as well, resulting in ragequit after ragequit. Having to wait for new players each round isn't very motivating as well.

So my question is: do you guys play with friends only, so you know you'll be in a game with people that have a more or less compatible playing style? Or do you play pub games as well? Also: is this a 'problem' only L4D1, with its more static gameplay mechanics and level designs, has to cope with? Does L4D2 play differently?

I only play Left 4 Dead 2 with bots because joining a public match with people you don't know is just completely suicidal. There are only a few times where you'll end up with a good and experienced team that will help you if you are injured or under attack which, as I said before, is pretty rare, in my opinion. You really do need to play with friends. There's just this type of connection that makes you go, "I need to help out my friend so we can get through this," whereas when you're in a public match, you just don't feel that same connection. You don't even know the people that you are randomly teamed up with, so you don't get the same feeling. That's just me, though, so don't just take my word for it.

I only play Left 4 Dead 2 with bots because joining a public match with people you don't know is just completely suicidal. There are only a few times where you'll end up with a good and experienced team that will help you if you are injured or under attack which, as I said before, is pretty rare, in my opinion. You really do need to play with friends. There's just this type of connection that makes you go, "I need to help out my friend so we can get through this," whereas when you're in a public match, you just don't feel that same connection. You don't even know the people that you are randomly teamed up with, so you don't get the same feeling. That's just me, though, so don't just take my word for it.
You can get that feeling with pubs sometimes. It's rare, but it happens.

I wanted to get the "Bridge Under Trebled Slaughters" achievement (run the finale of The Parish in under 3 minutes) and I couldn't do it by myself ... bots run too slow, and without someone to watch my back I can't get through the hunters, jockeys and the Tank. So I started a public lobby, and said to the people coming in what I wanted to do. A couple of people stayed and were like "yeah let's do this" ... and it took a few tries, but when we did it, it felt very good.

When you do find people who you click with, add them to your friends list. Then you build up pubs who you can play with.

Just had a few good pub games. Was a great laugh, even if neither team was great.

Sometimes though pub games can be such a drag, where you're constantly helping people or telling them where to go etc.

Even if you play with your friends in Team vs, theres no garentee the other team will be any good. Me and my friends often see the other team rage after a single round, even before they play survivors to find out if they do just as good as us, simply because we did well.

When you do find good teams though, the game is awesome :D

When you do find good teams though, the game is awesome :D
Does that happen often to you? I mean, I have had lots of good pub matches, but lately... things seem to go downhill...

Also, did I just give you guys 2 poll options that basically boil down to the same? 'Play pub' or 'Play with anyone'? :LOL:

I had lots of fun in public games during Left 4 Dead. For the majority of the time I had no real problems, though obviously you have to come across idiots every now and again like in any game.

So far in L4D2... well, I haven't played it as much as I'd like to have yet and that's because of a disappointing first few games with idiots or people that either don't talk or talk too much and don't listen. I love the game and I'm going to get back into it soon, but my experience is very different from that of L4D.

If I have to constantly yell to people to kill the specials at the very start of the bridge on the Parish finale I'm going to scream. Jesus christ people, how hard can it ****ing be to understand that one or two of them spawn behind us as soon as we're onto the bridge. Learn, LEARN!

Only with friends. And your poll doesn't give me much of a choice...

I play pubs because I dont have any gaming friends, and my online gaming friends live in different time zones.

Friends. Only.

Can't stand it when there's even one person I don't know at least semi-well.

No, actually that's not it. Most probably Darkedge34 can't properly handle the somewhat snarky remark I made at him in an other topic, so he searched for all my posts - et voila: I appear to have created a poll.

The guy has 'Troll' written all over himself, so in fact I wonder if he'll even make it to post 370 without being banned.

No, actually that's not it. Most probably Darkedge34 can't properly handle the somewhat snarky remark I made at him in an other topic, so he searched for all my posts - et voila: I appear to have created a poll.

The guy has 'Troll' written all over himself, so in fact I wonder if he'll even make it to post 370 without being banned.

What remark? How am I a troll?

darkedge is probably the worst human

I prefer to play with friends but like the OP said if you play enough pub matches you'll eventually find a team that actually doesn't suck balls and it's fun.

I prefer playing with friends in all games, this one especially so because you really need to be switched on and communicating to have half a shot.

Pubs are pretty terrible as a rule of thumb but I have been in some good teams.

Back