EA to distribute Half-Life 2, Counter-Strike: Source

Drkpwn3r said:
I've been bashing EA ever since I heard about what happened with C&C Renegade 2 :upstare:
EA just plain sucks altogether imo.

Man, I thought I was the only one who was disappointed by that.
C&C Renegade is definitely one of those underrated games... It was a damn awesome first time venture into the FPS world by Westwood...

Can't help but agree with you there.
That was really about the only game I played from Jan. '03 until the HL2 release. :eek:

i cant believe it, does this mean increased prices for valve games, EA published pc games tend to be slightly dearer, bad PR move Valve, seriously bad...

jimbo118 said:
i cant believe it, does this mean increased prices for valve games, EA published pc games tend to be slightly dearer, bad PR move Valve, seriously bad...

I dont think the prices will increase. But the worst part is that every time we I turn on the XBOX version of HL2 when it comes out, I will have to hear - "EA games- challenge everything". It almost just sucks the creativity out of Valve.:x

EA is nazis when it comes to release dates. And we all know how Valve is with delays... I dont like how its gonna turn out. EA better not force Valve to put out an unfinished project, Gabe Newell better kick some ass if that happens.

EA IS AIMING TO OWN EVERY GAME COMPANY!
pretty soon, if stuff like this keeps goin on, they will!

Interesting how EA has very few M rated games. I seriously doubt they could censor HL...or could they...?

HL2 isnt even that bad it wouldnt cost THAT much for EA to release it as a Teen game. (at least not cost that much for EA anyway...)

But god if they DO do that......I will be pissed.

EA games, Mentally chalenged whatever...

So, from this year and on we are going to have a HL sequel per year. It will be be identical to the last one and have a catchy title like : HL3, Alyxs European assult... HL will have cut sceens because gameplay videos dont make a good trailer and the King of publishers has money to spend on that theatrical one. Not to mention Gabe commiting suicide the next time he wont make the release date.

Seriously though, although nothing will change for Valve (at least I hope not), the next time I am going to read a quote from Gabe saying that independant developers are suffering and the likes of that Im gonna start roflmao...
In other words, nice going Valve...

Me personally, no matter how much people will want to kill me for saying it, am a fan of EA, i like their games really.

** Slips on Kevlar and Helmet, Selects Auto Buy and Sits in a corner stroking Pet Headcrab named BeeBop **

I don't know why you guys are complaining about EA. They made 1 of the BEST Driving/Racing Simulator Games (the NFS-Series).
They made The Sims Online, and alot of good games.

I could care less for EA to be a part of HL2. I have nothing against EA.
STEAM on the other hand... :frown:

xlucidx said:
Then EA's going to buy out most of the shares and stuff that Valve makes...
Just like they did with DICE.

God, One of my gaming fears have become realized.

One problem with EA buying shares of VALVe. VALVe is an LLC, they don't have any shares, Gabe owns the company.

at first i almost had a heart attack....but now i see that this may not be such a bad thing.

If i'm correct, Valve will continue to make games on their OWN schedule and release them through steam...then, after their games are done, they'll ask EA to publish them. That way, Valve gets to make its own games first and distribute them cheaply, then let EA handle all the mass-production stuff that they don't want to deal with for people without internet connections or for console games. As much as I hate EA, i can see why Gabe chose them--they're giant and dependable (when it comes to mass-production, that is).

Personally, I will buy my games directly from Steam, thank you very much. I try to avoid giving my money to EA.

SupaKoopa said:
at first i almost had a heart attack....but now i see that this may not be such a bad thing.

If i'm correct, Valve will continue to make games on their OWN schedule and release them through steam...then, after their games are done, they'll ask EA to publish them. That way, Valve gets to make its own games first and distribute them cheaply, then let EA handle all the mass-production stuff that they don't want to deal with for people without internet connections or for console games. As much as I hate EA, i can see why Gabe chose them--they're giant and dependable (when it comes to mass-production, that is).

Personally, I will buy my games directly from Steam, thank you very much. I try to avoid giving my money to EA.

YEah but now all of the cool valve games will have that stupid EA logo when it starts up. God I hate that!

Blah blah blah Challenge everything. GOD I HATE IT!

117 said:
YEah but now all of the cool valve games will have that stupid EA logo when it starts up. God I hate that!

Read the other thread in news.

The moment the game is released, people will find out how to get rid of the EA logo.

If they rape the shit out of the franchise like they did with MoH (which i doubt, because they would need to own Valve to do so) then it's definately a sad day.

