Doom3 vs HL2

M

Mamu

well I think this image says it all :p

game_933.gif

Yeah, I gave that link in HL2 chan :).
It even made the topic lol

Yea i saw it in #halflife2 aswell..... damn funny though! :D

Well on these fourms we all agree with that cartoon but to be fair you really can't know who will win the Doom III vs Half-Life 2 (and even vs Halo 2) fight until they are all released.

-Straylight

I think Doom3's goal as a game is slightly different than HL2. I'm just hoping it is fun to play. I expect it to be a mow-em down game fare.

Im sure its been said, and its going to be said on this post soon, but Doom3 is a game being made just to sell the engine.

Roger that, a glorified tech demo

Battel will be between HL2 + Halo 2 (in my books anyhoo :))

hahaaha! that's great :D

but I agree that we really can tell yet...I think the two games have slightly different goals they try to achieve...

but anyhow HL2 is the winner in my eyes so far...but that's mainly has something to do with D3 just contineuing the same old story...that ID has been pulling thru Doom, Doom2, Doom3 and Quake....crazy scientist are exerimenting with time/dimensions travel and opens the hell gate....

I liked the stuff ID have made, and you've gotta give them props for setting of this whole fps genre....but they just haven't brought that many new features(besides graphics) to the market....take a look at the weapons thru most of their games(except for commander keen) they're basically the same...and not at all creative....

honestly... doom3 will have slightly better graphics than HL2 ?
and im very sure doom3 will scare you more than HL2...

Still I think HL2 will win overall...

but yea who knows :p

:cheers:

Originally posted by Deviant
Im sure its been said, and its going to be said on this post soon, but Doom3 is a game being made just to sell the engine.

yep

Ive said it a few times and im going to say it again :

Its not about Doom3 vs HL2, its about Q4 vs HL2

One thing is for sure: id is not happy at all right at this moment.

Doom 3 vs Half Life 2 vs Halo 2

I don't have an Xbox, scratch Halo 2... for another five years

Doom 3's engine looks nice, the game could be ok, scary!!! But to tell truth I wanna see more of 'what the engine can do' vs what the engine looks like. OOOOOOOOOH ITS PRETTY but meh...

*alternative ending*

*POW*POW* HL2 wins...

Scary? What so scary about that game? That monsters jump out of shadows? After 10 minutes of play you won't be scared by monsters at all. You know, the most scary horror movies are not the once with bunch of bloody monsters running around.

If you want truly play a scary game, try System Shock 2, after that game I thought Resident Evil\any other horror games were a joke.

Originally posted by Mr.Reak
Scary? What so scary about that game? That monsters jump out of shadows? After 10 minutes of play you won't be scared by monsters at all. You know, the most scary horror movies are not the once with bunch of bloody monsters running around.

If you want truly play a scary game, try System Shock 2, after that game I thought Resident Evil\any other horror games were a joke.

The bloody monsters are not scary .. the invisible ones are!

Originally posted by LoneDeranger
The bloody monsters are not scary .. the invisible ones are!

As I said, after 10 minutes of gameplay, they won't be scary anymore, because you know that someone will jump out the shadow.

I'm very touchy about that sort of thing, a dark hallway is enough for me :p

Like that time I hired Resident 2 and Micro Machines V3. Got up to the police station and just played Micro for rest of night.

On another note Micro Machines RULE :afro:

yeah...

The thing that bothers me most about Doom III is the hints of serious limits due to the insaine graphics (Lets face it they look better then HL2.) Like I heard somewhere that multiplayer would have a max of four players and that outdoor enviroments or even large indoor spaces strained any reasonable computer too heavily.

I know Halo 2 might not even come to PC, but it's the only other FPS I know about that you could even put in the same catagory as Doom III and HL2 in terms of the expectations people have for it.

And as for scarry... well I found Half-Life quite tense. Headcrabs and barnicles seem designed to scare the hell out of you and the first I fell into that pool with the water monster thing before I'de seen it... remember that sound it makes?

