Easter Egg! - Barney Speaks

Kinslayer

Spy
Reaction score
Screenshot:
ep2_outland_120000.jpg

Second line down, blue corresponds to Barney's speech. If you listen carefully, you can also hear him say it, though you never see him. This is right after you go back into White Forest base after the strider battle.

Sneaky Valve, thinking they can get away with using Barney Soundclips!

Nice find Kinslayer!

It's Barney's disembodied voice congratulating Gordon Freeman! I TOLD YOU HE'D DIE IN EPISODE TWO! I'm never wrong! EVER!

So in EP3 we are hunted by Barney's Ghost?
"Ooooo Gordon, About that beer I own you Oooooo"

No, they'll probably resurrect him.

Through SCIENCE.

Is barney dead? Or are you just joking, your making me worried.

I bet he's there it's just that there are too many rebels for Gordon to notice.;)

Wait! He's in one of the trunks, quick get him out. Come on people this isn't a magic trick.

You know this would have been a much more powerful scene if Barney had died at this point and hearing his voice congratulating us means that he still watches over us but Barney isn't dead.

I bet Barney has become a top-notch secret internal security and outbound dispatch officer or something.
In Half-Life, I found it interesting how security guards were standing around waiting to get you access to the next area in the smallest niches in the game.
I bet in Episode 3 you'll be entering the area where the Borealis is and a door will open and Barney (wearing a different uniform as to not be recognised immediately) will turn around and say, "Hey, Gordon, fancy seeing you in these parts!"

Woohoo? That's obviously the Barnster enjoying his orgy somewhere. The bastard.

BArney was out in the field (forward spotting party?) and congratulated Gordon over the radio.

I knew that was his voice, and I kept looking all over for him when I heard that.

I feel dumb, I never noticed it. Then again I was celebrating by shooting my pistol in the air like a freakin' cowboy. Beating the end gave me a great feeling inside.... like all was right in the world...

I felt the closure of the super portal was not epic enough. No music and just mag and izzy shouting over the radio..

I feel dumb, I never noticed it. Then again I was celebrating by shooting my pistol in the air like a freakin' cowboy. Beating the end gave me a great feeling inside.... like all was right in the world...

I felt the exact opposite. Everyone was cheering and happy, and thanking me. And I felt really sober, thinking, "A lot of people died in that battle." I wasn't happy at all.

And then Alyx comes up to me and tells me how amazing I was and how great a job I did, but I could still only think, "I'm wasn't the only person out there fighting. Everyone did a good job."

Rather than being elated I felt drained. Oh, to weep for NPCs.

I felt the exact opposite. Everyone was cheering and happy, and thanking me. And I felt really sober, thinking, "A lot of people died in that battle." I wasn't happy at all.

And then Alyx comes up to me and tells me how amazing I was and how great a job I did, but I could still only think, "I'm wasn't the only person out there fighting. Everyone did a good job."

Well, YOU were the one lobbing the Magnussons.

There does seem to be a fair bit of hero worship these days not only Alyx but the Vorts seem to indulge in it too "The Freeman posseses qualities we only thought to see in Vortikind" or words to that effect. It started in Episode 1 "Gordan you're my new hero!" etc. Does the player's ego really need massaging that much? Personally I find the excessive praise almost embaressing. I'm just a regular joe who happens to have the advantage on an HEV suit which is more than can be said for the poor NPC's.

There does seem to be a fair bit of hero worship these days not only Alyx but the Vorts seem to indulge in it too "The Freeman posseses qualities we only thought to see in Vortikind" or words to that effect. It started in Episode 1 "Gordan you're my new hero!" etc. Does the player's ego really need massaging that much? Personally I find all the excessive praise almost embaressing. Hey I'm just a regular joe who happens to have the advantage on an HEV suit which is more than can be said for the poor NPC's.

well ++ you also have more than a coded behavior. Poor NPC's ;( And hey if Barney is death there is still alot more of him left looking the exact same way. So we actually dont know how many Barneys we see in HL2 And ep1

He was made a legend for what he did at Black Mesa and then he kick starts the toppling of an iron-first controlled Combine city within days, when the Resistance had been trying for years and years. He has killed countless enemies and survived all odds time and time again (yes the HEV suite does give him a big advantage lol).

But he mere presence on the battlefield inspires everyone to fight harder, he bears a large orange battlsuit which holds the lambada symbol on the crest, he can be clearly seen as the hero of the Resistance. Im sure if he did talk, he would push the praise away though.

well ++ you also have more than a coded behavior. Poor NPC's ;( And hey if Barney is death there is still alot more of him left looking the exact same way. So we actually dont know how many Barneys we see in HL2 And ep1

Yeah poor Barney. His voice haunting the base is so poignant.

He's in a better place now. He's with the ghost cat he kept hearing during HL2.

i highly doubt barney is dead,but there was no mention of him at all in ep2. im very surprised,but there might be some huge comeback in ep3.

The Slick-killer does not get to be sad. :bonce:

He'll be sadly missed. RIP buddy. To think he'll never hand us another crowbar again. Sniff. You know, I just can't take it anymore! Really I can't! It's too much!

Back