DOTA 2 leaked screenshots

Well that would all make sense... considering Icefrog is the design lead and it's more or less based on the Warcraft universe, no matter who claims to the contrary.

I just... don't understand why Valve is all about this. DOTA is such a relic game type and they don't look like they're bringing a great deal of innovation to the table. It's like they just wanted to cash in on a big swing of League of Legends popularity. Nothing about this says "Valve" to me except that they've been talking about it for 100 years and there's but two screenshots to show what's going on. I just wish I could sit down in front of Gabe Newell and have him explain with complete clarity and honest what the hell is going on.

Just what is un-Valve? Do explain that to me.

I think the response "is that it?" to these screenshots is fair one. They look nice (graphically), but it's nothing new or interesting.

Not sure I get the un-Valve like remarks either. Cartoony fantasy? That's obviously, solely Blizzard. I'd say the texture work leans heavily towards TF2 if anything.

I don't care whether it's Valve or not but the idea of DOTA 2, after all these tower defence clones, doesn't gel with me. Most of the games have moved on from the template into at least something different or mutated, with the exception of HoN which is pretty much the unofficial sequel in its stubbornness not to evolve. It's almost as if Icefrog was getting jealous that the rest had released something commercially viable and started screaming "I AM THE RIGHTFUL KING" and marched down to Valve for a publishing deal. It doesn't offer anything new except it's official sequel status, and having a juggernaut studio behind it to endorse and market it.

I don't know. It just doesn't say 'Valve' to me. I am just not used to seeing mini-maps and potions in a Valve game. And like Starbob I just don't get why Valve is doing this.

Also, another screenshot.

My word, a Dota 2 has a similar style to Dota! WHAT A SHOCK!

With DOTA, HoN and LoL around they should have gone further with a unique style.

It's un-Valve because Valve make really innovative games and this looks like LoL and any other DOTA game out there. Besides that there is some really weird stuff going on with IceFrog and Valve. Before I say anything, I know nothing of DOTA, just LoL mainly but I have heard about IceFrog. What I have heard is this guy has an ego and may have ripped off ideas from other people. This really isn't unheard of but take what you want from this blog: http://icefrogtruth.blogspot.com/ Mainly you want to read this blog entry: http://icefrogtruth.blogspot.com/2010/10/truth.html Take what you want from that blog whether it's true or not.

uCXoD.jpg

Pretty sure the blog was fake hool.

Was looking at a comparison between LoL, HoN and Dota 2. Dota 2 looks so much nicer than those two from these screens.

Pretty sure the blog was fake hool.

Was looking at a comparison between LoL, HoN and Dota 2. Dota 2 looks so much nicer than those two from these screens.

They are sure a lot more pleasing to the eye than what I have seen of LoL. I dunno. Maybe Valve will surprise me with a great twist on the MOBA genre that I really dig.

I don't see what's so hard to understand about Valve and DOTA2 to be honest.

It's not as if Valve invented the FPS, they just took the genre and made it better using their own approach to design. Similarly, why can't they take the MOBA genre and make it better using their design philosophies?

I could definitely see how a few people at Valve may have had the itch to create a different game that wasn't an FPS. In fact, how much can you really do, when they have so many FPS franchises in-house, that would make them different enough to warrant another one? They have CS, TF2, HL3, Portal, L4D. If you ask me, that's a hell of a lot of shooters all coming from one developer. Great ones at that.

So really, I'm glad they're branching out of the shooters. It'll give us a chance to get OTHER great games from them in other genres, and as with all other valve games, they are guaranteed a purchase from me, since I have yet to be disappointed by one of their games.

Why do people insist on claiming Portal is a shooter?

@Rico
Sure but it is just that you are somehow used to Valve making first person action games (better description Rimfire? ;)). It is a bit like Blizzard releasing a shooter. I am quite sure DOTA2 will have all the Valve trimmings and I might even like the game, but I still think it was an odd choice. And that's not critique, just an observation.