-Straylight

Well, guess it is me, I am so weird :) I didn't find anything scary in HL either :)

Yes Doom III has better graphics, no doubt in it... Ah hell, who cares, I will get both games anyway, plus Deus Ex 2. Also Thief III, yeah...

As said above scary is something like creeping around the cargo hold in System Shock 2 trying to avoid the androids and spiders whilst reading the ongong horror on the datapads -- or playing the later parts of the marine levels in AvP2 while listening to the motion tracker ...

[*dit dit dit dit* *PING* *Ping Ping pingpingpingpingpingpinpinpipipippp* *aaaeeeeyyyaarrraargghhhh* ]

Doom3 looks to have too much action for the horror to really take hold -- each introduction of a monster will be a huge set piece that's probably well telegraphed beforehand.

Oh yeah, AvP 2.. Forgot about that game.. Yeah, that radar drove me mad :) I played that game only at night, without lights :)

Halo 2?

Umm... honestly, i don't think Halo 2 should even come into play as a competitor for outdoing HL2. I mean, i'm sure it turned a lot of heads in it's first release and acquired a number of fans... but the potential fanbase for HL2 is so much larger. Heck, i'm sure the current HL2 fanbase is larger than the potential fan base for Halo 2. HL2 will provide so much more versatility and flexibility for modding and whatnot... Halo 2 will not have that same kind of flexibility since it will be on a console. Granted, downloadable levels WILL be available, only SO many of the people who purchase Halo 2 will play it online since it needs to be played through X Box Live, because not EVERY halo 2 or X Box owner is going to buy Live.

I can't think why id would be upset by HL2. In FPS terms, they are like apples and oranges.

If HL2 was not coming out though, only a fairly small proportion of PC gamers would upgrade their rigs, solely for the sake of playing Doom3. Doom3 sales would therefore be fairly low. A larger portion of PC gamers however, would probably upgrade their machines in order to play both HL2 and Doom 3. Doom3 sales will therefore likely be higher because of HL2 coming out than they would be, otherwise...

I suspect that Doom3 will have a basic horror/survival gameplay, fueled by incredible graphics/sound effects. HL2 on the other hand, seems to be blessed with innovative gameplay as well as an exciting engine... Personally, I'm looking forward to both and (as long as they aren't released at the same time,) I'll be playing through each of them as soon as I get home!

:cheers:

Personally, I think HL2 looks a whoooole lot better than D3. But that's just me I guess, the Doom engine is waaaay more advanced in terms of polygon count and textures... kind of, that light beaming over the ground-crawling thingee looked kinda... well crap. HL2 is lower on polys and higher on everything else that matters. Bump-mapping has been used better than any other game EVAR. Look at the walls! The light shines off every individual panel/brick perfectly and it's just one flat freakin polygon!!! Water too... cept I've seen waves somewhere so eh.

Anyway point being HL2 owns k peace out

On another note Micro Machines RULE :afro:

yeah... [/B][/QUOTE]

your right mon!

Micro Machines pwned, insane good gameplay, I loved it aswell.

and Reak, ur definitly right, System Shock was definitly a lot scarier, it had the atmosphere for it and also the timing was very scary, and thats what I think is more scarier then ugly monsters, timing, a zombie sneaking up on you and when u turn around hes right infront of u breathing in ur face...

doom3 sucks

doom3 sucks...have you seen the e3 video? the monsters don´t react on being shot till they were shot so often that they die. i think d3 will disappoint many of us.

but what about far cry?!? the tech-demo-video looks really impressive

Dont compare doom3 with HL², but compare HL² with S.T.A.L.K.E.R

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE

but anyhow HL2 is the winner in my eyes so far...but that's mainly has something to do with D3 just contineuing the same old story...that ID has been pulling thru Doom, Doom2, Doom3 and Quake....crazy scientist are exerimenting with time/dimensions travel and opens the hell gate....

yeah and HL is crazy scientists opening a gate to another dimension ..... yeah it is actually :D

Back to topic:

I think that you guys are judging doom3 a bit to fast here. I wasnt very impressed by the way thoose zoombies reacted in the HL2 E3 movie, they just walked forward and tried to hit you and didnt react to the spinning blade thing. So not beeing impressed by the monsters in the D3 video is not strange.

