Dragon Age: Origins

No doubt, but it is all a matter of taste. And for my taste Bioware games are too story-heavy and the combat is usually lacklustre. So that is why I asked: will DA: O change my mind?

Might want to stick to Borderlands.

Game is awesome. Many many hours into it and I am loving it. It does open up and let you do whatever you want to do and go where you want to go. Not sure where that complaint comes from.

The voice acting imho is actually really really good, I have yet to hear anyone who sounds remotely bad. I love all the extra side quests too.

Still, anyone HATE the Fade as much as I do? Fun as some of the gameplay elements were?

Haha, the BG2 discussion in this thread is great because my roommate and I are both playing through it again (for me since the first time it came out...) partially to soothe my wounded soul at not being able to afford DA: O just yet...

Did you import your character from BG1? If you did and you had the golden Pantaloons on your character when you saved you should find them in the first room where the Golum is when you first start.

http://www.gamebanshee.com/baldursgateii/

Useful site for all things BG2 BTW.

GIANT HAAAAAAANDS :eek:

Giant doesn't qualify. I've not seen anything as hideous as those hands bar that night I accidentally opened a portal between this world and Vhoorl & Cthulhus' minions started to seep through the walls...:eek:

I've barely scratched the surface of this game and I'm enjoying it. btw what's with every woman have awesome boobs? every last one of them have these perky perfectly formed boobs. Even the old lady mage chick has perfectly symetrical, gravity defying globes of fun filled flesh. man, even my character's mom has awesome tits despite being in her 60's

I've barely scratched the surface of this game and I'm enjoying it. btw what's with every woman have awesome boobs? every last one of them have these perky perfectly formed boobs. Even the old lady mage chick has perfectly symetrical, gravity defying globes of fun filled flesh. man, even my character's mom has awesome tits despite being in her 60's

Too bad she's deeeeeeeead

The voice acting imho is actually really really good, I have yet to hear anyone who sounds remotely bad. I love all the extra side quests too.

Still, anyone HATE the Fade as much as I do? Fun as some of the gameplay elements were?

Once I got the parallel between the Fade and the Warp I started to enjoy it. Putting things in Warhammer terms makes them more enjoyable for some reason, probably because I love it so.

Is as if the target demographic is young adult males. :O

young adults like senior citizens with nice boobs? GILF?

I tried it on Xbox. I liked it alot. Just played Elf orgin story and a bit at the camp, but I really enjoyd it. Will pick it up on PC or PS3, can't decide.

I tried it on Xbox. I liked it alot. Just played Elf orgin story and a bit at the camp, but I really enjoyd it. Will pick it up on PC or PS3, can't decide.

PC is better if you have the choice.

Game is awesome. Many many hours into it and I am loving it. It does open up and let you do whatever you want to do and go where you want to go. Not sure where that complaint comes from.

It comes from me, probably as I have only played a few hours. What you say is good news indeed.

Yeah, once you actually get to the world map you can backtrack and all that good stuff.
I love the camp aspect, takes the pressure off of worrying about missing important character developments if you don't have certain party members in your group.

This is seriously the best game I've played in years.
Not just the best RPG, the best game. period.

I hope to god they do as well with Mass Effect 2.

I will be a happy camper.

Mass Effect seemed sparse in comparison to DAO. they'll have to go in another direction if they want to make it as good as DAO

Not really. I rather enjoyed it, seemed a nice break from the rest of the world. I mean, come on, you get to be a Burning Man. Hes the coolest thing in the game so far.

Plus, I tend to compare it to the Oblivion Gates in Oblivion. Its like a good version of those that is actually fun.

I just love the Critical Hit fatalities.

Anyone have any idea as to how many there are?

Outside Boss encounters, I have come across 3.

1) Triple slice with dual swords.
2) 360 spin then beheading with sword & shield.
3) 180 spin then stab backward with great sword.

Each was a bloody mess. Can you kibble-n-bit an enemy with a critical hit from magic? How about bows? Only with a melee weapon?

I also keep jumping back & forth between chars. So far, I like the human Warrior Noble the best. I am currently working on a sub level 5 elf archer. Slow work.

-MRG

I've never seen any of those "fatalities" being a mage an all... of course, mages have the advantage of actually being good, so... :p

I have to skip every damn locked chest because I refuse to take either of the useless rogues. They're so horrible. Alistair, my tank, isn't really that great either, though... he can die very, very fast without proper support, and often just gets to sit back and watch as my three mages handle things from afar. In fact, I can solo most battles with just my guy at this point. I am still just on normal, though.

I just love the Critical Hit fatalities.

Anyone have any idea as to how many there are?

Outside Boss encounters, I have come across 3.