I can see why they went with EA though. That means TV advertisements for pretty much all Valves future games, so maximum publicity. But i'd imagine EA would take a larger share of the profits than VU did. Oh well, theres always Steam.

SixThree said:
Read the other thread in news.
Listen to SixThree, gabe was emailed there wont be any EA logo\video in valve games.

Guess what, guys? Did you know that EA Taiwan publishes a PC version of Onimusha? It's true!

What the heck is Onimusha and what does that have to do with EA publishing Valve products?

every disc EA puts out is made by little hands in sweat shops.. probably.

i really hate EA, i mean, they put out good games, hell, freedom fighters is one of my favorities, but the problem is they are content with just "good" and not "great" so many of their games could be better, but aren't because it won't impact sales.

and that whole thing with Gabe talking about how independent developers are struggling, and then making a deal with the mosnter EA, yea, pretty disgusting

http://www.gamespot.com/news/2005/07/18/news_6129331.html
Just over three months ago, one of the most contentious relationships in game history came to an end. On April 28, after months of overt legal disputes and covert bickering, VU Games and Valve Software announced they were ending a half-decade-long publishing deal. The arrangement saw the former publish the latter's groundbreaking PC first-person shooters Half-Life, Counter-Strike, and Half-Life 2.

However, Valve's next console game--after the PlayStation 2 Half-Life and the Xbox Counter-Strike--will be distributed by one of VU's main rivals. Today, Electronic Arts revealed that as of this fall, it will be the international publisher of the forthcoming Xbox version of Half-Life 2, which will now ship in October 2005. EA will also assume distribution duties on a new Game of the Year edition of Half-Life 2 for the PC, which will include Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source, as well as Half-Life 2: Deathmatch and Half-Life: Source, in a single box.

However, Valve will now officially self-publish all its PC products, although the newly announced--and carefully worded--agreement will let EA "deliver a collection of Valve games to players worldwide" in the future.

"We consider Half-Life and Counter-Strike to be two of the best game franchises of all time," said Tom Frisina, vice president and general manager of EA Partners, in a statement. "We could not be more excited to have the opportunity to help deliver these outstanding games to players around the globe."

Valve founder and president Gabe Newell had similarly kind words. "By combining EA's unparalleled operation structure and distribution channel with Valve's award-winning development teams and games community, we've established an awesome combination for delivering great products to console and PC gamers around the world," he said.

The EA-Valve arrangement covers the boxed, retail editions of Half-Life 2 and Counter-Strike: Source but does not affect digitally distributed versions of the game. As before, those games will be delivered and updated via Steam, Valve's online service.
Has this been added in at Gamespot or was it omitted by the thread starter?

it made me laugh too, and then i realized how sad and true it was... why am i even alive?

Is everybody ignoring my last post or do I just not understand the meaning of the words in bold? Valve will self-publish their PC products but EA will handle the boxed retail game (and "not affect digitally distributed versions of the game"). Sounds like more of a reason to buy through Steam.

Two things.

One its only for distribution. EA is only handling what steam can't handle. Retail box copies. That said, I wouldn't worry. First off, Valve can sue for independence again!

Secondly, with steam, Valve is untouchable. All Valve has to do is split, sell the franchise to the "son of valve" and EA will no longer have Half-Life. Valve will die, and the new valve will live. Valve is not going to let an EA takeover occur. That said, I'd figure that Valve would go for someone else. Ubisoft comes to mind.

xzeox said:
EA IS AIMING TO OWN EVERY GAME COMPANY!
pretty soon, if stuff like this keeps goin on, they will!
Thank god for Ubisoft.

r2000 said:
Secondly, with steam, Valve is untouchable. All Valve has to do is split, sell the franchise to the "son of valve" and EA will no longer have Half-Life. Valve will die, and the new valve will live. Valve is not going to let an EA takeover occur.

EA CAN NOT, I repeat, can NOT take over Valve through anything but Valve selling the company directly to EA. Valve was NOT purchased by EA in this deal. Valve is SELF-FUNDED. Valve is a privately owned company which means EA can't buy 51% of it's stock (Since Valve has no stock) to take control. There is NO way, short of Gabe Newell sticking up a "For Sale" sign that EA can take control of Valve or Valve's franchises. EA can't even threaten to delay Valve's releases since their main source of income will be from standard retail releases and Steam; not console releases or compilations.

Wow. They left Vivendi and then took a step downwards! Hard to believe...

...I guess this isn't too bad after all.
If the game is untouchable digitally...maybe this means way better boxes? :D

reading this it's only for the console versions.

really could care less.

:p

Back