Early Access: Thoughts/Opinions?

Wheaties-Of-Doom

Space Core
Reaction score
So I'm wondering, what is the general consensus on 'Early Access' games? What do you personally think of the system? Does it work or not, and for which games?

(Yes, I'm trying to get a conversation started using 'buzz-word' topics. Deal with it.)

I think it totally works, but only for certain developers. It would be (and is) extremely foolish for most developers to jump on board in order to make their money throughout the cost of development when they can't reliably guarantee quality or a finished product.

The thing I like about playing a game that is constantly updating is that it's sometimes more worthwhile to experience the game piecemeal than all at once. It's fun to see what new features and content have arrived in a patch.

And from the developer's side of it, the community feedback is invaluable for avoiding bad design decisions, and of course for entirely new ideas the devs wouldn't have thought of on their own. Having a huge test bed of users (and configurations) also makes releases go a lot more smoothly.

One bad side for me is having to see people who are completely ignorant as to how game development works. I could rant for hours on this, but I won't bother. I love when developers are totally transparent about their progress (or lack thereof) and it irritates me when people take that for granted and just criticize everything they do.

And then they claim the devs are abandoning them once they stop updating and finalize the product... it's mind numbing.

I'd rather play finished games, because I tend to get bored while waiting for the good features and then lose interest in the game. By the time its done and I try it again, if its multiplayer then I completely lose interest in the first hour because I know everyone is already a hundred+ hours more experienced in the game and I don't feel like im on an equal playing field and can't get into it as a result. I guess if its single player it might be different, but I can't think of any early access games I have played that were SP.

But mainly I just lose interest because its boring/buggy when I play it. Its been a very few times that I even come back to it when its done. In fact, its been very few games that I bought that have actually been finished.

I really want to play project zomboid, but I have decided not to buy any early access games anymore at all to avoid buying something in a state that will cause me to stop liking it before its even released.

I think in some cases it's just a cheap marketing technique that people are actually falling for hook, line, and sinker.

In some cases, like Rust, it's clear that the devs are dedicated to providing a great product. I can't say the same for some others. Archeage for instance is going to be "free to play" once it is released, but they're charging $150 for early access.

Not to mention that horrid DayZ standalone that is in permanent alpha. I'm glad there are community mods like ARMA3 Breaking Point that are actually free and are far better

Not to mention that horrid DayZ standalone that is in permanent alpha. I'm glad there are community mods like ARMA3 Breaking Point that are actually free and are far better
You're severely misinformed.

You're also stupid, because in one sentence you praise Rust (which has been in alpha longer than DayZ) for wanting to deliver a great product, then you say DayZ is horrid because they're taking too long. Rust is going through a complete redevelopment of the entire game just so they can deliver a great product, which pushes back the release date much farther than what it would have been. But DayZ is somehow terrible because it's also taking its time to deliver something the devs can be proud of, and that will offer significantly more than a mod could ever hope to?

I think in some cases it's just a cheap marketing technique that people are actually falling for hook, line, and sinker.

I admit, I've heard similar accounts; although, I'v never run into such games myself. Then again, all I've played of Early Access games are Starbound and Robot Roller-Darby Disco Dodge-ball. (oh and I own Divinity: Original Sin, but I have yet to get around to it. :p ) So far, my experience with the platform has been pretty positive.

I remember a couple of years back, the developers could not earn money by making an unfinished game. With early access, they can. Also they weren't charging for valuable feedback to the game.

imo, it's just a bad business practice.

But I suppose it works as a financial boost. Early access might as well just have been donation instead.

I remember a couple of years back, the developers could not earn money by making an unfinished game. With early access, they can.
Not exactly. When you buy an early access game on Steam, you are owed the finished product as advertised. You are buying the finished game, with the ability to play it as it develops. The developers are still earning money from making a finished game, with the difference that they can make some sales earlier instead of later. Abandoning your game before it's finished would mean you have to refund everyone.

Also they weren't charging for valuable feedback to the game.
You act like they're forcing people to buy it or give feedback. This may be a shock to you, but many people like playing early access games. And some even like giving feedback to a game that they want to see improved. Isn't that crazy?

