DoD:S Weapons problem

Firkat54

Reaction score
Hey, I haven't been here in a while and I've kinda lost my knowledge of Hammer, so please ignore my stupidity.

I compliled a test map for DoD:S with a single flag and all the capture entities etc. but, when I spawn I have no weapons and if I look down a pistol and a grenade are half burried in the ground. I've tried lowering the ground beneath the origin, and raising the spawn points. I've looked at the example maps and can't figure out what's going on. Thanks for your time! :)

P.S. This is my first DoD:S map, but not my first Source map.

lol wtf...i dont map for dods...but ima take a guess..do you have like an entity on the map that makes u not spawn with weapons? or makes it so you cant pickup/drop immediatly? just a guess..but maybe its right?

I only have the point control stuff, one capture point and spawns. I started over from scratch and now I don't have that problem anymore. However, in the displacement editing window I can't use the smoothing brush anymore.

Is my installation wacked? I've had to re-install once because of Hammer crashing and faces showing up out of nowhere (only with DoD:S), and I still get it. Anyone know what's going on?

[EDIT] Nevermind, I fixed this one too. It was because when I was using the smoothing tool, I had more than one face selected. Instead I had the entire brush selected. I guess this post was a total waste, sorry about that.

It sounds like the guns are being placed on you but missing and hitting the ground instead... I'd move the spawn points somewhere else, possibly recreate them, check the properties of my info_doddetect.

The smoothing tool requires a pretty big radius to be effective, for obvious reasons. For XTREME SMOOTHING, just uncheck the Spatial box.

I've used the smoothing tool before, it was having no effect at all. I'm not sure what was wrong, because now that I've started over, everything seems to be fine. Just before I started over it gave me an error about reading from line -1, and I'm guessing that has something to do with it. I know from C++ and Turing languages a -1 in a file read means that the pointer was trying to read past the end of the file so I think that the save was most likely corrupt. Not sure what Hammer uses or if it even matters, but I'll stick with that analysis :imu:

Anyway, thanks for the help guys. Everything is working fine now. :p

-Bump-

I have a new problem (I didn't want to ba a spammer and start a new topic) when I try to compile it gives me this error.

Code:
** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\games\steam\steamapps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk\bin\vbsp.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files\Games\Steam\SteamApps\h3llk4t\day of defeat source\dod" "C:\Program Files\Games\Steam\SteamApps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk_content\dod\mapsrc\dod_bastone_b1"

Valve Software - vbsp.exe (Jan  2 2006)
1 threads
materialPath: C:\Program Files\Games\Steam\SteamApps\h3llk4t\day of defeat source\dod\materials
Loading C:\Program Files\Games\Steam\SteamApps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk_content\dod\mapsrc\dod_bastone_b1.vmf
fixing up env_cubemap materials on brush sides...
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (0)
ProcessBlock_Thread: 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10 (1)
Processing areas...done (0)
Building Faces...done (0)
Chop Details...done (0)
Find Visible Detail Sides...done (0)
Merging details...done (0)
FixTjuncs...
PruneNodes...
WriteBSP...
done (0)
writing C:\Program Files\Games\Steam\SteamApps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk_content\dod\mapsrc\dod_bastone_b1.prt...done (0)
Creating default cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_borealis01*.vmt
Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.

No such variable "$hdrbasetexture" for material "skybox/sky_borealis01rt"
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_borealis01 to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Face List Count >= OVERLAY_BSP_FACE_COUNT

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\games\steam\steamapps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk\bin\vvis.exe"
** Parameters: -game "C:\Program Files\Games\Steam\SteamApps\h3llk4t\day of defeat source\dod" "C:\Program Files\Games\Steam\SteamApps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk_content\dod\mapsrc\dod_bastone_b1"

Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jan  2 2006)
1 threads
reading c:\program files\games\steam\steamapps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk_content\dod\mapsrc\dod_bastone_b1.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\games\steam\steamapps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk_content\dod\mapsrc\dod_bastone_b1.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: "c:\program files\games\steam\steamapps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk\bin\vrad.exe"
** Parameters:  -game "C:\Program Files\Games\Steam\SteamApps\h3llk4t\day of defeat source\dod" "C:\Program Files\Games\Steam\SteamApps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk_content\dod\mapsrc\dod_bastone_b1"

Valve Software - vrad.exe SSE (Jan 16 2006)
----- Radiosity Simulator ----
1 threads
[Reading texlights from 'lights.rad']
[39 texlights parsed from 'lights.rad']

Loading c:\program files\games\steam\steamapps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk_content\dod\mapsrc\dod_bastone_b1.bsp
Error opening c:\program files\games\steam\steamapps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk_content\dod\mapsrc\dod_bastone_b1.bsp

** Executing...
** Command: Copy File
** Parameters: "C:\Program Files\Games\Steam\SteamApps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk_content\dod\mapsrc\dod_bastone_b1.bsp" "c:\program files\games\steam\steamapps\h3llk4t\day of defeat source\dod\maps\dod_bastone_b1.bsp"

The command failed. Windows reported the error:
  "The system cannot find the file specified."

I can't figure out why. Before I got this I was getting an error like this;

Code:
FindPortalSide: Couldn't find a good match for which brush to assign to a portal near (148.2, 52.0, -8.4)
Leaf 0 contents: CONTENTS_SOLID 
Leaf 1 contents: 
viscontents (node 0 contents ^ node 1 contents): CONTENTS_SOLID 
This means that none of the brushes in leaf 0 or 1 that touches the portal has CONTENTS_SOLID 
Check for a huge brush enclosing the coordinates above that has contents CONTENTS_SOLID 
Candidate brush IDs: Brush 100211: 

Creating default cubemaps for env_cubemap using skybox materials:
skybox/sky_borealis01*.vmt
Run buildcubemaps in the engine to get the correct cube maps.

No such variable "$hdrbasetexture" for material "skybox/sky_borealis01rt"
Can't load skybox file skybox/sky_borealis01 to build the default cubemap!
Finding displacement neighbors...
Finding lightmap sample positions...
Displacement Alpha : 0...1...2...3...4...5...6...7...8...9...10
Valve Software - vvis.exe (Jan  2 2006)
1 threads
reading c:\program files\games\steam\steamapps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk_content\dod\mapsrc\dod_bastone_b1.bsp
Loading c:\program files\games\steam\steamapps\h3llk4t\sourcesdk_content\dod\mapsrc\dod_bastone_b1.bsp
The command failed. Windows reported the error:
  "The system cannot find the file specified."
This is driving me nuts! Can someone please help me?

There's an overlay in your map spanning more than 64 polygons total. "Polygons" here refers to the individual triangles after face splitting is performed, so the problem could be a massive overlay or unoptimised geometry, or both.

Thanks! That helped a lot. I had another problem too that never showed up in the logs where a brush was causing a memory read error. I've fixed this, but I'm curious of how it happened.

Anyway, thanks for the help.

Back