Also D3 does have better graphics but its not a game just to sell the engine, it has loads of detail on animation and will do everything to scare you. When some of you claim that you aren't scared of the stuff in Doom3, how can you be? you have only seen a video of the game, and not played it. I have seen a video of system shock 2 and i wasnt scared, I was when I played the game though ;)

Like some said D3 and HL2 are not the same game, D3 will try to scare you while HL2 is more like a action movie.

I dont know where some of you got Halo 2 from, its gonna be Doom3 vs. HL2 but they will attract different markets so I might buy both to get some different playing experiences.

By the way, you can't claim that you have played a scary game untill you play Silent Hill 2, in one scene i just couldnt stand it, i pressed ecape and turned of the screen and just ran out. :D
Silent Hill 2 is probably the scariest computer game ever (yes I have played SS2 and RE).

Originally posted by PriNcE oF SpAcE
hahaaha! that's great :D

but I agree that we really can tell yet...I think the two games have slightly different goals they try to achieve...

D3 continuing the same old story? And what about hl2? isnt it basically the same thing, the aliens have invaded earth and you, Gordon Freeman, have to pull 'em back? Doom started the story about the portal opening to hell, hl1 copied and edited it by making it so that the portal actually transported aliens into the base.

How can you judge D3's story if you're not even sure of it? How can you be so sure that it wont be great, if ID has not even released concrete details about it?

By judging an alpha leaked demo? Judging by what others think?

Dont get me wrong, I know I will love both games. But Im not quite ready yet to jump around like a maniac saying that Hl2 will eat Doom 3 in all aspects.. Lets wait and see. When both games come out, we will be able to judge them fairly.

Doom3 is the same story. It is a re-telling of the original, updated for today and the current graphics. It is not a continuation. iD has already stated that.

Doom played much differently than HL. Doom was the action-pack, HL was the suspense one. Doom was being surrounded by creatures and being able to blast your way out. I expect D3 will provide that same thrill. Pretty unapologetic slaughter. Good times.

Originally posted by h3nkoS
I dont know where some of you got Halo 2 from, its gonna be Doom3 vs. HL2 but they will attract different markets so I might buy both to get some different playing experiences.
Perhaps in sales, HL2 and Doom 3 will beat out Halo 2 but, in my opinion, Halo 2 is very much in the running in terms of gameplay. While Halo never really did anything to 'reinvent' the genre, it took everything that made an FPS and they integrated it into their game in a such refined and polished manner that it seemed revolutionary. Hell, I've beaten the game on all the difficulties multiple times and I'm still playing it. It's got great gameplay, just not great moddability, because of console limitations. I never really liked the Doom series because I like my games to have some semblance of a story line, hence why I think it'll be Halo 2 vs. HL2. HL2.

-Vert

Vertigo, halo 1 still hasnt been released for PC, HL2 will be released in a few months.......

How fast do you think they are? Maybe HL3 vs. Halo 2 but not HL2.

Um, what are you talking about? I'm talking about Halo on the X-Box. Halo on PC isn't even being made by Bungie, and so they're devoting all their efforts to Halo 2. Gearbox is making Halo on PC.

-Vert

Vertigo, how the hell are you expecting an XBox game to compete with a PC game or vice versa ? I dont have XBox so I will buy HL2, and if I would have XBox I would buy halo2 for XBox and HL2 for PC. I dont see where the vs. comes into that? People with both PC and XBox will prolly buy HL2 and Halo 2 when it comes out, I dont see a reason for not buying both games?