Early access might as well just have been donation instead.
Here we're back to your misunderstanding of what buying an early access game means. How is buying a game a donation? By that logic, preordering is even more of a donation, because you don't even get to play anything in return until the game's done!

Okay, let's get something straight.

The idea of Early Acces is pretty good. It gives financial boost to the game developing studio, while creating fans and hype. (Except if the game is bad) Actually, I love the idea. Instead of being lucky to get into a beta, you can just buy the game and get free access. It's a nice little touch for bored and hyped people.

But the system encourages the development studio to sit on their ass all day long. Their already fed up with income, that they might as well just finish the game where it stands and produce the next early-acces zombie game. Or, they can just sit with an unfinished game, stall as much as they can, and earn money by doing close to absoluteley nothing.

You see, the studios are required to finish the game. But Valve says nothing about how long it should take to finish a game. So, in theory, they can sit on their asses, doing small patches to their game, while getting paid for doing so. Even if it says in FAQ to watch out what game you buy, people still buy unactive games because it looks cool.

Plus, the developers can just crank out a half-hearted excuse about how it's not finished, so you can't complain about the bugs in the game. So, ultimately, they don't have to fix bugs, they don't have to develop the game, and they can still earn more money, rather than finishing the game.

Valve gave the choice for developers to do what they wan't. It's not always a really good idea to start out like that.

But the system encourages the development studio to sit on their ass all day long.
It does? Can you point to actual cases of this? I could spin that logic right around and say that people buying their game puts even more pressure on them to finish it and meet expectations. Without early access or preorders, they aren't being held accountable by thousands or millions of customers.

So, in theory, they can sit on their asses, doing small patches to their game, while getting paid for doing so.
Your theory stinks. Developers don't make money by doing nothing. The longer a game spends in development, the more money it costs. Where do you think the money is coming from for these employees to get paid? That money is finite, and if they take 5 years to make the game, they're going to tap it dry and possibly get into serious debt if they don't finish the game and have to refund all sales. There is zero incentive to "sit on their asses." You act like they can stay in early access for as long as they want and continue to get a steady rate of purchases while doing absolutely nothing. It does not work that way. Like I said before, show me a game studio that has actually done this that didn't turn out to be an obvious fraud in which the studio lost big time in the end. You're making these criticisms that have no basis either in reality or logic.

I believe he is confusing his opinions on Kickstarter games and Early Access games.

Let me ask you this question.

Is it okay to charge more for a beta/alpha than the finished product?

No, it's not. They earn more money than what they would have by finishing the product. And by that, the developers will stay in early access to earn more money! And let me tell you, it's easier to work on something slowly, instead of starting a new project.

I mean, look at this monstrosity! http://store.steampowered.com/app/226860/?snr=1_200_200_Early Access_104_3

92,99 euro for a game that haven't even passed alpha? Why would anyone charge so much for an unfinished product? Yeah, they propably need the money to develop the game, but why jump out into such a horribly big project without staying inside your predictable budget?

However, a good example of early access, would indeed be Minecraft. They charged 10 dollars for an alpha. Then they moved 10 more dollars up when it came to Beta. And when it hit release, it was full price. And, you got the full game too by buying the early versions. It might not have been on Steam, but Minecraft's system is similar to the early access system.

Yes, I am aware that most studios charge normal price, and everyone includes the finished game. But I still find it a stupid system, as there is no limit to how long you can stay in early access.

You're severely misinformed.

You're also stupid, because in one sentence you praise Rust (which has been in alpha longer than DayZ) for wanting to deliver a great product, then you say DayZ is horrid because they're taking too long. Rust is going through a complete redevelopment of the entire game just so they can deliver a great product, which pushes back the release date much farther than what it would have been. But DayZ is somehow terrible because it's also taking its time to deliver something the devs can be proud of, and that will offer significantly more than a mod could ever hope to?

DayZ isn't horrid because it's taking long. DayZ is horrid because it's a shitty game. It's also horrid because, despite their funding and development time, they are not providing a superior product, they are providing an inferior product. And now that Dean Hall got paid he is calling it quits. Sorry, but Breaking Point is a far more complete mod than DayZ will ever be as a full game

Is it okay to charge more for a beta/alpha than the finished product?
Way to completely abandon your other points and hop onto a completely new one.

