E3: S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Shadow of Chernobyl

-20 points for me

too many excuses, too many delays has killed whatever enthusiasm I had and I'm now at the point where my expectations are low to non existant. It went from one of my most anticipated to "I'll purchase it based on reviews and only then only after I've completed other more anticipated games"

Indeed, it's plain stupid that they're removing the entire survival aspect out off their SURVIVAL-FPS imo.

the whole day/night cycle thing is useless now that sleep has been removed ..it'll seem like one endless waking romp through the radiated fields of chernobyl

Yup..
As I said, I've lost pretty much all of my faith in this game..
I'm fine with'em delaying it... To make sure that all the promised features are in...
I'm NOT fine with'em delaying it... To remove features, what the f00k!?

Am I the only one who has the feeling that suddenly they think they want to simplify the game as much as possible in order to make sure it sells more...?-_-

I think they're simplifying it because they cant get other aspects of the game to work properly ..so in order to cut back on resources they've eliminated certain more complicated parts of the game ..I'm sure had they not gone through the pain of setting up the free roam aspect of the game they would have cut the ai life simulation altogether and made it more like a traditional fps (which imho would have completely killed my interest)

Well, I've seen several survival-RPGs, although not FPS succesfully implementd fatigue/sleep and fatigue/food/eat without any problems..
But yeah, it's probably a matter of them being tired of working now and deciding to skip some of the more tiresome things they have left..

at e3 developers were saying q1 2007 for release ..so you'd think they would have had plenty of time ...I wonder if they'll delay it again so they can implement dx10? :O ;)

Maybe they have already in the mean time, which is why they've been so quiet?. Might explain the Q1 2007 release.

releasing screens could reinvigorate anticipation for the game, if they've already implemented it ..but my guess is that they have enouigh problems with ai that they wouldnt add to their workload by adding dx10

I'd rather have the survival features back than dx10 graphics, there's Crysis for that!

Gargantou said:
Well, I've seen several survival-RPGs, although not FPS succesfully implementd fatigue/sleep and fatigue/food/eat without any problems..
But yeah, it's probably a matter of them being tired of working now and deciding to skip some of the more tiresome things they have left..

Those things don't seem like they'd be that difficult to implement. Borrow from other games out there.

If you want to heal yourself, take a nap to help speed things up. Additionally, the less sleep you have, the more sluggish the shooting controls should be. Make it so that the crosshair is less accurate (similar to the first couple of levels in Deus Ex) and can be improved with rest.

If you haven't eaten in a while, your speed/strength will go down. Imagine not being able to sprint or lift heavy objects/weapons because you haven't kept up your strength. Borrow the system from San Andreas where its entirely optional, but still useful to have.

This stuff should be easy to put into the game. The more difficult programming (such as the AI that mimicks living enemies) is something that I could see them struggling with. But the fatigue/food system shouldn't be that difficult to do. I'm surprised they'd take it out.

Well, I was thinking more realistic, like in UnReal World, a ugly-as-hell but deep survival-RPG, if you go on for too long without sleep, you degrade in your "skills" and success as you state, and even eventually collapse..

Either way, it isn't really a hard thing to implement because it's been done numerous times in other games already. They could either go for a passive approach with the system like they did in San Andreas, or they could go all out like in UnReal World and have it significantly impact the gameplay.

The developer's decision to dumb down the gameplay and remove these elements seems very curious to me.

I don`t care about the eat/sleep stuff. just let me explore the Zone with its day/night/weather cycles and I will be a happy gamer. I bet it will blow our socks off. go GSC!

HOLY THREAD REVIVAL!

Yes, to answer your question.
If you have the right rig to run it.

I can't recommend it enough. An excellent , atmospheric game if you have the system for it.

I heard it has outdated graphics, so it shouldn't be hard to run right?

I heard it has outdated graphics, so it shouldn't be hard to run right?

Graphics aren't terrible, but the game is still fairly demanding...huge outdoor areas and the amount of the things all happening at once... it's a resource hog.

Graphics aren't terrible, but the game is still fairly demanding...huge outdoor areas and the amount of the things all happening at once... it's a resource hog.

well, a lot of games run fine on my computer, but games like Battlefront 2 lag a little bit due to the fact that there is a lot going on at once. So would this game lag?

well, a lot of games run fine on my computer, but games like Battlefront 2 lag a little bit due to the fact that there is a lot going on at once. So would this game lag?