1) Triple slice with dual swords.
2) 360 spin then beheading with sword & shield.
3) 180 spin then stab backward with great sword.

Each was a bloody mess. Can you kibble-n-bit an enemy with a critical hit from magic? How about bows? Only with a melee weapon?

I also keep jumping back & forth between chars. So far, I like the human Warrior Noble the best. I am currently working on a sub level 5 elf archer. Slow work.

-MRG

I've only really seen the ones for dual swords(as that's what I use and I have >50% of the party damage), but here's a few I've seen.

1) the one you said, slices 'em up
2)stab in the chest with my dagger, then a quick swipe cuts their head off
3) just a 360 spin and cuts their head off

The one other one that made me just sort of sit there for a moment, basking in the awesome was in the Deep Roads. It was a fatality against an ogre.

My character did a uppercut slice, which knocked the ogre off balance, he took a step backwards, and main-hand sword primed did a SLO-MO JUMP(ala' 300) INTO THE OGRE, IMPALING It'S CHEST AND KNOCKING IT TO THE GROUND

then he pulls the sword out and lands another one right in its face

my god it was so freakin' cool.

I've never seen any of those "fatalities" being a mage an all... of course, mages have the advantage of actually being good, so... :p

Mages are not good. Arcane Warriors are good.

Enjoying it again now, my main lack of enjoyment was the extreme difficulty, the console version is IMHO harder than the PC version because of the mediocre NPC AI, and the substantially harder work it is on the console versions to try to manage the battle. Had to lower the difficulty to Normal to be able to enjoy it without constantly getting assf*cked.

To be honest though, when it comes to being a spiritual successor to the BG games, I think even NWN2 does a better job than this.

DAO is still a very good and fun game though, PC version is far superior from what I've heard though, shame my PC can't handle it all that well.

I have no performance issues with the game but the load times are starting to get ridiculous the further you get into it and the longer you play the game. I don't seem to be the only one though. Looks like it's a memory leak. I hope they patch this soon.

Anyone successfully defended Redcliffe yet? I made it my first stop after lothering (surely a pun that name no?) and although I saw off the undead at the top of the cliffs with the knights ok, trying to defend the village seems to be impossible as the horde is unending and you ultimately get swamped (even on easy). I did think that perhaps I'd just hang back, & let the village militia inevitably die and hold out from the ridge using missiles and the narrowness of the ramp to my advantag, but that seems like a bit of a cowardly approach...

Any recommendations/strategies?

It just takes time. Just keep your party as healed up as possible. Once one of your guys gets knocked out it gets a lot harder. When I was playing my rogue character, I made it close to the end, but then everyone except morrigan got knocked out. All I could do was try and lure one or two away from the chantry up to the knights where they would kill them. I kept doing that until it was ultimately over.

With my current mage character, I didnt really have any problems at all, because I had two mages who could do area attacks, which really works well in that fight.

Make sure you have morrigan use that stun wave attack whenever she possibly can, that was your guys wont take any hits for a few seconds, and you can use that time to heal up.

Redcliffe wasn't that tough.

Defending the waterfront was much harder than defending the mill, all of the militia were killed towards the end of the onslaught but me and my party persevered.

Really, you just need a large amount of health pots... I accumulated about 30 of them over the course of the game since I never really needed to use them before Redcliffe.

I had Alistair, Morrigan, and Leilana with a bow.
Seemed to hold our own pretty well.

Anyone know how many other characters it is possible to get in total? So far I have a bunch, but clearly there is room for many more.

The last wave of the Redcliffe assault seemed like it would never end, but yes, if you use everyone in the party wisely you can do it after a while. Just play smart--pause all you like. :)

I met a mad hermit in the forest and I am not sure the role he will play in the future, but I desperately want his funny ass in my party ASAP!! :E

What difficulty level should I choose for my game? I like being challenged and I don't want to go the easy way (because I usually don't replay games), so my question is: is "normal" too easy? Is "hard" too difficult?

Anyone successfully defended Redcliffe yet? I made it my first stop after lothering (surely a pun that name no?) and although I saw off the undead at the top of the cliffs with the knights ok, trying to defend the village seems to be impossible as the horde is unending and you ultimately get swamped (even on easy). I did think that perhaps I'd just hang back, & let the village militia inevitably die and hold out from the ridge using missiles and the narrowness of the ramp to my advantag, but that seems like a bit of a cowardly approach...

Any recommendations/strategies?

Yeah I struggled with that bit too first go around. If you're doing that straight from Lothering it's pretty tough win that in a straight up fight. I only had a handful of health potions so I had to resort to cheap tactics once the town militia inevitably all died. I just sent everybody back up the hill to the knights and baited small groups up there.