So now you're asking what I think about games that charge more during early access than they would on release. Notice how that wording is slightly more accurate than the way you put it: You are still buying the full game. You are not paying more for an alpha, you are paying more for the full game with alpha access. Once again, the developer isn't forcing anybody to buy it. You are in charge of your own wallet. If you don't think the game is worth that much, then don't get it. I think it's ridiculous how much money people spend on year after year of WoW subscriptions but I'm not going to cry about it. Apparently it's worth it to those people.

And you've once again failed to explain to me how developers are making money by taking forever to release a game. All you've said is that doing less work is easier. That wasn't the debate. A developer cannot stay above water by staying in early access without actually putting out updates that will attract more sales. There is not an infinite supply of customers that keep buying a game that looks more and more like it's dead.

DayZ isn't horrid because it's taking long. DayZ is horrid because it's a shitty game. It's also horrid because, despite their funding and development time, they are not providing a superior product, they are providing an inferior product. And now that Dean Hall got paid he is calling it quits. Sorry, but Breaking Point is a far more complete mod than DayZ will ever be as a full game
Gosh, you sure know a lot about what the game is going to be like when it's done! Are you from the future?

DayZ's development thus far has been about creating a solid and robust foundation. Something that a mod is not capable of doing. What realm of logic are you using to reach the conclusion that a game in which the developers have complete control over the engine will never be as good as a mod, which can only pile scripts onto an engine that wasn't designed for having thousands of zombies and items on the map?

Of course Breaking Point is a more complete experience than the DayZ alpha is right now. But how is Breaking Point going to optimize the netcode? It can't. How is it going to optimize the AI? It can't. How is it going to optimize anything but its own scripts? How is it going to stop hackers? How is it going to change anything in the engine to suit it more for a zombie apocalypse game? The mod has a very low ceiling because of those. There isn't much room left to expand, because scripts can only give you so much. Bohemia Interactive knows this (and don't tell me they don't know their own engine) which is why they changed the project scope of the original DayZ Standalone from a more complete mod into an engine rewrite.

You further demonstrate how misinformed (or stupid) you are by talking about Dean "calling it quits." Dean has not left the project. He is going to continue with his role until he feels his contribution would be more of a hindrance than a help. There comes a point when a project manager who is great at coming up with ideas has nothing left to do, and it's usually when the game is feature complete. Now, take a moment to comprehend that and tell me what problem you have with this concept. If he's still needed, he's still involved. If he was truly interested in simply taking the money and leaving, he would have left by now. Maybe you haven't seen him in videos or on reddit, but this man has serious passion for his game, and a lot of expectations to meet.

Way to completely abandon your other points and hop onto a completely new one.

So now you're asking what I think about games that charge more during early access than they would on release. Notice how that wording is slightly more accurate than the way you put it: You are still buying the full game. You are not paying more for an alpha, you are paying more for the full game with alpha access. Once again, the developer isn't forcing anybody to buy it. You are in charge of your own wallet. If you don't think the game is worth that much, then don't get it. I think it's ridiculous how much money people spend on year after year of WoW subscriptions but I'm not going to cry about it. Apparently it's worth it to those people.

And you've once again failed to explain to me how developers are making money by taking forever to release a game. All you've said is that doing less work is easier. That wasn't the debate. A developer cannot stay above water by staying in early access without actually putting out updates that will attract more sales. There is not an infinite supply of customers that keep buying a game that looks more and more like it's dead.

Gosh, you sure know a lot about what the game is going to be like when it's done! Are you from the future?

DayZ's development thus far has been about creating a solid and robust foundation. Something that a mod is not capable of doing. What realm of logic are you using to reach the conclusion that a game in which the developers have complete control over the engine will never be as good as a mod, which can only pile scripts onto an engine that wasn't designed for having thousands of zombies and items on the map?

Of course Breaking Point is a more complete experience than the DayZ alpha is right now. But how is Breaking Point going to optimize the netcode? It can't. How is it going to optimize the AI? It can't. How is it going to optimize anything but its own scripts? How is it going to stop hackers? How is it going to change anything in the engine to suit it more for a zombie apocalypse game? The mod has a very low ceiling because of those. There isn't much room left to expand, because scripts can only give you so much. Bohemia Interactive knows this (and don't tell me they don't know their own engine) which is why they changed the project scope of the original DayZ Standalone from a more complete mod into an engine rewrite.