The best thing I can tell you is to check out the System Requirements Lab, and see if your computer can run it.

It's usually fairly accurate.

Probably. It's still an awesome game, even if it is incredibly difficult.

No, it's not worth getting. Sure, it has atmosphere, but they also threw in an assload of some of the most annoying "features" you can think of for a FPS. A horrible inventory system where you can only carry so much, your guns will eventually break, sometimes they'll just jam, and if you want ammo from a weapon a guy had you have to pick up the new gun, manually empty the ammo out, then drop the gun. You also need to eat. There's radiation spots where you need special items in order to survive. Your aim is horrible. Only headshots do much damage to enemies. Bad voice acting, except for all the russian because you can't understand it (unless you can, in which case it's probably just more bad acting). Let's see, what else... the objectives are unclear a lot of times, it's very easy to find bugs, horrible tutorial that doesn't tell you shit, you'll likely be reloading like a mad man at certain points, aaand... uhhhh, alright finally lost my train of thought there.

But hey it's got fkin atmosphere! (setting + sound)

I loved everything you just listed, except that some objectives are unclear and the damage system isn't perfect.

Wow, I passed every bit for recommended...this game isn't as intensive as I thought.
graph_all_5.gif

No, it's not worth getting. Sure, it has atmosphere, but they also threw in an assload of some of the most annoying "features" you can think of for a FPS. A horrible inventory system where you can only carry so much, your guns will eventually break, sometimes they'll just jam, and if you want ammo from a weapon a guy had you have to pick up the new gun, manually empty the ammo out, then drop the gun. You also need to eat. There's radiation spots where you need special items in order to survive. Your aim is horrible. Only headshots do much damage to enemies. Bad voice acting, except for all the russian because you can't understand it (unless you can, in which case it's probably just more bad acting). Let's see, what else... the objectives are unclear a lot of times, it's very easy to find bugs, horrible tutorial that doesn't tell you shit, you'll likely be reloading like a mad man at certain points, aaand... uhhhh, alright finally lost my train of thought there.

Easy to find mods can fix most of those things.

why in the ****ing world did you revive this dead thread?

Probably because the game just got a Steam release. :rolleyes:

Strangely enough I'd say all these 'features' are what makes Stalker an excellent game, because it deals in the realms of uncertainty, reality and choices. It's a realistic shooter in a fictional environment, so yes guns do jam, aiming is hard, and no you can't carry 8 different rifles, 7000 rounds of ammo and a rocket launcher around at the same time.

Sounds like RPGs aren't your thing.

Sounds like RPGs aren't your thing.
Only they are, and this is just a bad game that I wouldn't even consider an RPG. I can't believe you guys bought into the whole "annoying for the sake of realism" bit.

Only they are, and this is just a bad game that I wouldn't even consider an RPG. I can't believe you guys bought into the whole "annoying for the sake of realism" bit.

Meh, the only thing I dislike about it are the 15 minute load times.
But that's a problem on my part.

Everything else about it is great.

I played with 150kg inventory mod, no armor and weapon degrading mod the first time I went through it. It was really enjoyable.

The graphics (at max with Float32 (1.7088b rev A), S.H.A.R.P.E.R. and Realistic Headlamp) are geoooooorgeous. I liked how varied the AI is, though it's still exploitable. Sound is amazing, story was pretty bad, accuracy and damage are terrible, saving & loading is terrible, atmosphere is superb, gunfights are awesome, gameplay is awesome, exploring is awesome, finding alternative routes is awesome, going to places you actually shouldn't be is awesome, game is just awesome with minor flaws and annoyances.

Good atmosphere can make up for a lot. And the other way around. HL2 is a superb game, but I never really liked it cause it lacked atmosphere. EP1 was better.

{snip to reduce length]

Basically, it's horrible because you can't stand a little realism and prefer being a walking armory who absorbs ammo through his feet, is armed with indestructible weapons, unerring aim, and the ability to put holes in body armor without trying.

Also: Objectives unclear. How is "go here, get documents" unclear?

Basically, it's horrible because you can't stand a little realism and prefer being a walking armory who absorbs ammo through his feet, is armed with indestructible weapons, unerring aim, and the ability to put holes in body armor without trying.

Also: Objectives unclear. How is "go here, get documents" unclear?

It is forbidden to practice necromancy!

BURN!
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zrzMhU_4m-g[/youtube]

But the thread was dead, and it was until you ressurected it again.

Back