Do you have to shoot at things with a gun in order to beat the game? I'd say that's a shooter.

Why can't there be different kinds of shooters? There are certainly enough of them to warrant subdivisions within the genre.

@Shaker:

Ah but Blizzard already has a decent bit of variety in their franchises. They have an MMO, an Isometric action game, and a series of RTS games. To be honest, I'm sure they will do a shooter eventually... though Blizzard has been impressing me less and less lately. I'm not a big fan of the direction they're heading towards, they seem as if they're slowly becoming "just another big game company". Maybe not as bad as EA, but they're sure heading in a shady direction.

Whereas I can tell that Valve always has the gamer in mind, they give us a great bang for our buck... I pretty much will buy anything they put out so long as they maintain that philosophy.

It's almost as if Icefrog was getting jealous that the rest had released something commercially viable and started screaming "I AM THE RIGHTFUL KING" and marched down to Valve for a publishing deal. It doesn't offer anything new except it's official sequel status, and having a juggernaut studio behind it to endorse and market it.

Didn't I hear Icefrog actually worked on both LoL and HoN before going to Valve? Maybe that was something that came out of the "truth" blog, I don't know.

Why do people insist on claiming Portal is a shooter?

It's a puzzle game using the framework of a shooter. Hardly distinct enough from Valve's other properties as to be completely uncharacteristic of them, and besides they've made it their own now. DOTA 2 is something altogether different, but there's every chance they'll pull it off anyway. I'm not really sure what to think of it - MOBAs can be fun with friends, but the competitive side completely turns me off. Even with something as (relatively) casual as LoL, you can't climb very high in the ranks without being constantly reminded of all the things you're doing wrong.

You have to realize that they aren't trying to reinvent the wheel with DOTA2, they simply want to take control of an existing franchise with millions of players that a lot of people at Valve are personally obsessed with. LoL and HoN are games in the same genre, but Valve want to pull a Starcraft 2, and retain the majority of the existing DOTA1 audience, so very little is going to change.

Valve are in a fairly unique situation where they have enough money and virtually no pressure from investors or publishers to pursue any project they wish, regardless of whether they ever get released or not. Its kind of a scary prospect to have a group of players, who have the resources to completely buy out a mod with millions of players, in order to exact their own plan for it. Its also nothing new for Valve though, so hopefully it will work out just fine.

Its also nothing new for Valve though
This is one of the things I don't get with people's reaction to this game. I can understand the surprise at Valve making this type of game, but people seem to be totally gobsmacked at Valve picking this Warcraft 3 mod and making into a commercial game and it's not like they've only done it for mods for their own games.

Team Fortress - Quake mod
Counter-Strike - Half-Life mod
Day of Defeat - Half-Life mod
Portal - Student project
Portal 2 paint mechanics - Student project (from the same school)
Left 4 Dead - Inspired by the zombie mod for Counter-Strike
Alien Swarm - Unreal Tournament 2004 mod

Their only original IPs are Half-Life and Ricochet.

Looks purty :)
Looking forward to dropping LoL and it's shitty community for hopes of a less shitty community.

I like how basically none of you play games in this genre yet have such strong opinions based entirely on the visuals.

Looks purty :)
Looking forward to dropping LoL and it's shitty community for hopes of a less shitty community.
It has nothing to do with the specific flavour of MOBA and everything to do with the way MOBAs work. There will be rage. Lots of rage. Times millions of Valve fans.

Also if you think the LoL community is bad compared to original Dota...

eVf8X.jpg

omg it looks the same as the LoL and heroes of newerth! imagen that! :eek:

people seem to be totally gobsmacked at Valve picking this Warcraft 3 mod and making into a commercial game

I think this is the part people find strange. Copyright technicalities aside (it's DOTA, not DotA! :v), they've literally lifted a popular mod from their competition's game and made it into their own retail product. LoL and HoN have already done something very close to this, but not quite so overtly as to hire (arguably) the brains behind the operation and name it a direct sequel.