You further demonstrate how misinformed (or stupid) you are by talking about Dean "calling it quits." Dean has not left the project. He is going to continue with his role until he feels his contribution would be more of a hindrance than a help. There comes a point when a project manager who is great at coming up with ideas has nothing left to do, and it's usually when the game is feature complete. Now, take a moment to comprehend that and tell me what problem you have with this concept. If he's still needed, he's still involved. If he was truly interested in simply taking the money and leaving, he would have left by now. Maybe you haven't seen him in videos or on reddit, but this man has serious passion for his game, and a lot of expectations to meet.

tldr....

Early access hasn't been a thing for very long, and the life cycle of game development is usually longer than how long it has been since they started popping up all over. All I can think of off the top of my head is Minecraft and Arma 3. What point are you trying to make here? That all developers who offer early access are lazy and/or scammers? How many games can you name off the top of your head that have an early access period and have been in development for longer than they should? How can you make such a judgement?

A developer cannot stay above water by staying in early access without actually putting out updates that will attract more sales. There is not an infinite supply of customers that keep buying a game that looks more and more like it's dead.

I'm sorry if this sounds really ridicoulous, but that was what I was trying to say all the time.

The developers cannot stay afloat by making no updates in a year. They have to try and make it look like an active game, by doing small updates. So no, they can't earn money by literally doing nothing. But, the system can be exploited by developers, which is what I think about the system. You can work really slow, and earn money all the time. As long as people are buying your game, then there will be no problem getting your monthly paychecks. As I said earlier, there is no limitation to how long you can have your game in Early Access. This is a problem, because all they can do, is make small updates to the game, and make it seem like active. It's not a question about the price, it's more a question about how much they can expand the development stage, and earn money in the development stage.

In my opinion, some games are just bait for hyped people. But, I still think that early access is pretty cool. I definetely don't wan't it to go, as it is a good idea. Just a bit flawed, tbh.

edit: Just realised how big of a hypocrit I sound like. I think these are my final thoughts and words on Early Access.

II said earlier, there is no limitation to how long you can have your game in Early Access.
And I said earlier, yes there is a limitation, and it's money. They have to eventually finish the game. If they do not, they lose everything. If they do, then what's the problem? So people had to wait longer than they expected. Yeah it sucks, but at least they got what they paid for. And now the developer has a shitty reputation. In the end, they don't end up with more money than they would have if they had released the game quicker. The ratio of income to expenses can invert pretty quickly after the initial hype is gone. And any sales they make during early access means less sales when it's released (and the early access price is usually less, so that's less money for them).

I just don't see any developers currently out there that are successfully employing this theory of yours. The early access scams I do know about were fairly obvious from the beginning, and people got refunded because the product did not perform as advertised. See: WarZ. Consumers are not as helpless as you seem to think, and making money off them is not as easy as working on a game as slowly as possible. Sales are finite. You will run out of buyers during early access, and then you're left with a shitty reputation, and if you do manage to finish the game, there won't be many more sales to come. The math just isn't there. You can't make more money by taking longer to develop the game, unless you're selling on a platform that doesn't have safe refunding like Steam does. What I'm trying to say is that this scheme would hurt the developers more than it could ever hurt the customers.

Of course you can't be in early access 10 or 5 years straight. I'm just saying that early access system has the potential to be exploited. Let me show you.

Less than 1 year in early access: Decent Income, and the finished product will have high profit.

1-2 years in early access: High income, low expectations. Average income for the finished product.

2-3 years in early access: Same as before, bored fans, dead expectations. Very low sales for the finished product.

All this depends, if the game is hyped/good. But either way, the longer you develop, the worse it gets. But, if you seem to keep it to where the fans are still excited, the finished product will have high sales, and you will also get the early access bonus money. That is what I was reffering to the last couple of posts.

