Ending poll

Did you like the ending, and did you care for Alyx?

• Liked ending; cared for Alyx

Votes: 88 69.3%
  • Liked ending; did not care for Alyx

Votes: 9 7.1%
  • Did not like ending; cared for Alyx

Votes: 24 18.9%
  • Did not like ending: did not care for Alyx

Votes: 6 4.7%

• Total voters

Varsity

Reaction score
I think I've worked out why some people like the ending and others hate it - it's all about whether you cared about Alyx or not. I'm betting that options 1 and 4 are the msot popular by a mile.

Knowing the story is not over, i like the ending. If i knew there was no hl3 i'd be pretty annoyed knowing there'd never be any answer to what just happened.

As for Alyx, i really hope that's not the end of her. It would feel so pointless if she died.

Liked the ending, and cared for Alyx.

But I don't think she died, don't think the G-Man would let that happen.

Why on earth not? since when is the G-man a nice guy?

Ritz said:
Why on earth not? since when is the G-man a nice guy?

He didn't ignore her like she was some random bystander, but paid attention to her, examined her and laid his hand on her arm.

i hated the ending. and not just when time stops- the whole last level was rather a let down after the WONDERFUL level with the manipulater...i really think valve could learn some lssons from bungie, the Halo ending was 10 times better IMO. tons of enemies, time running out, and a ring to get off. MP3 player rocking, warthog roaring.... man that level f*cking owned. Especially when you realise that your ride out of here has been blown to smithereens, and you have two minutes to grap the other dropship. then when you finally get there you must leave your warthog... man i ran like the world was ending. well, i suppose it was.

but HL2... i cared for all the characters, i took a bullet for alyx more than a few times, and i stuck up for barney till the end. i never was a a guy who killed barney for his ammo in HL: in fact, i reloaded the game when he died, just to try and save as many people as possible. so i loved the characters.

but its not the actual ending i dont like, i dont mind what happens with the Gman... its still annoying but its not out of character or anything. what I didnt like was the fact that it happens just as i was screaming at the screen "COME ON YOU F/CKING COMBINE, COME AND GET ME!" and getting ready to run guns blazing out of the building, swearing at those f*cking bastards. i wanted a timer, i wanted excitement! i wanted the skyscraper to be exploding , with only a couple of minutes till it exploded, and i wanted to take down as many combine as i could before it blew sky high.

but no- just as i reached the high time of my experience, just as i was reaching the height of the climax, just as my heart was racing, ready to kick some ass.... it stops. and the credits roll.

to me, that was a shit ending. i dont care how profound it was, or how it set the scene for HL3... it was a cheap ending, that occurred just as i had built up a hell of a lot of stress. i had to take it out on CS:S after that instead ;(

In other words, you went in with fixed expectations and couldn't adjust. ;)

It looks like the theory was wrong, then. Not a single vote on option 4! :p

Liked the ending, the anticlimax was a bit surprising, but great, and is definitely what Valve wanted you to feel. Cared for Alyx a lot. Still hope that she is alive, which will be seen in an expansion/HL3.

i didnt like the ending, dont care for alyx. i think alot of people like her because it's a female character or something.. i liked barney myself, he knows how to fight and can be very helpfull.

But Alyx isn't just good looking, she actually saved your ass on several occasions.

There's a rumour that Alyx will be playable in the next HL chapter...whether it'll be set before or after the end of HL2 is an important factor though.

smacky said:
i didnt like the ending, dont care for alyx. i think alot of people like her because it's a female character or something.. i liked barney myself, he knows how to fight and can be very helpfull.
if barney died or eli or kleiner (or even that damned headcrab), i'd care also, it are actually ingame chars you got familiar with :).

An Alyx expansion would rock (even though you wouldn't be able to see her) because DOG would be in it :)

Option 1 here.

People have to realize that Valve is trying to break away from the standard, "Big boss fight/all answers revealed" ending, so I really think we'll find out all in HL3. I kind of knew HL2 wouldn't really answer anything, but just be a fun game to play. We'll just have to wait for three.

This feels like the Matrix 2, the ending really shows you that you're prepairing for something bigger. But seriously, they made alyx that great to look at, and then there's nothing?
She gotta come back in HL3, she like the doctors or Barney now (only prettier lol); would be a lot less fun without.

I like a realistic ending when not all the main characters live.

I liked the ending, although I don't think it would have mattered much if Alyx were standing right next to you or not. I didnt feel there was enough character development for her to really make me feel like "caring" for her when/if she dies.

