Dota 2 Reborn Roll-Out Begins

Omnomnick

Retired Lead Content Creator
Staff member
Reaction score
Following an announcement yesterday evening, Valve have today revealed that The Reborn Update set to replace the Source 1 client of Dota 2 with the Source 2 variant is currently being rolled out over the next few hours. Some of you may already have noticed that you no longer have the option to choose between the two variants of Dota 2, with the "Play" option in the Steam Library simply opening up the Source 2 version.

dota.PNG
This launch follows an update released yesterday which introduced a number of new features to the Dota 2 Reborn client, primary of which is "Dota Levels", a new in-game levelling system intended to replace the outdated Battle Points. By collecting trophies of various kinds, the levels of a player's Dota account will increase with every 100 points earned. These levels are purely cosmetic and serve no other purpose than to assign the icon of an in-game item to a player's profile. Other changes include the addition of a new treasure unlocking system and multiple improvements to the game's performance, such as better input latency and reduced memory usage.

The update also brought about the introduction of the three weather effects promised as rewards for The International 2015 Compendium, as all Compendium owners should now have access to the "Harvest", "Pestilence", and "Sirocco" items. Given the ValveTime team's Dota 2 clients have quietly updated to Source 2-only during the writing of this article, this has got to be one of the quickest and uneventful "launches" in Valve's long and varied history.

Rest in Peace, Source 1 Dota 2

2011 - 2015

You were good son, real good! Maybe even the best!
Wait, that's TF2...

Was Reborn version running on Source 1 until today? Sorry if it's stupid question but i'm confused (i don't play Dota 2, that's why).

Was Reborn version running on Source 1 until today? Sorry if it's stupid question but i'm confused (i don't play Dota 2, that's why).
Reborn was a separate client run using the same launch prompt as the normal game. The regular game used Source 1, Reborn used Source 2. Both clients were kept relatively in-check with one another until about a week ago, when Valve announced they would no longer support the Source 1 version (which now no longer exists, unless you count the Test Client).

Back