Easiest way to stop Bullseye network etc.

£

£50 Scent

Hi, does anyone know the easiest way to stop crappy stuff like Bullseye network, shopservicesathome (or whatever) etc. from being uploaded into your machine and automatically installed. I think that .dll (dynamic link libraries) are uploaded to \Windows\Downloaded Program files folder and then self-extract themselves.

These things can come back on in minutes after you clear them. I HATE THEM, AAARGH, HATE, HATE THEM!!! :flame: :flame: :flame: :flame:

Without messing about for ages I do not know how to stop them from being uploaded, I am hoping that someone has already done this and can tell me to save me time and frustration.

I am using WinXp SP2 with anti-virus s/w installed.

Thanks.

www.lavasoft.com
download adaware, oh and there is this new microsoft thing which is good + spybot which does a constant scan. Spysweeper is good but only if your willing to pay for it. Most of the time when you think you have a virus its adware or spyware buggering you up so make sure you do regular scans.

Fat Tony! said:
www.lavasoft.com
download adaware, oh and there is this new microsoft thing which is good + spybot which does a constant scan. Spysweeper is good but only if your willing to pay for it. Most of the time when you think you have a virus its adware or spyware buggering you up so make sure you do regular scans.

Hmm, thanks but no. I do not like that anti-spyware stuff much better - it slows things down and usually does a crappy job.

I was looking for a method of blocking the uploading w/o consent such as a change to firewall/ie settings.

Spybot and Ad-Aware will do a better job than what you seem to be suggesting.

Use them like everyone else with half a brain does.

£50 Scent said:
Hmm, thanks but no. I do not like that anti-spyware stuff much better - it slows things down and usually does a crappy job.

I was looking for a method of blocking the uploading w/o consent such as a change to firewall/ie settings.

In the end spyware is going to slow down your machine more. And at least with anti-spyware you get the option to turn it off.

I got a program called spybot - search and destroy, and I think this program immunizes your system, so even when it is turned off, IE is configured to refuse things. Also you could try adjusting your security settings for IE.

For, me Spybot -search and destroy and the microsoft one are really good, they always block things from intefering with my system, and they are free. No catches.

Mr.Wotsit said:
Spybot and Ad-Aware will do a better job than what you seem to be suggesting.

Use them like everyone else with half a brain does.

I used Ad-Aware for the longest time until I discovered that I had that BargainsBuddy crap. Ad-Aware wasn't even detecting it, so I switched to Spybot and was able to get rid of it (plus a few other spyware stuff I wasn't even aware of.

Therefore I recommend Spybot - Search and Destroy.

By the way, does anyone know what "DSO Exploit" is? On every PC that I've seen running Spybot, this always comes up in the search.

Kangy said:
Doesn't Firefox take care of that crap?
Pretty much yeah. Very little crap gets through on firefox, no popups period, no rouge cookies, no installing anything you didn't specifically ask for, blocking silly slowing down ads, blocking vibrantmedia etc. etc. etc.

-

@ the original poster.. You don't want to use anti-spyware programs? Madness, thats like saying "I don't want to use a firewall cause it slows things down a little bit"

These things aren't running full time, spybot can install a small app that runs constantly, but it doesn't have an effect on the system, simply blocks extra crap.

Also spybot has an automatic list of bad sites that you can add to your hosts file, which effectively makes it impossible for the sites to download anything to your machine, cause you can't connect to the sites no more (it tells your PC that www.examplesite.com's IP is 127.0.0.1 which stops it from being accessable from your end.) Course you can add to the hosts file like that manually, but a few hundred or more, thats a lot of effort when it does most itself.

Get rid of IE use one of those alternate browsers most people use firefox, there is opera and a few other things, I use maxthon which is quite simular to the layout of IE so its kind of useful.

Now as for anti-adware stuff slowing you pc down rubbish, considering you run a scan, delete the adware then you exit the program so it no longer runs in your memory. Unless you have a really shitty computer it shouldnt make a difference. Dont use spybot since it runs constantly, (since your fussed about that) use adware which is defainly the best one and try the microsoft one too.

As the above posters said, drop IE, get FireFox, and use spyware removal tools.

Fat Tony! said:
Get rid of IE use one of those alternate browsers most people use firefox, there is opera and a few other things, I use maxthon which is quite simular to the layout of IE so its kind of useful.

Now as for anti-adware stuff slowing you pc down rubbish, considering you run a scan, delete the adware then you exit the program so it no longer runs in your memory. Unless you have a really shitty computer it shouldnt make a difference. Dont use spybot since it runs constantly, (since your fussed about that) use adware which is defainly the best one and try the microsoft one too.
Only part of Spybot runs all the time, and thats only if you want it to. The proper part of it doesn't just like ad-aware.

I suggest you have a full range of anti-spyware software instead of just one.

Don't just choose one of them and go with it...