Compared to the traditional way of developing the game, you won't get any bonus. It's just my personal opinion, but I think it's a cheap marketing technique, that should only be used by indie or desperate studios( even though it pretty much is) . It can also hurt both the consumer and the developers. It just depends on how much time you use developing.

P.S. This is not a problem right now. But I believe it has the potential to grow.

This is probably not a good thing, but lolcomputer is actually starting to sway me, at least with his second to last post above mine. I can definitely see some/many developers using this as a way to bring in a lot of cash based on the potential of their idea, spend a year or two or three releasing incremental, small updates to make it look like its progressing, then cutting off development wherever it happens to be and calling it the finished product. Technically they've fulfilled their end of the deal by "finishing" their game, which for any legal purpose just means simply calling the last version of the software "final". Plenty of games do this already, but the difference is they have to make the game entirely and have reviews based on the final product which can help people avoid garbage, but with early access games its impossible to tell if upstart developers are going to come through, or just coast a bit and then whenever they get bored call their game done.

Its like paying contractors their full fee up front to make your fancy porch, with the only contractual obligation being that they make a platform out of some kind of wood. They could just glue some wood together, nail it on some posts they stick in the ground, leaving you with a rickety, unsafe and ugly "porch" and walk away with your 8 grand or whatever that you could have paid some more reputable person to make a nice high quality one. With games its not like there's a regulatory system in place to make sure products are delivered as initially described, or up to any sort of standards.

Technically they've fulfilled their end of the deal by "finishing" their game, which for any legal purpose just means simply calling the last version of the software "final". Plenty of games do this already, but the difference is they have to make the game entirely and have reviews based on the final product which can help people avoid garbage, but with early access games its impossible to tell if upstart developers are going to come through, or just coast a bit and then whenever they get bored call their game done.
With games its not like there's a regulatory system in place to make sure products are delivered as initially described, or up to any sort of standards.
I think you're oversimplifying it. WarZ called their game finished too, but it failed to deliver features that were written on the product page. So you're dead wrong on that, there is a regulatory system in place. Steam removed the game because it did not deliver what was described. Steam has standards. I don't know why you think it doesn't. This is not a matter of "is the game done? okay, you're good to go!" People tend to buy into early access games based on promised features. If not every one of those features are implemented and working, you can get a refund through Steam. Can't say the same for anything outside of Steam, but if you're buying early access games outside of Steam, one should be wary of shitty developers. Due diligence and all.

I honestly had no idea about the WarZ thing. I take it all back then. My opinion of Valve/Steam is further improved upon learning of this. Couldn't really ask for better judges either.

I don't have much to add at this point, but this is an incredibly fascinating thread to me. I've been writing a new game for the last two years and I don't really know very much about this early access model or whether or not it will work with a 2D, multiplayer, action, game. Does early access work if nobody knows who you are?

I'm going to be releasing a "free to play" alpha of my new game in a few months before releasing a paid version perhaps in a year or so. Is this a logical avenue to pursue? Is this considered early access? How would you handle releasing something like this? I'm a firm believer in having something concrete and fun before releasing anything to anyone so I never considered Kickstarter, Greenlight or asking for money from anyone upfront. Maybe I'm leaving development costs on the table? I don't know.

I'm not a software company, just one person, I've spent ALL of my free time for years building this and it's become a big part of my life. It's costing me money every month for dedicated servers, while it's bringing in nothing at all. I'm not sure what the best way to go about a release like this would be. It seems like the feedback, game play ideas and community building before release is monumentally important. Again, not knowing much about the early access model it seems to me that not having early access makes it impossible for someone like me to get word mouth out there.

Again, nothing to add, but interested in everyone's opinions.

What point are you trying to make here? That all developers who offer early access are lazy and/or scammers? How many games can you name off the top of your head that have an early access period and have been in development for longer than they should?

DayZ...

You've already made it clear that you know very little about what they're doing with the engine, since you think a development team that is working with the people who made the engine can never achieve what a mod of that same engine can achieve. And you've yet to explain how that makes any sense at all, other than pointing out the obvious fact that BP is currently a more complete experience than an alpha.

