Dota 2 "New Bloom Festival" Update - Day 3

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
The third and final day of the New Bloom Festival update for Dota 2 has revealed Phoenix, the second new hero set to be introduced into the game from Dota: All Stars. Phoenix, who stands as a ranged strength hero, features multiple fire-based abilities, allowing him to sacrifice his own health in order to deal damage over time to enemies and to heal allies.

slide-jpg.24676

His ultimate, Supernova, transforms Phoenix into a large "core of fusing energy" which deals large amounts of persistent burn damage over time. Should the Supernova be allowed to detonate in this form after a six second duration, the blast will stun all foes in a large 1,000 unit area of effect before restoring Phoenix back to full health.

While the New Bloom Festival update does feature a pair of new heroes, the patch does also include a series of useful new features, including the all-new "Replay Takeover". This new mode, which can be loaded up using any replay created after the update ships tomorrow, will allow players to jump right into the action by taking on the role of the different heroes in play before battling it out to see a potential new outcome for the same situation.

replay-png.24677
Since this feature can be used repeatedly, it should prove extremely helpful for professional players in the competitive scene as teams will be able to go back and replay events in an attempt to develop new strategies while avoiding past issues or mistakes. The Replay Takeover feature is classified as its own gamemode, meaning that additional "Takeover" replays of replayed events will also be recorded.

As promised back in December, the update will also include a large variety of community-created items which have been selected from the Steam Workshop over the past month or so. The majority of these items will be available in a new "Treasure of Vermilion Renewel" chest which will be provided as a random drop at the end of matches.

items-png.24678

The New Bloom Festival update is now available on the main game client tomorrow night. To catch up on all the juicy details, be sure to head on over to the Dota 2 blog to read all about the upcoming changes for yourself.

Note: The Year Beast, and by extension the event exclusive gamemode, are both only available at pre-determined times. As explained in a blog post on Wednesday 5th February, players can face off against the Year Beast by exchanging their collected ingots for in-game currency which can then be used to purchase items and new armaments which help to stall the beast or to increase the damage he takes. Each ingot will be translated into 40 Gold, allowing players to receive more Jade Tokens depending on how much damage is dealt in the course of the 25 minute round. Jade Tokens can be exchanged for random prizes in the "Play" section of the Dota 2 main menu.

Players from groups who deal damage in the top 10% will receive the "elusive Redhoof courier", while players in the top 1% will be rewarded with the "coveted Jadehoof courier".

yearbeast-png.24682

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    229.5 KB · Views: 32,247
  • Replay.PNG
    Replay.PNG
    674.7 KB · Views: 9,557
  • Items.PNG
    Items.PNG
    1.4 MB · Views: 26,301
  • YearBeast.PNG
    YearBeast.PNG
    233.5 KB · Views: 3,221
Replay Takeover could be pretty interesting. See how much of a deficit you can make a comeback from!

"Note: We should mention we have discovered that there is, in fact, no new event-exclusive gamemode, and it appears the Year Beast only makes an appearance during normal and ranked matchmaking games at certain designated times, as shown below."

wait. So when I play a normal game, It suddenly gets interrupted by that thing? Sounds interesting :D
I wish I could play more Dota 2, but alone it isnt that much fun, all my friends play shitty LoL

I'm wondering if the replay takeover thing means Valve can essentially capture a moment and save it at any time, like a restore point. In pro tournaments I've seen games crash (both Dota and LoL) and the team have got to "go re" as they say.

Could this feature also be used to restore a game from a certain point or did they implement that already some time ago?

Looks closely at the chest area on Phoenix. Is that a reflection of Monkey King's face?

I'm wondering if the replay takeover thing means Valve can essentially capture a moment and save it at any time, like a restore point. In pro tournaments I've seen games crash (both Dota and LoL) and the team have got to "go re" as they say.

Could this feature also be used to restore a game from a certain point or did they implement that already some time ago?

It depends on whether a replay will be generated and/or can be accessed from a crashed game. Certainly I've had games that crashed and then never shown up in history for me to find a replay.

Back