Wow.. you people realllly seem to like anti spy/ad ware programs dont ya..?
Woulnd't it just be easier to pay attention to what you're doing so you don't get unwanted software in the first place?
And in the off change you do; just remove it yourself...

Ikerous said:
Wow.. you people realllly seem to like anti spy/ad ware programs dont ya..?
Woulnd't it just be easier to pay attention to what you're doing so you don't get unwanted software in the first place?
And in the off change you do; just remove it yourself...

It's easier to just click Scan Now.... :thumbs:

Hey, it's like a condom.
"You should be careful who you sleep with so you don't get any unwanted infections" or you can use a condom.

That's my analogy and I'm sticking to it.

Same goes for anti-virus software and firewalls. And some people don't have control over their computer all the time, sometimes family members use it.

Truth is, a lot of these spyware programs use sneaky ways to get into your computer. I haven't had any spyware download on my computer for a long time, confirmed by these programs. But better safe than sorry.

kirovman said:
Same goes for anti-virus software and firewalls. And some people don't have control over their computer all the time, sometimes family members use it.

Truth is, a lot of these spyware programs use sneaky ways to get into your computer. I haven't had any spyware download on my computer for a long time, confirmed by these programs. But better safe than sorry.
I have a bad habbit of being very paranoid when people use my computer
I never let anyone unless i'm standing right behind them :-/

And as long as you pay attention; spyware wont get onto your computer... i d/l cracks, warez, etc all the time and im perfectly clean. (I ran a spybot thing about a month ago out of boredom)

Plus it helps to watch task manager... i can generally tell you exactly how many processes i have running at any given time.

And i locked the majority of the startup registry keys, so nothing is going to be starting on boot up.

Ikerous said:
I have a bad habbit of being very paranoid when people use my computer
I never let anyone unless i'm standing right behind them :-/

And as long as you pay attention; spyware wont get onto your computer... i d/l cracks, warez, etc all the time and im perfectly clean. (I ran a spybot thing about a month ago out of boredom)

Plus it helps to watch task manager... i can generally tell you exactly how many processes i have running at any given time.

And i locked the majority of the startup registry keys, so nothing is going to be starting on boot up.

Yes, I am paranoid about people using my computer too, same thing.
I have to clean my brother's computer all the time though, he doesn't know the difference between spyware things and legit things, and his computer keeps slowing down when he gets the spyware. So i've set up something on his system that downloads updates for the spyware killers and does regular scans, just to stop me being bothered.

At the moment I am using the microsoft spy beta thingy, but I rarely download any risky things, I dont really download anything anyway. I just keep it because I had a bad time in the summer when I was in china and someone bought me an illegal Doom 3 ( well I couldn't get real version there) and it was full of dodgy chinese spyware. It was a pain to remove, and adaware couldnt detect it. But I removed it manually, after painstakingly searching the web. I don't want that to happen again.

Moral of the story is, don't use software from China, illegal or not.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76462

I personally have:
Adware SE = which is very good
Spybot: search and destroy= good, but don't use it's immunise feateure, cause there is a better program for that, even spybot says so, it recommends you to use it.
SpywareGuard = the program for immunising, really good
Spyware Blaster = also program for immunising, that is recommenden by spybot
The microsoft thing = which is very good, has even browser hijack protection.
Hijack this = good against browserhijacks, but i think the microsoft thing is enough.
Firefox = cause it owns

And for the person who asked what DSO exploit is:
http://www.nsclean.com/dsostop.html

Oh yeah and one really important thing to remmeber is, and I wish more people would remember it cause my noobie friends keep asking me stupid question causet hey think I'm a nerd. Well here is my secret, www.google.com, yep google is your friend. If you find some spyware with spybot or some other tool, and you are not sure if it is adware, heck on google first. I yesterday found soemthing which the microsoft scanner said was high risk but i found out it wasn't so bad.

Grey Fox said:
http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=76462

I personally have:
Adware SE = which is very good
Spybot: search and destroy= good, but don't use it's immunise feateure, cause there is a better program for that, even spybot says so, it recommends you to use it.
SpywareGuard = the program for immunising, really good
Spyware Blaster = also program for immunising, that is recommenden by spybot
The microsoft thing = which is very good, has even browser hijack protection.
Hijack this = good against browserhijacks, but i think the microsoft thing is enough.
Firefox = cause it owns

And for the person who asked what DSO exploit is:
http://www.nsclean.com/dsostop.html
Holy crap.. paranoid are we?

Haha no, it's just first I'm unfortunatly not a nerd, so i don't know a lot about comps, all I know is what i learned from experience and that has only to do with me trying to run games. But it also means that I can't fix things on my own very well.

Second thing is all those programs are so userfriendly and easy, and they save me so much trouble, I mean really. i used to have each week a nervous brakedown with 30 adware and 4 viruses on my comp, now I don't.

Back