Dragon Age 2 Announced

taviow

Tank
Reaction score
The Dragon Age 2 website has been updated with an exciting bullet point list of new features. We've copied them.

* Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
* Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
* Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
* Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
* Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.

The site tells us the first trailer will hit on 17th August, which coincides with German gameshow gamescom.

Wooo... I liked DA so I'm looking forward to this I guess.
Source.

Hmm, I don't know what to think about this. Maybe this will be the true spiritual successor to Baldur's Gate because the first one sure wasn't for me. I tried to love it but played it once, got almost to the end, then stopped and never really felt like going back. Weird. The BG games I always go back to. I hope I love DA2 more. It sounds like the story might be a bit tighter and that a lot of problems I had with the first one have been fixed, but I guess we will see.

Guess I need to beat Dragon Age: Origins now.

This, I got bored of it :|

Its just too ****ing long! and i have way too many other games to do =/

I think there's a few signs that Bioware are going to abandon the "one-sided conversation" style and go with a more Mass Effect-esque narrative technique.

For one, they've made mention of thinking about changing the original Dragon Age after the success of ME. Then there's the apparent appearence of what seems to be a main character in the artwork released so far (although that could just as easily be an antagonist). Put that together with their claims that DA:RtP will offer "an entirely new cinematic experience", and I think they're set to make the change. And much needed it would be too.

This, I got bored of it :|

Its just too ****ing long! and i have way too many other games to do =/

ya. me too. I finished Mass effect 2 immediately after Dragon Age. currently playing RDR and will most likely finish it. Dragon age just got too repetative. tired of the freakin caves

Only got around to beating the game once on my human character, but it was mostly enjoyable. Might get Dragon Age 2 once I learn more about it. They might want to try making it less repetitive than its predecessor, for I became tired of going back and forth through the same places in the first game. Also might need to make Dragon Age 2 a little shorter, but that's about it.

tried to love it but played it once, got almost to the end, then stopped and never really felt like going back

wow, freaky, me too. Exactly like you said.

The game was just too full of age old cheesy cliches. And breasts. And scarily zero (0) atmosphere. And shallow, juvenile characters (with breasts) I had no empathy with or sympathy for. It felt like a Fun Size, Low Sugar, Value Pack Fisher Price Baldur's Gate for ages 11 - 13 (may contain strong cliches and scenes of breasts). Even Neverwinter Nights grabbed me (breasts) more than this game, and I hated that.

Disclaimer: I like breasts. On human ladies, somewhere within 20-30 degrees latitude. I like them alot. I like asses too. Baldur's Gate was also cool.

Looking forward to it. I liked Dragon Age a lot. Played through it twice. Guess I have a better attention span than you shmucks. A new visual style you say? That concept art of the lady looks cool. I don't get what it means by "Think like a general, fight like a spartan" though. Is there going to be strategy elements? Maybe its taking the "build your army" aspect of the first game to the next level and giving it more focus. That could be cool.

Dragon Age was fun. The expansion was much less so. I hope it's more like the original and less like the chore the expansion was. I think they're going to action it up like they did in ME2 and hopefully build upon strategic elements instead of just setting your people with good list of skills and running through the game.

No you don't. The origin stories are the best part, the rest is... well, quite funny if you have blood splattered on you at all times. Otherwise it's rather dull, think civil court or filling out your taxes.

Well, that was fast. I didn't expect an announcement for a year or two.

80 hr games just aren't my cup of tea anymore. 40 for singleplayer and thats all. Also I only put 15 hrs in Dragon Ages and it was a pretty boring 15 hrs. game was choppy even on my low settings and the gameplay itself was static and very retro like but in all honesty games like Minecraft, Red Dead, Demon's Souls, and hundreds of others are 10 times better because you can actually move around and experience the world. that and I hate games that have brick walls everywhere

So, new character, new story then?

Welp guess I don't have to finish the first one after all. ^_^

Awesome.
Loved the first game.

I still need to check out the expansion and DLC though.

I think there's a few signs that Bioware are going to abandon the "one-sided conversation" style and go with a more Mass Effect-esque narrative technique.

For one, they've made mention of thinking about changing the original Dragon Age after the success of ME. Then there's the apparent appearence of what seems to be a main character in the artwork released so far (although that could just as easily be an antagonist). Put that together with their claims that DA:RtP will offer "an entirely new cinematic experience", and I think they're set to make the change. And much needed it would be too.
Bingo.

http://kotaku.com/5582435/dragon-age-ii-pulls-a-commander-shepard

Ehhhh, worked well for Mass Effect, but I thought DA was meant to be a more traditional RPG. Half the appeal was building your own character, instead of shaping a pre-existing one.