I dont want to start a flame war but XBox games vs. PC games doesnt seem like two very competetive markets to me.

ok...listen up asshats!*warning long thread*

I've been quoted quite some times now...well please people when you quote me(and others for that sake) learn to read....

first off; I started out saying that I agreed that we really couldn't tell yet which would come out on top...=not jumping to conclusions!

second off; I said that so far HL2 in my oppinion was the winner...now...we can all pass judgement at the games progress thus far, since there has been released approx the same ammount of media for both games...both screenies and trailers showing off ingame action.

third; please qoute the entire passage, instead of just the few words that seem to fit your point of view...since the last part I said actually held some of the most important points to prove my view on this deal...

to clear things up...

what I'm talking about here is Doom3 bringing a minimum of new stuff to the fps-genre...what I'm talking about is originality...I think you all agree with me that originality in games are a huge plus...and make it all the more exciting.

so far Id has a habit of bringing a minimum of new features, story, weaponry to the scene...and really only providing new better graphics, and as I'm pretty sure most of you all agree(since you've played halflife and still keep playing the amazing mods) Graphics aren't the core of a game, it's nice to have good graphics...but the core is still the gameplay...

here's how original they've been around doom/quake:

doom

The Story So Far
You're a marine, one of Earth's toughest, hardened in combat and trained for action. Three years ago you assaulted a superior officer for ordering his soldiers to fire upon civilians. He and his body cast were shipped to Pearl Harbor, while you were transferred to Mars, home of the Union Aerospace Corporation. The UAC is a multi-planetary conglomerate with radioactive waste facilities on Mars and its two moons, Phobos and Deimos. With no action for fifty million miles, your day consisted of suckin' dust and watchin' restricted flicks in the rec room.
For the last four years the military, UAC's biggest supplier, has used the remote facilities on Phobos and Deimos to conduct various secret projects, including research on inter-dimensional space travel. So far they have been able to open gateways between Phobos and Deimos, throwing a few gadgets into one and watching them come out the other. Recently however, the Gateways have grown dangerously unstable. Military "volunteers" entering them have either disappeared or been stricken with a strange form of insanity-babbling vulgarities, bludgeoning anything that breathes, and finally suffering and untimely death of full body explosion. Matching heads with torsos to send home to the folks became a full-time job. Latest military reports state that the research is suffering a small set-back, but everything is under control.
A few hours ago, Mars received a garbled message from Phobos. "We require immediate military support. Something fraggin' evil is coming out of the Gateways! Computer systems have gone berserk!" The rest was incoherent. Soon Afterwards, Deimos simply vanished from the sky. Since then, attempts to establish contact with either moon have been unsuccessful.
You and your buddies, the only combat troop for fifty million miles were sent up pronto to Phobos. You were ordered to secure the perimeter of the base while the rest of the team went inside. For several hours, your radio picked up the sounds of combat: guns firing, men yelling orders, screams, bones cracking, then finally, silence. Seems your buddies are dead.

It's Up To You
Things aren't looking too good. You'll never navigate off the planet on your own. Plus, all the heavy weapons have been taken by the assault team leaving you with only a pistol. If only you could get your hands around a plasma rifle or even a shotgun you could take a few down on your way out. Whatever killed your buddies deserves a couple of pellets in the forehead. Securing your helmet, you exit the landing pod. Hopefully you can find more substantial fire power somewhere within the station.
As you walk through the main entrance of the base, you hear animal like growls echoing throughout the distant corridors. They know your here.
There's no turning back now.

weapons:
fists
chainsaw
pistol
shotgun
chaingun
rocket launcher
plasma rifle
BFG

new, as in groundbreaking & interesting, stuff(compared to the older stuff, Wolf3d set it off, but doom was the game that defined the genre...thumbs up there): graphics n' gore, controversy, weapons
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

doom2

The story so far:
Back at last. After days of hard fighting in space, you've returned home on a well-earned leave. You're one of Earth's crack soldiers, hard-bitten, tough, and heavily-armed. When the alien incision struck Mars, you were the first on the scene. By killing, killing, and killing, you won. You stopped the incision, saved Mars base, and became a war hero. What they don't talk about so much is that you were the only survivor.