So pick another game, or explain your reasoning, or get out of this thread if the kind of responses you're going to give me include "tldr"

I'm going to be releasing a "free to play" alpha of my new game in a few months before releasing a paid version perhaps in a year or so. Is this a logical avenue to pursue? Is this considered early access? How would you handle releasing something like this? I'm a firm believer in having something concrete and fun before releasing anything to anyone so I never considered Kickstarter, Greenlight or asking for money from anyone upfront. Maybe I'm leaving development costs on the table? I don't know.
The business plan "Early Access" is basically just a pre-order that gives you access to the alpha/beta, so your free to play format isn't the 'official' idea of Early Access. If the servers are going to be a drain on your personal funds, I would suggest at least some form of income from the game. You could take the Early Access rout, or you could whore some space out for advertisements. If you do take the advertisements, I personally* think optional ads would be the best; so any beta tester would have the opportunity to view an ad in exchange for some in-game currency or something.

Basically; Early Access can work, but be aware that there are other options.

Sorry if my advice isn't much help. :p

*I am not a professional in any sense of the word. My advice should be taken with critical analysis. Please do not hold me responsible for any issues that said advice could cause.

Does early access work if nobody knows who you are?

In short, no. Most people are going to ditch any unfamliar game, especially if the game doesn't have any eye candy. There might be very few people who browse the early access store, but you still have a very small chance that they will purchase the game. Plus, early access titles doesn't go to the frontpage.

My suggestion is taking your game to RPS. It will get people to know about your game, and your community will slowly start to grow. They have some requirements however. If your game is a console exclusive, you won't get a spotlight. You also require some footage of the game, so if you feel that game doesn't look good enough, you can wait a bit and work on it. You might also wan't to get blog, or twitter so people can follow your progression.

This might help you: http://www.rockpapershotgun.com/hey-prs-and-developers/

If they deny you, you can always contact other places.

After that, you can start using early access. Especially if you think, that your budget won't hold for the rest of the development. The money you will recieve will (hopefully) not make you bankrupt. On top of the income you get, you will also get some valuable feedback. That will definetely help development as it grows.

There is however another choice. If you have the budget to survive the whole development stage, you can begin an open alpha/beta. Nothing will get your game more played than a free and low required game. And this will help your community grow a lot.

Once your community have grown, you will have more sales, and you will also earn a couple of fans. Do note, that you cannot start using early access or an open alpha/beta if nobody knows about your game. Contact the gaming press, and share the word of your game.

Hope this helps, and good luck. (Out of curiosity, what is the name of your game?)

You've already made it clear that you know very little about what they're doing with the engine, since you think a development team that is working with the people who made the engine can never achieve what a mod of that same engine can achieve. And you've yet to explain how that makes any sense at all, other than pointing out the obvious fact that BP is currently a more complete experience than an alpha.

So pick another game, or explain your reasoning, or get out of this thread if the kind of responses you're going to give me include "tldr"

Actually, Breaking Point is still in alpha as well. And you call me ignorant, rofl. But guess what, they're not going to stop developing the mod and scrap everything, only to start over and charge $30 to playtest the same game (with fewer features). But hey, at least you can change clothes in DayZ now lmao

Thank you guys, both, for your thoughts. There are no bad suggestions or advice, W-O-D.

Lolcomputer, I had heard of RPS, but just assumed they were a simple gaming e-mag or something. I never knew they did this sort of thing. Very interesting, thanks a lot for bringing it to my attention. I will certainly pursue this. Are there any other sites, or at least google terms I could use to find other similar sites? I should be okay money-wise to get through development so I'm definitely doing free, public alpha and betas. Ultimately there will be a free ad-supported version if I can get enough butts in the seats.

I have a stable, playable version right now which I need to test a few more times. Still tons of features to add, but I have a decent foundation now. Once I finish a few more features and finish building a simple website, I'll invite everyone here to check it out. I'm hoping this will be in two months max. The name of the game is "Embers of Humanity" which is a 2D, Multiplayer, Online only, Spaceship Combat game with some MOBA style game play modes and features. The idea is to release a new game play mode every 6 months after initial release. If anyone has ever heard of an old MS-DOS game called Star Control you can get an idea of the basics of the combat and visual perspective.

If anyone knows any 2D graphic artists interested in side work, let me know.

Thanks again for your input, you'r suggestions are very valuable to me.

I'll answer some of your questions.