Oh well, can't wait to see a dialogue wheel where all four options are "forsooth."

Haven't played the first, so I'm not very excited by this news.

Nah, wouldn't want BG3 yet. :p Let's see if they can do Dragon Age 2 right, then we can talk about it!

I don't count the first among my all-time favorite games, but I liked it, and the expansion was pretty good as well (I wasn't ready for it to end when it did, honestly).

So this is shaping up to be Dragon Effect 2: Dragon Harder.

http://kotaku.com/5585473/dragon-age-2-following-in-mass-effects-footsteps

Yeeeeah kind of losing interest after reading that. DA wasn't perfect (some might even say bland) but it had it's own identity, I don't think anyone would've hated them for just building on that and trying to make it more interesting.

Some screens of the new art style in action... eeuurrgh. :|

DA2firstscreens01.jpg

DA2firstscreens02.jpg

Those screens are ugly as ****. I may actually be more interested in DA2 because DA1 was just not doing it for me. I think I hyped it up too much expecting BG3...;(

As one of those bastards that prefers Mass Effect's more "contemporary" take on the RPG to Dragon Age: Origins' more "classic" approach, I'm digging these changes, as in many places Dragon Age felt like playing a game from, well, 2003.

WELL THAT TRULY IS TERRIBLE.

Tav, why the hell aren't you ever on Steam anymore?

MISSING THOSE DISCUSSIONS ABOUT DAMAGES AND TRUE BLOOD MAN.

Fable Age 2: Brutal Guildwar: Effect 2

Sweet art direction dudes, chart topper inc.

I was actually happy that the game was dropping it's Asperger's and growing up alongside video games, but I'll take the Baldur's Gate approach a gazillion times over this horrible conglomeration of styles borrowed blatantly from recent games. Games which appropriately used more unconventional, refreshingly unrealistic art styles. None of this fits.

I don't understand why having a PC voice and customisable PC are mutually exclusive.

IGN Preview

We also got to see the new conversation system. Dialogue has been simplified so that you only have up to three choices. Each choice is represented by an icon that indicates whether or it's a "good," "nasty," or "badass" choice.

Eek.

One important thing to note: they're giving the console and PC versions different combat systems. The PC one will probably (hopefully) remain truer to it's tactical/isometric roots.

Anyway, this may shed some light on why they seem so intent to change it up and make it more accessible:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=255062

Not that change is a bad thing (if there was one thing DA: O lacked it was a clear sense of identity, so at least they're attempting to rectify that), but making the game more palatable at the expense of it's core appeal seems kind of... inadvisable, especially when it's already shown such unexpected results.

As for the three-pronged dialog system and fixed main character? Eugh. Come on, Bioware, we already have one Commander Shepard. I somehow doubt this new guy is going to give us a much broader emotional palette, especially considering the "badass" option...

Eek.

One important thing to note: they're giving the console and PC versions different combat systems. The PC one will probably (hopefully) remain truer to it's tactical/isometric roots.

Anyway, this may shed some light on why they seem so intent to change it up and make it more accessible:

http://www.computerandvideogames.com/article.php?id=255062

Not that change is a bad thing (if there was one thing DA: O lacked it was a clear sense of identity, so at least they're attempting to rectify that), but making the game more palatable at the expense of it's core appeal seems kind of... inadvisable, especially when it's already shown such unexpected results.

As for the three-pronged dialog system and fixed main character? Eugh. Come on, Bioware, we already have one Commander Shepard. I somehow doubt this new guy is going to give us a much broader emotional palette, especially considering the "badass" option...

ya, glad they're developing the PC differently, just like DAO
and I personally love the idea of having a voice for the PC
not a big fan of the name "Hawk" though . . . :|

I hope that they make it more like KOTOR with the good/bad makes you look more good/bad. I dunno, that has always appealed to me since playing Black & White. Making it more hack and slash may be neat... that's what I figured they would do since they did it in Mass Effect 2. I think if they pull it off right it will be good.

I wonder how different they can make the combat systems between the games without it being just awkward for for a console and pc gamer to talk about the game? I mean button mashing hack and slash like they described doesn't seem to fit a mouse and keyboard stying. It seems everyone's gottten used to the 1-4 or 1-9 button skills. I suppose that could be something like button mashing, but I don't want to be slamming my 1-4 keys with the ferocity I'd reserve for a game like God of War or whatever.

^Didn't get it. I must be so lame.

I think they realized that the current combat system didn't really work well on consoles (from what I've heard from friends) so they changed it to be more hack and slash which would also correspond with the tastes of mainstream console gamers. So not only would the combat work better, it would also appeal to a larger crowd and sell better.

Back