But that's all behind you now. You've quit the military, and are heading home. Your drop pod lands with a crunch. You open 'er up, and look out. Damn! The city ahead is on fire. What the devil is going on? You stagger forward, clutching at your sidearm. Packs of refugees are fleeing the flaming metropolis A band of them shriek in terror. You squint. What's that? Someone is attacking the refugees. You rush up and blast away, killing the troublemaker. It looks like a human, but something's wrong. His mouth is filled with half-chewed flesh, and he's all messed up, like a zombie from a bad horror movie. Hell, not again!
You can feel it. It's all starting again, just like on Mars, First, people are taken over, turned into cannibal Things. Then the real horror starts, the deformed monstrosities from outside. But now it's on Earth

It turns out that the invaders are all over. Monsters range from Tokyo to Timbuktu, from Stockholm to Scranton. Billions are dead. Some people have been transformed into flesh-eating mutants, but few, a very few, are still alive and fully human. The wise men of humanity have evolved a plan to save what's left of the human race. They have built enormous ships to carry the remaining people into space, safely away from the ruined world.

Unfortunately, Earth's only ground spaceport has just been taken over by the demons. They've instituted a sort of force field - a flame barrier - over the port; no ships can land or take off. You gotta go back into action. The pathetic remnants of Earth's soldiers are making an assault on the invaders at the spaceport. If you win, and Homo sapiens may not go extinct just yet. If you lose, that's it. Humanity is history.

You and your comrades make their attack. Soon, brave men drop like flies. You lose track of your friends, though sometimes sounds of combat echo from deep within the starbase.
Something hisses with rage from the steel tunnels ahead. They know you're here. They have no pity, no mercy, take no quarter, and crave none. They're the perfect enemy, in a way. No one's left but you. You...and Them.

weapons:
same as the previous but with a "supershotgun"(double barreled...not really that much of a new weapon, since it was basically just an upgrade of the shotty)

new, as in groundbreaking & interesting, stuff:nothing really

now this is all cool...thinking about how old it was etc.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

now the shit hits the fan

quake

From the orginal Quake manual:

You get the phone call at 4 a.m. By 5:30 you're in the secret installation. The commander explains tersely, "It's about the Slipgate device. Once we perfect these, we'll be able to use them to transport people and cargo from one place to another instantly.

"An enemy codenamed Quake, is using his own slipgates to insert death squads inside our bases to kill, steal, and kidnap...

"The hell of it is we have no idea where he's from. Our top scientists think Quake's not from Earth, but another dimension. They say Quake's preparing to unleash his real army, whatever that is.

"You're our best man. This is Operation Counterstrike and you're in charge. Find Quake, and stop him ... or it ... You have full authority to requisition anything you need. If the eggheads are right, all our lives are expendable.."

While scouting the neighborhood, you hear shots back at the base Damn, that Quake bastard works fast! He heard about Operation Counterstrike, and hit first. Racing back, you see the place is overrun. You are almost certainly the only survivor. Operation Counterstrike is over. Except for you.

You know that the heart of the installation holds a slipgate. Since Quake's killers came through, it is still set to his dimension. You can use it to get loose in his hometown. Maybe you can get to the asshole personally. You pump a round into your shotgun, and get moving.

are you starting to see a patern here?

weapons:
axe(+for originality there)
shotgun
double barreled shotgun
nail gun(functions as a machine gun, but the design makes it kind of original)
super nailgun(upgraded nailgun, similar to a chain gun)
grenade launcher(lobs grenades)
rocket launcher
lightning gun(gotta give the props for letting it discharge if used under water)

you starting to see a patterne here aswell....

new, as in groundbreaking or interesting, stuff: graphics(full 3d=good stuff)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quake2

story: don't wanna sum it up, but for once they managed to do something a little different, although not much...and for some reason the game is called Quake2 when it really doesn't have anything at all to do with "Quake" so it's still kind of queer:dork:

weapons:
blaster
hyperblaster(upgraded vers. of blaster )
shotgun
double barreled shotgun
machine gun
chaingun(upgraded machine gun)
grenade launcher
rocket launcher
rail-gun
BFG2000

now that's original arsenal :dork: basic idea of ID's game's weaponry is that weapons gets faster and bigger, with a small drawback(usually being ammo consumption)

new stuff etc.: basically just the graphics
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quake3

story: not really interesting is it? in any case for this game it doesn't really matter...although it's worth noticing that the game has more to do with "Quake" than Quake2 did, since that dude from Quake1 is in the game(apparently that was enought to make the name sound like a sequel, although it's really not:dork: )

weapons:
chainsaw thingie
machinegun(looks an awful lot like the supernail gun)
shotgun
grenade launcher
rocket launcher
rail-gun
plasma rifle
BFG(that for some reason now is just a bigger and better plasma rifle...ffs the weapon was more exciting in doom1)