Maybe the gman is gordon's messenger... like everyone has a messenger or something thats in relation to the gman, alyx has a diffrent messenger when the time "stops" what made me think this is because time didn't really stop you could slowly move around if i recall correctly, and maybe through alyx's eyes she saw gordon paused there while she talks to another gman. maybe the only people that get the gmen are the people that are going to save the world and lead the resistence.

The story was amazing, every single thing in the game suprised me. From Barney to Breen, the game was full of suprises, and even more mystery.

PvtRyan said:
He didn't ignore her like she was some random bystander, but paid attention to her, examined her and laid his hand on her arm.
All he did was walk over and brush some lint off her arm, in a sort of "Hmm...fascinating. *brushes lint*" way.
Stop assuming the G-man is Jesus, he isn't.

Malfunction said:
People have to realize that Valve is trying to break away from the standard, "Big boss fight/all answers revealed" ending, so I really think we'll find out all in HL3. I kind of knew HL2 wouldn't really answer anything, but just be a fun game to play. We'll just have to wait for three.

but the reason that sort of ending has become a cliche is simply because its the best ending. people want to see a climatic ending that wraps up the story, to most people an unconclusive and unrevealing ending is rather a letdown. i think the only reason people like this ending is because HL3 is coming... but what if HL3 didnt come? how would you feel about the ending then? ;)

I thought that it was a decent ending, even though Alyx meant nothing to me. I'd have actually cared more if it was one of my random Resistance buddies. :O ( Dave, noooo! ) Those guys and gals are awesome. And they don't run away when you need them.
For the purpose of drama, I think it would be more interesting if she dies there and then.

I'm just very glad that they didn't do a standard rubbish boss battle. Doctor Breen in a giant robot suit or some crap. Virtually every previous purebreed FPS, including the original (shudders), has had one of those and they're reliably awful. :)

I care for Alyx as you can care for a computer game character. Of course she is not real but anyway you can feel something towards a movie, book, computer game or any other fictional character. I like this character. The bit in the end when time stops (stops? you can move a little) and G-Man removes a speck of dust from Alyx's hand is fantastic.

I came to 2 conclusions with HL2.

1) The Half-Life series was never truely designed as a triology (many of claimed otherwise).
2) HL2 was reminscent of Matrix 2, where the third game/movie will introduce the "big picture".

I don't see how they could logically take Half-Life 3 without making some sort of illogical plot twist. I do like the ending in respect to how you didn't have to beat some boss to beat the game, and that entire time stopping effect was amazing. However, I don't like the ending because most movies/games that attempt these types of plot "diversifications" end up failing because of it.

Didn't like the ending, cared about Alyx.

But then, I probably didn't like the ending in the same way I didn't like the ending of the first half Life, so maybe it'll grow on me.

didn't like the ending, but cared for alyx.

the ending was just a little too empty for me and not enough action, but it was good that valve didn't use a "boss of the game" for the ending. Lets hope that alyx doesn't die, and neither does barney.

favorite quote in the game, "look it's your pet, the freakin' head humper".
-barney

I cared for Alyx from the first moment i met her ffs. Whenever I could, I was staring at her ass.. When Gordon takes the elevator without her at the end to go kick Breen's ass, I was expecting her to say "I love you" etc. I also liked the other main characters in the game, barney and the professors. But I didn't give a shit about those rebels.. They were just mostly in the way.

We can see Alyx just frozen from time and we have not see Alyx going die. So I felt G man will care about Alyx.

Alyx was alright, but man, what happened to Lamar!? :(
Lamar was by far the best character in the game.

Don't worry, if you watch until after the credits you'll find out what happened to Lamar... She went after the G-man.

True... Lamar rocked. He came back after the credits though, and jumped at "the camera".

The ending was alright, but Alyx was just annoying. So bland, mediocre voice-acting, and unrealistically tough, mowing through hordes of combines and then just being like "Oh, hi Gordon! How's it going?" (Yeah I know, Gordon isn't exactly realistic in this regard either)

I liked Kleiner, Breen, and Father Grigori. I think my favorite line was "Hop on up Lamar!," said by Kleiner as he pointed to his head.

The ending was alright, well within the style of the game. I very much enjoy the whole feel of mystery.

The end has you thinking, not everything is presented on a silver plate. There are very suble clues in the game as to what the hell is going on.

Alyx seemed pretty cool to me. Father Gregori was great fun, I hope we see him in the future.

We do not see Alyx die. That explosion might only have knocked her down. The citadel will not nessesarly cramble immidiately, there might be plenty of time to escape. And dont even mention "realism", there is no such thing in this game.

It is not nessesary that Alyx is saved by the Gman.

Back