Election results by county... check this out.

ya but that's not a fair assement ...most democrats live in cities ..populations are more densely packed in a city ..he also had most of the south which by no big surprise is the bible belt

Its perfectly fair. Two colorados, equate for one Los Angeles...I think to some extent.

Here's an easy generalization I made from this map:

Unintelligent hillbillies who live in the middle of nowhere voted for Bush.
Intelligent people who live in highly populated areas voted for Kerry.

And notice how New York went for Kerry. And you would think that the State that was hurt the most by 9/11 would know how to best protect itself?

So?

There is a difference between land mass and the population. That map is showing land mass, which has nothing to do with population.

lol @ electoral vote
If you are a senior majoring in computer science and are seriously thinking of leaving the country due to the election results, you might be interested in my international English-language masters program in parallel and distributed computer systems.

Mattigus said:
Unintelligent hillbillies who live in the middle of nowhere voted for Bush.
Intelligent people who live in highly populated areas voted for Kerry.

You are a funny guy, but what you said is completely wrong. I know of places in the middle of no-where which actually have smart people, I'll point to Oklahoma with Yamanouchi in it.

Bush won by 51%, land mass has bugger all to do with it.

I don't like the man, but he won.

Generalisations can be, and will be made, they have been throughout history. I would never say one state is 'dumber' than another unless I saw proof of it in high school grades or whatever.

I wonder what would have happened if the world had voted? What would the map look like for that?
I'm not saying we all should vote in the American elections (though with some issues at the moment I do wonder if the world should get some say in certain foreign policy issues) but it would be interesting.

Although I do admit on looking at the graph you've stabbed yourself in the back Othello.

Bush won 2.5m square miles
Kerry won 0.5m sqiare miles

Although population wise Bush got 150m and Kerry got 105m.

That means that, yes, it seems Kerry got the votes in densely populated areas. It is a fact that densely populated areas are more likely to see better services such as education, therefore it could be said that the IQ of Kerry voters is higher.

I would rather see some evidence myself though, as this is all theoretical.

burner69 said:
Although I do admit on looking at the graph you've stabbed yourself in the back Othello.

That means that, yes, it seems Kerry got the votes in densely populated areas. It is a fact that densely populated areas are more likely to see better services such as education, therefore it could be said that the IQ of Kerry voters is higher.

Education in the inner city is NOT better than out in the country.

Homer said:

Apologies if I'm wrong. I probably said that because I'd seen some really bad examples on TV docs etc. But I hope I didn't offend in my previous post.

Homer said:

I really do not know if that is true or not.

However around where I live it is quite true. The eduction system in small towns just plain sucks, to be frank. Only the big schools in larger cities can actually afford to do anything.

Education systems in both the big cities and the rural areas are lacking. The suburbs generally have the best school districts, and even many of them are lacking. I am happy to say I go to one of the better school districts in the nation.

I am also happy to say my county went for Kerry, and probably helped him carry PA.

burner69 said:

Unfortunately you aren't going to get evidence. I've seen people post statistics about the number of people in this state or that and their level of education and test scores, but it doesn't mean anything. A kid growing up in Wisconsin or Wyoming, working his fathers dairy farm or cattle ranch, gets up at 5:30 in the morning, works his ass off for 4 hours, goes to school for 5 hours, and then goes back to work on the farm. He's not looking to go to college, he's going to take over his father's business so school isn't that important. That doesn't make him any less intelligent than the guy prepping for lawschool in New England. He just has different priorities.

cronholio said:
Unfortunately you aren't going to get evidence. I've seen people post statistics about the number of people in this state or that and their level of education and test scores, but it doesn't mean anything. A kid growing up in Wisconsin or Wyoming, working his fathers dairy farm or cattle ranch, gets up at 5:30 in the morning, works his ass off for 4 hours, goes to school for 5 hours, and then goes back to work on the farm. He's not looking to go to college, he's going to take over his father's business so school isn't that important. That doesn't make him any less intelligent than the guy prepping for lawschool in New England. He just has different priorities.

Well said. Though it would make me question his knowledge of politics.
Saying that, it's not like politics is a big issue in schools here in the UK. What about the US, is it taught?

It is funny don't you think that politics is not taught, it could be said because it is of little academic use. But it could be also said it prevents people from being able to see what their governments up to. Very Marxist me :)

Correlation between IQ and voting

Scroll down to the bottom.

Draw your own conclusions.

This chart was brought to my attention in my mass-comm class. This one that I have found refers to the 2000 election. Whether or not there is one floating around in reference to this year's election I do not know. But this is a moot point.

-For the most part this is supposed to be a joke people, so don't explode with rage just yet ;) .

However around where I live it is quite true. The eduction system in small towns just plain sucks, to be frank. Only the big schools in larger cities can actually afford to do anything.
Yeah, but those are probably private schools that only the wealthy people from suburbia can attend. AKA Bush country. The inner city schools across the country are awful.

seinfeldrules said:
Yeah, but those are probably private schools that only the wealthy people from suburbia can attend. AKA Bush country. The inner city schools across the country are awful.

I don't necessarily agree with this statement, but if it's what you truly believe, what does that tell you about Democrats being that most large municipalities in the US (Chicago, NY, LA) lean heavily Democrat?

seinfeldrules said:
This may have been true a couple of elections ago, but these days suburbia is quite divided, at least in the swing states.

burner69 said:
Well said. Though it would make me question his knowledge of politics.
Saying that, it's not like politics is a big issue in schools here in the UK. What about the US, is it taught?

It is funny don't you think that politics is not taught, it could be said because it is of little academic use. But it could be also said it prevents people from being able to see what their governments up to. Very Marxist me :)

Well it's been a long time since I was in school, but in middle school I know it's mandatory for children to study the history of US government and take what's called the Constitution test. In highschool US History and US Goverment classes were required which both covered politics. MY nephew is 11 years old and he's already studying this stuff.

I wouldn't question a farmers "knowledge" of politics. He's going to study the same subjects and get the same basic, Federally mandated level of education as a kid going to school in New York, but his environment is going to shpape his views, same for the Kid in New York. The kid on the farm is more likely going to grow up a Republican because the Republicans address the issues that concern him, and I'm not talking about moral or religious issues. I'm talking about business and agriculture.

This may have been true a couple of elections ago, but these days suburbia is quite divided, at least in the swing states.
If you look at the country by county breakdown you can see Bush clearly won much of suburbia, but lost most of the major cities. I dont have numbers on it, but I would say its a 60/40 breakdown in those areas.

I would say Bush won the suburban areas of the states he is popular in, and Kerry won the suburban areas of the states he is popular in. The swing states were a tossup. Now if you go by landmass, then sure, Bush won. But I'd be interested in seeing how the stats fall in population.

All I know for sure is Kerry won the Philly suburbs. Particularly Montgomery County, my home county, which has 1.6 Republicans for every Democrat.

Back