Eventually though I started a new character and did the Stone Prisoner DLC, the Urn and a ton of sidequests in Denerim before trying Redcliffe again at around Level 10/11. Still difficult, but I managed to hold my own down in the town square with only Leliana going down. Be sure to get Morrigan the Cone of Cold spell ASAP if you haven't already, I've found it pretty vital for most of the game so far.

Right now though I'm stuck at Orzammar. For anyone who's completed it...

Got any tips/strategies for the Brood Mother? I've been stuck trying to kill this shitbag for a couple of hours now with no luck. I've only got about 6 health poultices (2 of each) and a basic heal spell for Morrigan but I'm still consistently able to get the ****er down to about 15-20% health before a second batch of darkspawn appear, a couple of which are those stealthy scythe-handed types who just rape everybody while they're trying to deal with the boss, it's tentacles and those pesky archers.

What difficulty level should I choose for my game? I like being challenged and I don't want to go the easy way (because I usually don't replay games), so my question is: is "normal" too easy? Is "hard" too difficult?

Honestly, I'd stick with normal. So far it's been refreshingly difficult, at times I've been stuck at certain bits for ages before thinking through a proper strategy and getting through with barely a scratch. It's pretty rewarding. The patch actually made easy even easier so I'd avoid it if you're looking for a challenge.

I'm loving this game to bits. Crazy addictive, challenging and just damn interesting.

Doing my first play through with a rogue has been rough. I don't have the AOE power that I would like.

If you have lots of health potions, assign a custom tactic to each of your party telling them to "use strongest health potion" when their health gets <10%.

It rinses your health potions but really helps to keep your party all alive. I got through Redcliff Village and Castle pretty easily enough on normal with my party of Alister,Morrigan and my war hound Triff at about level 7/8.

Just finished the urn of ashes quest post Redcliff - did anyone else find the gauntlet and the various bad guys you fight there very challenging - was I supposed to do that after Redcliff and going to Denerim to pick up the trail of the ashes?

Just finished the urn of ashes quest post Redcliff - did anyone else find the gauntlet and the various bad guys you fight there very challenging - was I supposed to do that after Redcliff and going to Denerim to pick up the trail of the ashes?

On normal, thats been the easiest quest so far for me. None of the enemies were difficult really. Except for the boss, but you dont even have to fight that battle.

And yeah, I did that right after redcliff.

The Fade was pretty interesting, felt a lot like the Shivering Isles in Oblivion.
The Sloth Demon fight was ****ing tough, Jesus Christ... took me like 3 tries.

I restarted. I figured my Rogue was a bit of a mess of a character (I hadn't been putting points into willpower for some twisted reason) and I also was convinced I'd missed some stuff in the wilds, which I was right about (stash of hidden Chiasim? Loot as well as summoning a beastie to fight). The perils of being a perfectionist & completist.... :rolleyes:

Cheers Feath, that is useful to know.

Is Dragon Age to Baldur's Gate as Torchlight is to Diablo?

(or however the **** that saying goes)

Is Dragon Age to Baldur's Gate as Torchlight is to Diablo?

(or however the **** that saying goes)

The setting is still a little hokey imho, however I'm impressed so far with how the quests/missions all seem to relate to the central conflict in some way (big or small) rather than NPCs asking you to do trivial stuff that seems at odds with what's going on in the world. However I'm sure there are many who've sunk more hours in who can paint you a better picture.

I'd say it's pretty damn close to Baldur's Gate.

BG2 is set in Forgotten Realms, pretty much the definitive example of a 'hokey setting'. It's still superb. What you do with the setting is the important thing.

I've received sisterly hints not to go buying any RPGs before xmas, so I gotta keep waiting :S

Well now this is interesting. After my initial start with a Dalish elf ranger I got bored and decided to restart with a different character. The new one is a human meathead tank - and the game so far is much much more absorbing than before.

My starting scenario in the castle is a lot better than that dull elf camp, and so is the combat - usually I play a ranger in most rpgs but I really think this game is more geared towards melee fighters, which seem to be a lot more fun.

you pick up a ranger a few hours into the game at lothering. suckiest member of my party

you pick up a ranger a few hours into the game at lothering. suckiest member of my party

You're doing it wrong. Give her a nice bow, get the ranger(she's a bard to begin with which is why she sucks so much. ranger != rogue) tome from the dwarf merchant in your camp, and wait till you get the talents for master ranger.

The bear is just an amazing edition to your party.

On another note, didn't they say this game was AT LEAST 60 hours long? So far the counter says 30 hours and I'm at the (supposedly) final battle in Denerim. This obviously doesn't count deaths and whatnot but still.

What the shit?

I think it takes the replayability into account.

ie: the origin stories, since depending on what race you play as and whether or not you're a noble or commoner can affect the way people respond to you.

Back