But yeah, they are mostly a mod polishing factory now, let's be honest.

Isn't that what games development is, though? Ignoring the fact that they've sort-of lifted the mod from a series they don't own :V

I think this is the part people find strange. Copyright technicalities aside (it's DOTA, not DotA! :v), they've literally lifted a popular mod from their competition's game and made it into their own retail product.
Team Fortress was a Quake mod. Alien Swarm was an Unreal Tournament 2004 mod. Valve have been doing this since 1998.

I don't understand... what's so confusing about this not appearing to be valve's work? I mean look at the history of Valve titles:
Half Life - Story and gameplay style not seen in FPS of that era. Breaking new ground.
Half Life 2 - Continuation of the good aspects of the original and still doing it best.
TF2 - took an old gameplay style and made something completely new and exciting from it
L4D - Took a tired zombie concept and made it into a coop fantasy for zombie fans
Portal - Took a concept and made it into a game with strong characters and great design

DOTA2 - Made the same game everyone else is still playing.

That's what makes this seem so very little like a Valve product. If Valve isn't making something original, they go to great length to ensure that it's so far above a previous iteration (See TF2, L4D) that it makes you forget there are other games of that nature. Nothing about this evokes that ideal when you look at those screenshots. I was thinking they'd at least take it in a whole new direction but all I see is LoL with some shinier graphics and a muddy looking interface. That's not what Valve has done in the past and thus it doesn't appear to be like Valve's work.

I mean seriously... just pretend that Valve is not involved with this at all. Look at the screenshots. Would you assume this was anything more than an indie knockoff done in a decent engine? Nope. But if it's not real then I guess we can just wait for the real stuff and judge it then. However I'd still much rather see something else from Valve.

I think people need to take a step back and realize that we have seen a few screenshots, and we are already saying that its the same game as before. Just wait until more info is released, then make those judgements.

I mean seriously... just pretend that Valve is not involved with this at all. Look at the screenshots. Would you assume this was anything more than an indie knockoff done in a decent engine? Nope. But if it's not real then I guess we can just wait for the real stuff and judge it then. However I'd still much rather see something else from Valve.
Because there's so much depth and shit you can tell from a few non-combat screenshots. Again, since I doubt even a fifth of you even know what you're looking at, why do you have such swift judgement? Compare infiniminer screens to Minecraft screens. Just a cheap knockoff right guise.

I like how basically none of you play games in this genre yet have such strong opinions based entirely on the visuals.

It has nothing to do with the specific flavour of MOBA and everything to do with the way MOBAs work. There will be rage. Lots of rage. Times millions of Valve fans.

Also if you think the LoL community is bad compared to original Dota...

eVf8X.jpg

I've had much more raging involved in LoL than compared to the original Dota. Seems an account with stats tied to it, gets the blood boiling when people make it look bad. And there's ways Valve could reduce the rage.

DOTA2 - Made the same game everyone else is still playing.
Sounds exactly like Counter-Strike: Source.

Because there's so much depth and shit you can tell from a few non-combat screenshots. Again, since I doubt even a fifth of you even know what you're looking at, why do you have such swift judgement? Compare infiniminer screens to Minecraft screens. Just a cheap knockoff right guise.
Also this.

As someone who's never played DotA or anything DotA-like, I'd like to say that I think those screens look neat.

Eh, pretty boring screenshots...

We get to see it in action soon enough, though.

It's not like what Counter-Strike: Source is to Counter-Strike 1.6 due to so many obvious flaws with DotA (due to the engine, Warcraft 3 etc.) that will be fixed with DOTA 2. Counter-Strike 1.6 had no such flaws so there wasn't a reason for the fanbase to transition over (not to mention that CS:Source was pretty different). With DOTA 2 coming there will be a million reasons for players to transition.

That said, how are they getting around the heroes' likenesses being based on WC3 units? I'm not familiar enough with DOTA to be able to identify any of the characters announced so far, but I thought I heard it would have a similar/identical roster.

Back