I'm really getting tired of this uninspirering arsenal...

new stuff etc.: wow you've guessed it...Graphics!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Doom3

story: same as in doom1:dork:

weapons so far: shotgun, machinegun and rocket launcher, but I doubt that we'll see anything really new, in the final game.

new stuff(as far as I can tell): ooooooooooh *suspense* tadaaa! Graphics!:dork:

now I don't have anything agains ID or there games at all...and I've enjoyed most of them...but I think that most will agree that the only thing they've really added to the fps genre is, new and better graphics....but that isn't really that groundbreaking at all since better graphics is something that most likely would happen anyways...unlike groundbreaking originality,gameplay, AI, interactions etc.

I guess the only descent thing for me is to make a similar list for HL & HL2 so...

Halflife

story: well..we all know it...right?
well except for people still not being entirely about all of the story in HL, we can all agree that the basics aren't that original(as some of you also hinted ;) ), "scientist experimenting on dimension travel... stuff goes wrong ... creatures from the other side gets thru portal etc etc."

but the way it was delivered to you, thru the course of the game and thru interactions with NPCs and the enviroment still made it unique.

weapons:

crowbar(yay)
pistol
revolver
machinegun with nade launcher
shotty
crossbow
gauss-gun
beam-thingie(Tau-cannon?)
grenades
satchel charges
laser-trip-mines
hornet gun
snarks

all in all a quite diverse arsenal...that fits both the gun-ho and the more tactical player....it's rather large and some of the weapons are quite original...and most of the got alt. fire(although Unreal took use of this first as far as I know)

new stuff: quite original arsenal IMO, AI, NPC interactions, gameplay, scripted sequences....

all in all HL brought some new stuff to the genre and was pretty much a benchmark in fps history IMO(atleast more than most of ID's games has)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

HL2

story: we don't know...except we must assume that it's a contineuation(sp? I always get that word wrong :p) rather than a re-run of HL1 "just updated to the graphics today"...and I'm sure we'll see a couple of twists and turns thru the story....

weapons(so far):

crowbar
pistol
shotty
mp7
machinegun with nade launcher(OICW?)
Rocket launcher(guided)
some kind of flare-gun
alien phermone balls
perhaps a guass-gun

so far nothing spectacular, but it seems pretty diverse and fun...

new stuff(so far): well since HL2 as far as I know will go retail before D3, I guess that HL's graphics will be kind of groundbreaking(looks pretty goddamn good to me at least). Physics that aren't just eye-candy but an integrated part of the gameplay.(read: can be used for other than looking good) very realistic human characters. NPC/monster AI, as far as I can tell I think that HL2 like HL1 for while will set the standard for AI(NPCs actions sounds pretty cool at least)

all in all...I don't know if HL2 can lift the heritage as a groundbreaking game as HL1 did...but I'm pretty sure it will break more ground than Doom3 will....oh well time will tell...

sorry for the long post....

Thx PriNcE oF SpAcE, interesting reading, finally I discovered that Doom and Quake had some kind of story :) I bet you got it from manual? :)

id games have always sucked story-wise.

HL single-payer story isn't great either. But it did have an acceptable story and most importantly great gameplay which made you want to play all the way through the single-player game.

Has iD ever once put a decent story into their games? Never, not even once. Based on id's track record, the chances of Doom 3's story being any different are slim, whereas Valve has a lot of experience in story and gameplay development (ie: Half-Life and Opposing Force (done by Remedy).

Back