Are there any other sites, or at least google terms I could use to find other similar sites?

Do note, that only RPS does this kind of thing, where you can just send in your game and boom. However, you can personally contact a writer, and tell about your game. I believe this is the lesser way of doing it, but make sure that you don't waste yours or his time. Make sure he reviews indie games, or if he usually review unusual games. If everything fails, you can always go on reddit or some other forum and tell about your game. You might even just post youtube videos, or go on IndieDB and see how many will have interest.

Before you start showing your game off, you should desgin your own website and post regular updates.
If anyone knows any 2D graphic artists interested in side work, let me know.

There are a bunch of freelancers and contractors out there. I'll list some.

These aren't neccesarily game artists, but they might have some use: https://www.elance.com/q/find-freelancers

http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/5952-2d-art-gui-artist-for-hire/
http://www.html5gamedevs.com/topic/2902-2d-game-artist-for-hire/
http://wayofthepixel.net/index.php?topic=16044.0
http://forums.indiegamer.com/showthread.php?35654-2D-artist-for-hire
http://boardgamegeek.com/thread/1041835/2d-game-artist-for-hire
http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/166730-Experienced-3D-2D-Artist-for-Hire-Negotiable-Rates
https://www.elance.com/r/contractors/q-2d game art

Once again, I wish you good luck in the future.

edit: Gamedev Stackexchange is a good source of infomation. You might wan't to check there, if you have any questions. http://gamedev.stackexchange.com/

Hey, that sounds like a neat concept for a game. You should definitely start up a thread when the alpha is released, I'm sure some members would be into testing it!

Actually, Breaking Point is still in alpha as well. And you call me ignorant, rofl. But guess what, they're not going to stop developing the mod and scrap everything, only to start over and charge $30 to playtest the same game (with fewer features). But hey, at least you can change clothes in DayZ now lmao
What does it matter if Breaking Point is in alpha? It's completely irrelevant to my point, which you missed. I was pointing out that your comparison between DayZ and BP was meaningless because your only basis is that BP happens to currently be a more complete experience than DayZ. That's great that they're still working on it, but they still can't address any of the major roadblocks I pointed out. And you can't address those either, because you argue like a 12 year old with ADD.

Your second point devolves into nonsense. Why exactly is it bad that a full standalone game scraps everything from the mod version? Thank god it did. I don't want a game being developed by people who have access to the engine to be using the same poorly optimized scripts that a mod would use. And are you seriously moaning about them charging $30 for early access? Millions of people apparently are okay with that, and the developers have been putting that income to good use by expanding both their team and number of offices, and in turn the project's scope. If it weren't for these early access sales, the game would end up being less than it could have been without this influx of early sales.

What does it matter if Breaking Point is in alpha? It's completely irrelevant to my point, which you missed. I was pointing out that your comparison between DayZ and BP was meaningless because your only basis is that BP happens to currently be a more complete experience than DayZ. That's great that they're still working on it, but they still can't address any of the major roadblocks I pointed out. And you can't address those either, because you argue like a 12 year old with ADD.

I didn't see anything worth replying to. Not going to spend precious hours out of my day replying to you ****ing nerds. But the netcode in DayZ is awful, worse than ARMA3.

Your second point devolves into nonsense. Why exactly is it bad that a full standalone game scraps everything from the mod version? Thank god it did. I don't want a game being developed by people who have access to the engine to be using the same poorly optimized scripts that a mod would use. And are you seriously moaning about them charging $30 for early access? Millions of people apparently are okay with that, and the developers have been putting that income to good use by expanding both their team and number of offices, and in turn the project's scope. If it weren't for these early access sales, the game would end up being less than it could have been without this influx of early sales.

You sound like you're making excuses for a game that is dead in the water.

#Incoming 4 paragraphs

Stop posting

I started posting here long before you, and I will be posting long after you've gone. You are just some noob who joined up after HL2 was already over. I guarantee I would rape you in Chivalry or any other game that isn't in perma-paid-alpha. Add me on steam and we'll play a few rounds. Loser has to leave valve time for good

That's the sad part. You must be in your 20s by now, but you act like a child. An obnoxious child who didn't get enough love or attention.

Back