Emotional reaction to the end of Ep 2 (Spoilers)

amaranth

Reaction score
Eli was a nice guy and everything, but I didn't feel anything when he died. Which is probably weird...

Anyone else have the same experience?

I had about 0.5 frames per second at that bit, so... No.
But the fact that Eli was dead was very upsetting. When I played through again, though, after fixing my frame rate issues, it was pretty harrowing, mostly because of Alyx's reactions.

Not so much a little bit but not so much. I was actually more sorry that Alyx was crying:angry:

Pvt Shadow Runner

I was upset that Eli was dead. Alyx didn't get any pity tears though.

Felt a little bleh that I knew it was going to happen and couldn't stop it first time.

After that I couldn't give a shit, really, I find it really hard to emotionally invest into a computer game, I can lose myself in a movie, in RL I can feel really sad or angry or upset and all those things, but when I'm playing a game?, rarely does it twang an emo string anymore, unless its annoyance, or glee at acheiving/failing at something.

I felt it alright, but i didnt actually cry like some people. i saw a video on youtube a while ago fo some guy playing episode 2 for the first time and at the ending he start tearing up...

...you know when they throw him on floor and then its that windows and sun is shinning in...I always get so strange feeling abaut that!Its like morning or maybe evening is here and hes gone now...I remember those sunlights made me somehow even more sad...brrrr

I felt... empty... like a big part of me was torn out. As if someone important to me died.

:(

Me too... but I instantly realized that somebody important had to buy a farm-ticket at the hands of The Advisors. It slammed-home their deadly ruthlessness, and queued-up a G-man avenge/revenge sub-vendetta in E3. Without Eli's death, The Advisors risked being pixitoonishly-correct.

I would have felt it if Valve kept their big mouths shut and didn't say an important character was going to die. While i was playing it i was expecting it so it didn't really come as a shock and ruined it for me. Why Valve why did you have to say you were going to do it.
Although the scene was still kickass and did tug on my emotions a bit mainly due to Alyx's reaction which was well executed, best yet I've seen in a game.

Felt a little bleh that I knew it was going to happen and couldn't stop it first time.

After that I couldn't give a shit, really, I find it really hard to emotionally invest into a computer game, I can lose myself in a movie, in RL I can feel really sad or angry or upset and all those things, but when I'm playing a game?, rarely does it twang an emo string anymore, unless its annoyance, or glee at acheiving/failing at something.
Ditto.

I actually laughed, proves my 'the black man is always the first to die' theory. First main good guy that is.

To be honest, i felt relief, you could tell something was gonna impact you on the last scene, of course Gordon wouldn't die because well it's Gordon, and i didn't believe Alyx would die because she was your main partner in HL2 - HL2Ep2, leaving of course only Eli, i mean yeah it's meant to be a massive emotional scene, but it's more like "Well....he died....cool?" kind of thing. And to be frank, i reckon it would have been a more intense scene if Gordon or Alyx died. I guess the scene wasn't taken lightly by Valve when they were making it and it was a spectacular ending to an awesome episode and a perfect suspense scene to be left on while you wait for the next ep or game, but it's hard to create an emotional attachment to a pixel

I think if Barney had showed up at the end and then suddenly got killed, that would have been more moving, since everyone loves tubso so much.

I had about 0.5 frames

I'm sorry, but was that sarcasm?

Even though it was very laggy for me, I wasn't happy to see him killed but I knew it was going to happen. Call me a nerd all you want, but I went to bed thinking about it and it was horrible.

I'm sorry, but was that sarcasm?

Nope? The computer I was playing it on was not very good, and during that scene and the vorts reviving Alyx it slowed down hugely for some reason, which I was able to later fix with a launch option.

I cried. :( I become hugely attached to characters in stories, whether it be a book, a movie, game, etc...

I wasn't that affected by it, not because I don't become attached to characters in video games, but mostly because I never had any say in what happened. I really thought it was lame that after everything seemed over, when I had finally beat back the combine, the advisors suddenly swoop in during the last cutscene and kill a main character and there's nothing I could do. Because of this, I think it was hard for me to really feel like I had any investment in the events of the game.

Nope? The computer I was playing it on was not very good, and during that scene and the vorts reviving Alyx it slowed down hugely for some reason, which I was able to later fix with a launch option.

Half a frame a second? To me, that makes no sense. I'm not technical guy, but you can't have half a frame, surely?

Well, technically it could be still witting the pixels to the screen and only get halfway done in one second. But I'm sure he had a higher frame rate then that... maybe 5.

It's the same as a frame every two seconds.

Sorry, did someone say something? Anyway, this is getting circular. I had a very poor framerate the first time Eli died, so it wasn't as sad as it could have been.

I am curious. What be this mystical launch option that can free me from the shakles of .5f/ps?

Well a friend spoiled the ending and I didn't really care about Eli and sorta knew since he was black, was involved in a long speech segment just before (I thought at first he was gonna die on the couch) and he became this father-in-law-figure. But I must say, the way he died was wayy different than what I had thought.

Made me feel empty, but movies provide a much stronger reaction to me.

Definitely the most confronting moment in a videogame for me but I definitely didn't cry, I was just sorta... shocked?

I wasnt really bothered, i just oh well the coffin dodger has finally copped it.

I was angry, angry because he was going to tell us something big about the gman... but then he died.

It was mostly surprise that I felt, although it seemed like something bad had to happen.

Oh my God! Someone that intelligent dying from brain destruction? They ate his god**** BRAIN?!? Oh that is awefull. He was so kind. Wow dog kicks ass. Poor Aylx
...credits...
(the final sob from Alyx)
Yuck that was awfully forced, wasn't it.

In retrospect:

ha

I felt traumatized at Eli's death, and I still do.

I also felt very sorry for and sympathetic to Alyx.

and I was also angry and pissed off because of the cliffhanger but it was still great for the storyline.

I'm glad he died. He didn't die before when i glared at him through a cutscene...i take that as a personal insult.

Omg, some people cry over the coded death of a bunch of codes and scripts.

Back